Supplements For Older Dogs

I've noticed that Sascha is getting a bit stiff on these cold mornings and as she is nine years old I'm thinking it might be worth including something in her diet to help with her joints and hopefully head of any issues before they become real problems.

So what are your tried and true supplements to keep your older dogs joints in good shape?

Fish oil capsules and Rose-Hip Vital Canine are what my 12.5 year old BC is on (previously has been on Joint Guard). Pretty happy with how she is doing on that combination. Feral, happy and moving really well. She has had some slightly arthritic issues in her wrists which while she was on Joint Guard use to bother her but don't seem to since starting the RHVC.

Here is a link to the website for the Rose-hip vital canine - http://rosehipvitalcanine.com.au/

There is also already a DOL thread on it.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/245061-another-joint-supplement-rose-hip-vital-canine/

Omar Vet clinic have a reasonable price for it online and somebody else mentioned a slightly cheaper place in the other thread. Its certainly cheaper to order online and look around then order directly from the company or through a shop.

The other products which might be worth considering are Joint Guard and Glyde.

As with humans what works for one dog might not necessarily work as well for another dog so if you don't get the results your looking for with any one particular product then you can always try another one until you find something that does the job.

I have my younger dog on the product as well (she was the test guinea pig out of my two) and even with a truckload of ortho related issues and as messed up as she was there was huge improvement initially using the product. Her problems are complicated though so the fact she has regressed of late isn't really related to the product. She is still taking the product and I am still sure its continuing to help her.

Edited by ness

Guest Clover

Fish oil and green lipped muscle is what my oldies get (+ the boy is on monthly cartrophen for his knees). It seems to do the trick. I have just started my youngster on the green lipped muscle as well for her joint issues.

I give all my dogs VAN Health Booster, on the recommendation of a DOLer when Moose was recovering from his burn. I've kept them on it for 4 years now. Zoe is 14 and has had CL surgery in her younger years and is still very spritely.

I used to give my ol girl fish oil and it worked well she got very stiff coming into the cold weather in her senior years, she also used to have carprofen injections in may, they used to make her like a puppy again was so nice to see.

My work place has been doing a trial over the last 12 months or so of Hills J/d food. We've used that as the complete diet in some of our really arthritic patients and had some really good success with it. You don't add any supplements with it as it can throw out the balances.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone just to let you know that Rose Hip Vital really does work on my old Golden Shane 12yrs I have just about tried everything but he was still pretty bad.He has been on Rosehip Vital for about 3 months now and it is working great So far I have been giving him 15 caps day with 5 1500 mm fish oil caps and two vit E caps.

The reason he is on such a high dose of fish oil is dogs need more of it than the human dose.

I get the Rose hip caps because they are only $35 dollars from Chemist Warehouse for 250 caps much cheaper than on the net but I think I will try the Rose Hip Canine powder 500 gram but a bit worried he might not eat it in his food and the caps dont taste of anything so when given in his food with the fish oil caps and vit E he has no idea they are in there.

The human Rose Hip Vital is no different to the Canine dose as I have spent hours researching this.

It maybe be a good idea to try the caps first to see if it works for your dog as you will be out laying only $35 as it works out cheaper than the small container of the Canine powder.

Shane can now go for walks and the distance is getting longer and longer to build up his muscles again.

Also his coat is soft and shiny in fact in himself he has never been better.

It Does Work for chronic Arthritis.

post-43198-0-89732800-1372898298_thumb.jpg

Sprinter Gold Energy E and ACE are both great products for older dogs, particularly the oil. I just use human Glucosamine 1500mg/Chondr tabs for the oldies, but the E worked the best.

Seeana - my really fussy BC girl will eat the RHVC powder so long as its mixed in with something yummy. Mostly its tuna or sardines or yoghurt and she now polishes her bowl up.