Non-shedding Dogs

I don't want to hijack the latest 'which breed' thread so I thought I'd start my own.

I've noticed that 'non-shedding' seems to be a requirement lately of about 80% of prospective dog owners who post on the forum. What is it about shedding that people object to? I personally don't care about a dog shedding because I see how much my own hair sheds and it clogs up the vacuum turbine (Dyson) far worse than any dog hair.

Besides, a part of owning a dog is about the mess -- I don't visit my friends who own dogs and expect their house to look like a show home. I don't mind if there's a spot of fur floating around; that's all part of owning a dog.

Unless there's a specific allergy to dog hair, then I can't understand the 'non-shedding' requirement. So many fantastic and suitable breeds are ruled out by prospective puppy buyers due to them shedding.

If the most suitable breed for your lifestyle happens to be a shedding breed, would you compromise on the shedding aspect? Question is open to all; I'm keen to read opinions!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of folk think "non-shedding" will mean a cleaner house (which it does)

What they fail to realise is that "non-shedding" equals "high maintenance". I think some folk don't think non-shedders still shed into their coats, not onto the floor and furniture.

And of course, that hair in the coat mats unless removed by brushing. And the coat grows and grows.

Personally, I can think of no shedding breed comparable to a poodle in temperament and character.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Honestly, I have shedding dogs (pugs) and don't notice a huge deal of hair because my house is designed for dogs (some intentionally, some not).

The pugs are black, most of my furniture is dark coloured so I don't actually notice any hair. The lounges still get wiped down weekly. I have dark wood floors, so don't notice any hair, and most of the rugs are dark colours too. Most of my clothes are black or dark colours, so I don't notice the hair.

The most hilarious time I notice their shedding is when I go to mums as she has white tiles throughout her house - then I realise how much they shed :p

I'd rather brush my guys regularly to reduce some of the shedding, and most of the rest gets picked up in the usual weekly clean, rather than send a non-shedder to the groomers or fuss around with grooming/clipping/whatever myself.

Oh, and they sleep on my bed, in my bed, on my pillow, so it's not like their hair doesn't get everywhere, I just don't really notice it!

Honestly, I have shedding dogs (pugs) and don't notice a huge deal of hair because my house is designed for dogs (some intentionally, some not).

The pugs are black, most of my furniture is dark coloured so I don't actually notice any hair. The lounges still get wiped down weekly. I have dark wood floors, so don't notice any hair, and most of the rugs are dark colours too. Most of my clothes are black or dark colours, so I don't notice the hair.

The most hilarious time I notice their shedding is when I go to mums as she has white tiles throughout her house - then I realise how much they shed :p

I'd rather brush my guys regularly to reduce some of the shedding, and most of the rest gets picked up in the usual weekly clean, rather than send a non-shedder to the groomers or fuss around with grooming/clipping/whatever myself.

Oh, and they sleep on my bed, in my bed, on my pillow, so it's not like their hair doesn't get everywhere, I just don't really notice it!

Oh how I would love to see your home after 1 week with a fawn Pug (or 2) :laugh:

I have Rottweilers and Pugs - the hair drives me crazy...years ago I had small fluffy dogs and being a groomer wasn't a problem for me. Some days I wish I had fluffies again and no dog hair everywhere...

Edited by Andisa

I think a lot of folk think "non-shedding" will mean a cleaner house (which it does)

What they fail to realise is that "non-shedding" equals "high maintenance". I think some folk don't think non-shedders still shed into their coats, not onto the floor and furniture.

And of course, that hair in the coat mats unless removed by brushing. And the coat grows and grows.

Personally, I can think of no shedding breed comparable to a poodle in temperament and character.

I've actually really come to admire poodles. I'll admit to buying into the whole 'poodles are prissy' mentality, however, after meeting quite a few standards and minis, I've fallen in love with them. They are so fun-loving and goofy but still maintain an air of grace -- they're delightful dogs!!

On the coat front, I'd much rather a shedding dog. Zeus sheds like a mofo but boy is his coat easy to look after. Very little brushing and bathing only once every 6 months. There's no doggy smell and he's always hi-gloss :D

Kirah's wire coat on the other hand is a nightmare; she's all tangles, dog smell and dirty. I swear her coat absorbs all the dirt and grime and she requires monthly washing and daily brushing to keep her fur from sticking together (causing dreadlocks) :(

I do love Aussies though so she's worth all the hard work -- oh and forgot to mention the hand-stripping! (I've still yet to learn how)

I think some parents worry about their kids' exposure to potential allergens. Also there are a lot more kids with allergies these days, all round. I've never known so many kids with nut/egg allergies.

I was a kid with asthma and allergies when I was little - back then it was relatively uncommon.

