How Would You Describe Agility To General Public

This is what I finally put

"Come & be entertained by xxxx handlers from all over NSW running xxxx dogs.

Agility is a colourful maize of hurdles, hoops, weave poles, seesaws, A-Frames & Dog Walks.

52 Events See dogs play Snooker, Gamblers & run in Pairs "

Along with all the general information & some nice colourful action photos.

I am a bit unsure about using the words "Dog Walk", as to the general public this doesn't really mean what it really is :confused: I thought of things like High Planks, Balance boards but nothing really struck me

Agility is a colourful maize of hurdles, hoops, weave poles, seesaws, A-Frames & Dog Walks.

I am a bit unsure about using the words "Dog Walk", as to the general public this doesn't really mean what it really is :confused: I thought of things like High Planks, Balance boards but nothing really struck me

I think that Jo Public would not know what weaving poles or an A frame are either. :)

ETA Hope I don't sound negative. Personally I think that agility from the spectator POV is really exciting and I am sure the photos will help drag the public along. Once seen they will come back.

Edited by nawnim

This sounds great Sheena. I am sure it will get people in,especially the "dogs playing snooker" part- very clever. I am sure no-one will go away disappointed.

We are trying to arrange our schedule so we can get there to watch, and maybe take some snaps of a sport we really have not tried to photograph before.

Di

I think that Jo Public would not know what weaving poles or an A frame are either. :)

ETA Hope I don't sound negative. Personally I think that agility from the spectator POV is really exciting and I am sure the photos will help drag the public along. Once seen they will come back.

Weave poles & A-frame are fairly self explanatary, but calling an object that is high off the ground & the dogs run full pelt along (we all hope), coming to a sudden stop at the end...calling it a dog "walk" :laugh: Oh well, they will just have to come along & find out for themselves & as for dogs playing snooker :laugh:

I love trials where the public come along with their kids to watch. It doesn't happen at many, but I would like it to happen in my small community, :) as nothing much ever happens out here except for the annual Timberfest (woodchop) & that attracts thousands.

It is maze not maize, they may expect to see some corn :laugh:

I would probably mention the words 'obstacle course' in there - that seems to be the phrase people understand the most when agility is being described to them.

Good on you trying to drum up some spectators Sheena, you may get some new people interested in joining with their dogs too :thumbsup:

It is maze not maize, they may expect to see some corn :laugh:

I would probably mention the words 'obstacle course' in there - that seems to be the phrase people understand the most when agility is being described to them.

Good on you trying to drum up some spectators Sheena, you may get some new people interested in joining with their dogs too :thumbsup:

Whoops...had it right on the poster, just had a mind slip here (happens often). Yes, apart from getting some interest from the public, I think most clubs could do with a bit of a recruitment drive. In fact, I wouldn't mind suggesting, putting up a stand & having all the visiting clubs put some info on it, to hand out to any interested persons. :)

• 3 weeks later...

looks great...

I think we should stick posters like these up in our local cafes and takeaways - to get more spectators. Though long term - we could use more participants...

Well...that's my long term goal. If we could get more people along to watch then maybe we might get more people to join one of the local clubs. There are a LOT of dogs in the community, whose owners do nothing with day in day out :(

Next year's event here is going to be enormous as it is the weekend before the Nationals start in Brisbane & we are only 4 hours south. Big thing for a little town :thumbsup:

Great job Sheena. We have marked the dates on the calender and really hope we can make it there for a while- (depends on hubby's work schedule). The poster has just the right mix of information and intrigue, and should attract lots of people.

Good luck

Di

Edited by tikira