Greyhounds!

Jellyblush

After Roo a Grey will be a walk in the park. Not being experienced enough to cope is the last thing you need to be worried about, greys are very easy to live with.

you don't even notice that you have 5 dogs I also have a 12 year old Kelpie and a 8 year old ACD I couldn't stand having 5 of them they would drive me nuts (unless I worked from home or didn't work). When the ACD came she was very stressed and was constantly pacing except when asleep. The greys calm demeanour has certainly helped her settle.

Agree. We have well cared for & much loved racing greyhounds for neighbours. Never matters how many are there, the situation remains the same. They are the easiest dogs to live next door to. But their owner selects very carefully for his racing bloodline ... & twitchy, rattle-headed dogs are not suitable. He even goes to great lengths to socialize puppies. His neighbours' grandchildren & our small tibbies get used (most willingly!) in doing this. He's proud that he cares for them like this.... yet they still race at champion standard.

You've nailed it, describing their calm demeanour, no matter what. There are small dogs in the adjoining properties, only separated by a chain-wire fence so the dogs can see thro'. And these greys treat it all, with calm, good grace....&, dare I say it, with sweetness.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with calm, good grace....&, dare I say it, with sweetness.

Yes, that's them in a nutshell, generally :) My boss has some bitches he has bred with and when deciding if to mate a bitch, one of the things he takes into consideration is her demeanour.

Cheers very much T. I can see why Roo and I would be unattractive to a rescue with a high demand for their dogs. Not home every day, plus Roo's issues. But I'd still like to talk about it. One reason given for example was that I said Roo & I like to go jogging and this is bad for Golden's. Well, I'd be happy NOT to go jogging and walk instead- more than happy to adjust my life for a new dog. A chat would be great I think so I could explain things like that.

If they had any idea just how prepared you are to alter your life to best suit your dog they would be flocking to you!

Did I misunderstand or did they say jogging is bad for Golden Retrievers?

I thought adult golden retrievers would be great candidates for jogging :confused:

I agree that anyone would be really interested to have you on board knowing the commitment you have :)

No, that's why they rejected me! Because I like jogging ( would be happy not to though, and just walk) and also because I have one fence of 1.6 metres (it's my house, so I could increase the height and would be happy to) and because 2-3 days per week out of the home is too much for a golden retriever (I guess they hope to rehome to families where someone is always there?). Also because of Roo's issues, which I totally understand.

On the other hand - the GAP approved me! Wooo! Now I just need to have a proper discussion with them about Roo, and whether it's realistic

Edited by Jellyblush

Wishing you all the best, I hope things will work out with GAP. I have a great friend who fosters, she's had some absolutely gorgeous dogs- including a lovely 'foster failure', who is one of the most laid back dogs I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Interesting about Goldies.

I adopted my GR through GRR & I'm suprised about the jogging. I jog with my Goldie & she loves it & suffers no ill effect.

Did you ask to foster rather than adopt? I'm guessing that fostering would require more time spent with the dogs? And they might see your dog as not being a good influence? I do know that the dogs welfare comes first & they'd want to ensure the best chance of adoption. As you say, they are popular dogs & they have no shortage of people offering to foster. I have a friend who was knocked back too as she wanted the dog to sleep outside (Fair enough).

Good news about GAP! :thumbsup:

Edited by dee lee

No, that's why they rejected me! Because I like jogging ( would be happy not to though, and just walk) and also because I have one fence of 1.6 metres (it's my house, so I could increase the height and would be happy to) and because 2-3 days per week out of the home is too much for a golden retriever (I guess they hope to rehome to families where someone is always there?). Also because of Roo's issues, which I totally understand.

On the other hand - the GAP approved me! Wooo! Now I just need to have a proper discussion with them about Roo, and whether it's realistic

That's great news about GAP :thumbsup:

Yes!!!! After what I've seen of GAP here, you're with great people. And they'll welcome your willingness to discuss Roo & whether it's realistic.

Dee Lee, your goldie is gorgeous! GAP is on the case, I spoke with them today with a view to going up to meet a couple of dogs in July, they really impressed me with their understanding of what I need.

Also, when I picked up Roo from daycare today we had a chat about an older grey currently being fostered by one of the trainers there, Roo and she get on well so I might have her come stay for the weekend and trial some very short absences with filming. Huzzah! I am hearing you all on having one male one female and that's what I've discussed with GAP, getting a male, but if Roo and Mia already get along, then perhaps it's worth at least a weekend to test it :)

Is the grey at daycare a GAP grey Jelly? I would be wary of having short absences even if they do get on at daycare. Sorry I'm not trying to be a downer, I know how devoted you are to Roo but in your own home it could be a whole different kettle of fish.

Fantastic regarding GAP!

Could you have a play date with the greyhound at daycare for a couple of hours at your place with the dog's foster person present? Just as a bit of trial to see how Roo is with dogs at her place.

you can't have someone else's foster dog for the weekend. It is not their's to hand over.

Hmm maybe I was too excited. Any stay (and it hasn't been decided, just an idea I got excited about) would be a decision for the rescue, not the fosterer. It would be proposed to the rescue by the fosterer and for them to say no. It has been through the GAP program.

I am very much hearing your caution though. Thanks Stan's Mum. I do get very excited when I think I've hit on a new good idea and appreciate a voice of reason.

It's great you're excited I am as well, not just for you but for a wonderful foster home for a deserving grey :) You've already made the most important and informed decision by going with a reputable group, beleive me I have everything crossed this works :crossfingers: