Cushing's Diease Questions

violetmay

My dog had an ultrasound on the 3 of March due another issue, and that ultrasound found he had enlarged adrenal glands and most likely cushing's disease. At this time his other problem was more serious (spleen tumour which has been removed and he's recovered well) and as we wasn't showing any cushing's symptoms it wasn't a problem.

But now he is starting to show signs of cushing's now (excessive hunger & thirst that we have noticed, and the vet today said he has a little pot belly).

Anyway, I just assumed, it would be an easy fix with tablets until I did a bit of research, and read how dangerous some of the tablets are.

Vet said we have to have get a blood test (either 4 or 8 hour, she is ringing the lab and going to let me know and he will be booked in one day next week to spend the day there).

Just freaking out a bit here, I thought this was going to be nothing problem (just money for the tablets), but now I am reading that people are electing not to treat cushing's due to the awfulness of the medication.

Really don't want him to be so hungry and thirsty all the time. Doesn't feel right not treat him.

Anyone got any cushing's stories to tell me? How was the medication? Did you have to use gloves to handle the medication?

Thanks

Sorry don't know about Cushings but just wanted to say I hope your boy is okay. Good luck, fingers crossed that he gets better soon.

Thanks Iggy mum. I've just realised I put this message in the wrong section, should have been in the health questions forum.

We had a Griffon diagnosed with Cushings at 7 or 8 years of age. She had to stay at the vets for 10 days until the vet was confident the dosage was correct. We had to use gloves with the pills. She needed the dosage adjusting a couple of times over the years. We stopped the medication because she no longer needed it about 12 months before she passed away at the ripe old age of 16 and a half years. In our case it was worth doing.

Violetmay - I'm at the same stage as you - USS done and talking about the dexamethasone suppression test. My dog has little in the way of symptoms (?? maybe drinking a little more). I'll be really interested to hear what others have to say. Best wishes to you and your little guy.

Sadly I have a bit of experience with Cushings and have now lost 3 dogs to the effects of it.

Tests aren't as bad as they used to be but they are fairly pricey and extensive.

I lost one dog on Monday to the likely effects of a pituitary tumour. He was 14 so when Cushings was diagnosed recently, I decided not to put him through all the full on tests/meds at his age.

My other dog was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago and has been on Trilostane ever since. He's been quite well most of the time. That costs $95 per month - he's on one tab a day. He happily takes the tabs in food. He was 9 or 10 when diagnosed.

When they go on meds, most dogs last for up to 3 years (one of my other dogs lived for 4 yrs). Without meds, it's up to 12 months.

Edited by dogmad

Thanks for the replies everyone. $400 quote just for the testing (8 hour one and some blood tests).. sigh.. this isn't going fun.

Edit.. Gee doing so much research and my head is spinning. Really don't know what to do.

Dog is extremely well at the moment, best his been in years (he's only recently had a large tumour removed so now has a new lease on life). It's just a joy to see him so well and happy.

Reading accounts of dogs who go on the medicine, it makes them sick and miserable. People seem to spend $1000's on testing and medication and all it seems to be is make both them and their dog miserable.

I'm thinking of holding off the testing for a while. Really don't know what to do.

Even if he has the testing next week, I don't think I even want the treatment. Just seems horrible.

Edit again.. Lily123 - check out the forums at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/index.php - you'll be able to read lots of stories there to help you on your journey too. Best wishes to you too, it doesn't look like it's going to be an easy journey for either of us.

Edited by violetmay

From my experience, if I have an elderly dog I will not put them through all the testing.

My old girl was 12 and the tests were around $4000 in 2004 plus the meds were over $100 per month and they contained DDt so you had to wear gloves, it was awful. She did live another 4 years which was miraculous but whilst they are on a drug for Cushings, dentals and other surgery become quite challenging as they have to go on drips beforehand, it's all got to managed.

Can't remember how much the tests were last time, I'm thinking around $1000-$2000 nearly 3 yrs ago.

Thanks dogmad. My dog isn't that old I think. He is a matlese and we've had him 6 years. We got him from the pound when he was approximately 3 (their estimation). So maybe he is 9.

He's got moderate/severe arthritis in his back legs, but that is brilliant with catrophen.

He's had spleen cancer and that was fixed and he's amazingly well now. Death rate is extremely high for these dogs though, average life expectancy after spleen cancer surgery is 3 months (he's at 2 months 3 weeks LOL). We/he were extremely lucky with him regarding this surgery - honestly didn't think he would survive it. Were so lucky the vet picked it up too.

I don't think he is old enough, or sick enough not to treat. But, he's just so well now, I don't want to ruin his quality of life.

Hubby, two daughters and I decided that his quality of life is more important. Read some awful experiences on that cushings forum earlier.

So I'm going to ring up on Monday and cancel his testing on Wednesday, and I will leave it a month and see how he goes. I can get the testing done at anytime I feel he is getting worse.

He was so sick from the cancer for so long, I want him to enjoy feeling well and happy. He's not going to get that with cushings treatment.

This decision feels right, maybe in a few weeks or months I'll feel he needs testing and treatment, but right now he can wait.

My 8 1/2 year old GWP is suffering from Lymphoma, and after a year long steroid use - combined with his chemo treatment, has come down with a second condition, namely iatrogenic cushing's syndrome.( He is battling on with his dropped belly (on fluid tablets), propelled by spindly legs, has to be covered up with clothes, and still finds a way to rub body areas raw when not watched. :(

Trilostane has kept my boy in pretty good shape for nearly 3 years. It is nothing like the drug I had to use before.

I'd rather have had him for these 3 years than the up to 12 months he would have had without the drug.

Obviously you'd have to check with your dog's history as to what is feasible. I do understand that he's been through a lot but I'd discuss your concerns with a vet so you know what you'd be facing and then make a decision.

Things have come a long way since 2004 when my poor girl went through it, I'd vowed never to do it again but my current dog is doing very well.

I have had a maltese with cushings. The tumour was on her adrenal gland. At the time they were trialling medication, but we opted for surgery at Syd Uni where they removed the adrenal gland. The other adrenal gland kicked in and she lived for years. Find out if surgery is a better option.

I have had a maltese with cushings. The tumour was on her adrenal gland. At the time they were trialling medication, but we opted for surgery at Syd Uni where they removed the adrenal gland. The other adrenal gland kicked in and she lived for years. Find out if surgery is a better option.

Yes if the growth is confined to one of the adrenal glands then surgery can be the best option. My old standard schnauzer (RIP) had this. The surgery was not without risks but his quality of life was so much better afterwards. He started showing symptoms at 12 and had the surgery around his 13th birthday. He lived to be 16.