My (now 20yo) daughter had asthma when she was little - not uncommon by then. (Luckily she grew out of it.)

These days, just about everyone seems to be allergic to something.

As a dedicated poodle-lover who has owned a few non-shedding breeds and cross-breeds over the years (including my incredible bichon frise Mozart - RIP), I'd say that while I love my curly dogs, the coat maintenance is a huge draw-back.

If it weren't for my allergies, I would be seriously considering breeds with normal fur. So much cheaper/easier to look after. Especially for families with kids.

Oh how I would love to see your home after 1 week with a fawn Pug (or 2) :laugh:

I have Rottweilers and Pugs - the hair drives me crazy...years ago I had small fluffy dogs and being a groomer wasn't a problem for me. Some days I wish I had fluffies again and no dog hair everywhere...

Haha even after just playing with a fawn in the park I'm covered in hair! I do love that my blacks shed less than fawns, even though sometimes I wonder if it's just because of my dark clothes and furniture that I don't notice it as much :laugh:

I have two shedding breeds currently and intend to get a non-shedding breed next time. My reasons:

I want to be able to travel with the dog without a car covered in fur

I have asthma and hayfever and although my dogs don't bother me that much i suspect they do set me off a little

Cleaner house

The second two are minor issues for me and obviously I have two dogs that i love and it doesn't really bother me currently. It mainly comes down to planning to travel and wanting to be able to just throw the dog on the back seat of the car without hair getting stuck into the upholstery everywhere LOL That said I wouldn't buy a dog solely based on whether it shed, I'm very picky about temperament and compatibility with my lifestyle in terms of activity level, etc so fur is only one factor in a long list.

I still find it surpring that so few terriers are suggested when it comes to non-shedding dogs. Many of them require hand stripping as they don't lose their coats like normal dogs (or shed I guess). Norwich, Scottish, Norfolk, Aussie, terriers (amongst others) don't shed but are never recommended.

I guess the main difference is that these dogs do still have fur as opposed to hair in regards to allergies.

Both my guys have medium hair, they get a bath once every few months and a brush every now and then...that's it. I wouldn't have the time or inclination to have a dog I had to groom regularly.

Luckily none of the non shedding breeds are breeds I want to own, not at this stage anyway.

Oh god yeah dog hair in the car is awful!

Go the station wagon - can't stand it when I get into a car and the seat itself is covered in fur. But that can be managed by getting the dogs to ride in the back I suppose.

(OK maybe I would end up with a poodle anyway...) :laugh:

Don't look. Don't see. LOL.

Dory is 'fairly' non sheddy. So she needs to be stripped, which takes time. (Hides her guilty face) This season I've been really slack.

Whipping a brush through a short, but shedding coat is loads easier and less stress.

And while I'm not partial to a really doggy smell ie. dirty dog/wet dog/skin funky dog, 'dog' smell has long been a familiar smell for me. I love burying my nose into Dory's fur.

I'm the OP in the other thread so will answer here too :)

As you might gather from my login name here, my heart really belongs to the JRT. I lost my beloved old girl just a few weeks ago and am helping myself to deal with her loss here. We aren't in a hurry to get another dog, but I want to be well researched when we do. I recognise that a JRT is perhaps not the best choice for toddlers so am looking at my options.

Frankly, I find dog hair in the house to be pretty offensive. I'm house proud and don't like seeing little tufts sitting in the corner and having to sweep every day to keep on top of it. My JRT was a short hair and did shed more than is my ideal, but my hubby's old lab/golden mix shed like nobody's business. If there was a cobweb anywhere, indoors or out, it was full of dog hair. The screen doors were caked in it. The pot plants were full of it. It drove me insane frankly, and I'd rather take care of the coat of a dog than feel disgusted at hair everywhere all the time.

I know many people don't mind it, but it bothers me. Each to their own :)

Yuck JRT, that would drive me crazy too! Did the lab have a double coat because I find that makes a huge difference. My basset has a single coat and hardly sheds at all, the kelpie has a double coat but thankfully she only blows it once a year all at once so as long as I catch it then and brush it all out with the rake I never have furbulls floating in the house which is nice.

Many people think of non-shedding coats as 'hypoallergenic' compared to shedding coats too. I know of people who are allergic to dogs saliva, so coat type is not the only allergen to consider.

I have a shedding breed and find that he doesn't shed much at all, and has no doggy odour. He is washed regularly but rarely brushed. On the other hand I have friends with non-shedding breeds who, if life gets busy and grooming falls by the wayside, have a distinct doggy 'lanolin' smell after a while. I recognize that I'm too lazy to have a non-shedding or long-coated breed. I'd rather walk a dog than fiddle about with grooming any day. To each their own though.