3 Oldies And An Odd Situation

I enquired about this program here in the ACT with the RSPCA and I got the feeling the dog would need to pass a temperament test first which has made me reluctant to leave them any money. I may be wrong. I doubt mine would pass such a test.

:confused: I thought your Lottie came from the RSPCA?

I enquired about this program here in the ACT with the RSPCA and I got the feeling the dog would need to pass a temperament test first which has made me reluctant to leave them any money. I may be wrong. I doubt mine would pass such a test.

I am not sure what your query is in relation to but Lottie did come from the RSPCA five years ago. She was rated an orange dog because she was a resource guarder. She has shown no signs of being a resource guarder since I have had her and she has won two obedience titles but she is an epileptic and I fear may not be good with children. I am not sure how she would go and I don't plan on finding out because I plan to outlive her.

ETA I consider your query to be off topic and personal. Why are you asking? :confused:

Edited by nawnim

but Lottie did come from the RSPCA five years ago. She was rated an orange dog because she was a resource guarder. She has shown no signs of being a resource guarder since I have had her and she has won two obedience titles but she is an epileptic and I fear may not be good with children.

Apologies, I'm going OT, too, nawnim. But that's interesting what you say about Lottie behaving differently in the two environments.... shelter & then with you at home. It sure shows the power of the environment in dog behaviour (but, then, it does too with humans).

I was wrong with my first guess about 11 yr old Sita in the case I cited. She'd been an only dog of an older lady since puppyhood, had not had much to do with other dogs, didn't like the cat that hissed at her in the retirement village where she lived. I thought she'd best match a similar environment. But the highly experienced Cav Rescue Qld lady went & assessed her. And said she'd be fine adjusting to a different environment. And she did.... as I said. Walked in & was completely at home with a busy home of 4 adults, 3 male tibbies & 1 cat.

but Lottie did come from the RSPCA five years ago. She was rated an orange dog because she was a resource guarder. She has shown no signs of being a resource guarder since I have had her and she has won two obedience titles but she is an epileptic and I fear may not be good with children.

Apologies, I'm going OT, too, nawnim. But that's interesting what you say about Lottie behaving differently in the two environments.... shelter & then with you at home. It sure shows the power of the environment in dog behaviour (but, then, it does too with humans).

I was wrong with my first guess about 11 yr old Sita in the case I cited. She'd been an only dog of an older lady since puppyhood, had not had much to do with other dogs, didn't like the cat that hissed at her in the retirement village where she lived. I thought she'd best match a similar environment. But the highly experienced Cav Rescue Qld lady went & assessed her. And said she'd be fine adjusting to a different environment. And she did.... as I said. Walked in & was completely at home with a busy home of 4 adults, 3 male tibbies & 1 cat.

Yes Mita it does. At the RSPCA she was part of a litter (5 months old) and she was the runt and she was not going to let anyone take her pig's ear. I usually leave my dogs to eat in peace although I am supposed to add tasty morsels to her bowl when she is feeding to continue the training the RSPCA did.

As far as the children issue I have grandchildren and I have seen enough of her with them to know she is not safe. I have made arrangements for her with my children if anything should happen to me. It is all in my will.

Edited by nawnim

It is not a given that the RSPCA would pass a dog for further adoption even if it had been adopted from them originally - I don't think. They have a period of a few weeks only where they will take a dog back for adoption without further temp testing. I have a dog here that came from them originally but I too would be reluctant to see him returned to RSPCA as he is a little timid and I would be afraid of him failing.

Only a little off topic...can anyone enlighten me please... one of the big Melbourne shelters was advertising recently for hospice foster carers to take on pets for the rest of their lives that had come under testament (i.e. deceased owners had left a bequest to the shelter in return for caring for their pet for the rest of his/her/their natural life.)

I imagine that these would go to hospice foster carers so that the bequest conditions would be met (where, I assume, the pet would normally be PTS by that shelter because it sneezed once or looked scared frown.gif) - but does anyone know if those foster carers are supplied food and vet care for those pets or do those items come out of their own pockets?

Thought I would ask here before I emailed the organisation (who would probably only ignore me anyway).

Edited to make more sense...well, I tried!

Edited by RuralPug

Well it doesn't make sense to me. Is she ill? Why would you take all of your pets to the pound one day? If you love them, at that age, you care for them until they pass away naturally - unless there is something going on with your health etc.

She isn't taking them to the pound. She is elderly and wants to ensure that they don't get fobbed off to the pound. If I was on my last legs I would do this with my girl, who is not rehomeable.

MUP. What happened to these dogs?

I've tried calling every day this week and she hasn't picked up so I don't know. I'll try again tomorrow but after that I guess the ball's in her court.

Given the situation maybe something has happened to her. Perhap you should notify the police. Just a thought. Not wanting to be alarmist.

MUP. What happened to these dogs?

I've tried calling every day this week and she hasn't picked up so I don't know. I'll try again tomorrow but after that I guess the ball's in her court.

Given the situation maybe something has happened to her. Perhap you should notify the police. Just a thought. Not wanting to be alarmist.

Good thinking. I'll do that this afternoon. Although someone said they saw her in town the other day (Tuesday) so perhaps she's just changed her mind.

Rural Pug I read up on the RSPCA program a few years ago, as I understand it the costs are covered by the original owners bequest money.

Thank you for that! Sounds like it works the way the bequesters intended then. Good to know! smile.gif

I called the police and they went around to check. I asked them to update me if it wasn't good news so that I could assist with the dogs. He said he would definitely. No phone calls and her dogs aren't in the pound so I'm guessing she's fine and just changed her mind.