Zipp Looking For A New Home

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saffi just doesn't suit her DD.. She really is a Zipp..

I just had a call from the vet - she was desexed today and they also told me she has demodex..

What are the odds on rehoming a dog with demodex?

Can I?

Or should she stay with me until she is completely clear?

Poor little girl. I am just about to go and pick her up and bring her home to a nice warm crate.

You'll need to work hard to cure her Demodectic mange. It's often caused by poor housing, poor diet and stress etc. I got a dog with this condition at Christmas 2011. It took 3 months to get the all clear. They are on meds and special baths and need periodic testing.

Once my foster got the all clear, the vet left him on meds for 2 more weeks. He was a bad case and had survived horrific abuse although he was an older dog.

I rehomed him to a very loving home and then months later he came down with it again - it got worse due to a vet misdiagnosis and wrong treatment. He was then taken to the PAWS vet and his new owners couldn't cope with the regime and he came back to me, took another 3 months across Christmas 2012 and into 2013, to cure him once more.

The vet said it could happen again but hopefully not, the underlying cause of the condition could still be there.

I do know of many dogs that have recovered after treatment and then they are OK forever more, it's to do with the immune system.

Edited by dogmad

We had a little dog come to us looking like a Chinese Crested... after months of intensive treatment, she is actually a gorgeous scruffy terrier... and has the loveliest soft coat.

The first thing to try if the demodex isn't overly advanced is a spot on that does ALL bugs - like Revolution. If that doesn't start showing results fairly quickly, a trip to the vet for a stronger plan of attack could be necessary to stop it getting worse.

T.

We had a little dog come to us looking like a Chinese Crested... after months of intensive treatment, she is actually a gorgeous scruffy terrier... and has the loveliest soft coat.

The first thing to try if the demodex isn't overly advanced is a spot on that does ALL bugs - like Revolution. If that doesn't start showing results fairly quickly, a trip to the vet for a stronger plan of attack could be necessary to stop it getting worse.

T.

T she has it on her tummy, under her chin and neck, her legs.

There are patches all over her and some are more 'red' than others - most of them are just hair loss patches.

The only thing she is on is the ivomectin (spelling??) once a day (half a mil).

I have Zig on Advocate (he is normally on Revolution but this doesn't treat the demodex mite apparently, only the other mange mite)..

Vet seems to think she will make a quick and full recovery.

She seems a lot happier here and not stressed when the humans go out (like she was where she lived before).

She will have to be rehomed with another dog or someone that is home all the time.

She is a lovely pup, doesn't pull on lead, scoffs her breaky and dinner, is learning very quickly to leave room at the door when someone comes to allow them to get in, waiting for treats and dinner.

She gets so excited when she is getting a pat that she stomps her front feet..

She is very gentle with kids but very reactive to the birds in the yard (she chases them)..

I think once she goes up for adoption and people meet her, they will fall for her, she is an absolute sweetheart.

The ivomectin should clear it up nicely Staffyluv... your vet is obviously on top of things... *grin*

She sounds like a complete darling - and combined with those gorgeous "love me" eyes, you'll be beating off applications to adopt her... lol!

T.

The ivomectin should clear it up nicely Staffyluv... your vet is obviously on top of things... *grin*

She sounds like a complete darling - and combined with those gorgeous "love me" eyes, you'll be beating off applications to adopt her... lol!

T.

I noticed today while she was asleep that she has scratched herself raw under her neck and chin. So I took her up to the vet and they did a skin scrape and only found dead mites (they took skin from 4 different places). So it has worked already.. She needs to stay on it though..

She also has antibiotics now to help as the scratching has caused a secondary skin infection which is common (according to the vet) in these cases.. It looks so gross poor baby, I bet it feels horrible for her as well. It is like pustules ready to bust and a few have busted by the look of it from her scratching it.

He said I can dilute down some malaseb and wipe over the area but she still can't have a bath until it has been 10 days or so since she was spayed. I can give her a tub next Monday at 11 days, I am sure she will feel much better once she is nice and clean again.