Spectatoring

Leah82

Hi All,

Was just checking out the schedule down at the KCC park in Melb thinking it could be a good day out to head down there and watch some dog shows. Unfortunately the websites are all targeted towards ppl showing.

So before I waste my time heading down to Skye I thought I'd ask a few quick questions as I've never been to a dog show before.

Are spectators allowed?

Is there usually an admission fee?

Can I bring my dogs?

Any other do's or don'ts to make sure we don't get in the way of proceedings and/or look like complete newbs?

I'm new to showing but happy to answer as best as I can :)

Are spectators allowed?

Yes!

Is there usually an admission fee?

No, not to come and watch.

Can I bring my dogs?

I don't think there's any rule saying you CAN'T, but it's probably better not to. That way you can talk to breeders (if that's something you want to do) without having to worry about your dog. Some dogs at shows do not appreciate other dogs in "their" space (eg. in their gazebo, or near their crate/trolley)

Any other do's or don'ts to make sure we don't get in the way of proceedings and/or look like complete newbs?

I would say feel free to approach people to chat about their breed and dogs, but not while they're preparing to go into the ring or in the middle of grooming or training, as it can be a very busy time for the exhibitor.

Watch the dogs being exhibited without obstructing anyone else's view (don't stand in front of a gazebo where there are people sitting and clearly watching the show.)

Don't make any negative comments about the dogs or exhibitors as you never know who is friends with who and who might be listening!

If you have no idea how a show is run, it might pay to find someone who is happy to sit with you and explain the proceedings, eg. which class is currently being exhibited and why some dogs come back into the ring, etc.

Have fun!

it would be interesting to take our Cocker. firstly because liver roan is not listed as a colour in the Cocker Spaniel club of VIC website.

and also he was a show puppy before an undescended testicle forced him into early retirement so it would be interesting to see if any memories of misspent youth come back :p

attempted to get him to 'stack' a few weeks back which according to my partner he used to do very well...no idea now :shrug: was very funny to try though.

Will probably drag the other half along as well so one of us can hold them somewhere else if we want to talk to breeders.

Can I bring my dogs?

I don't think there's any rule saying you CAN'T, but it's probably better not to. That way you can talk to breeders (if that's something you want to do) without having to worry about your dog. Some dogs at shows do not appreciate other dogs in "their" space (eg. in their gazebo, or near their crate/trolley)

Agreed, nothing worse then people who bring their dogs along and they have no idea how shows go - they often stand in the way and hold people up, then people crack it with them.

They let dogs get in the way, bring them into your marquee, can't chat as the dog is over whelmed with so much going on....

Edited by SwaY

if you are thinking of going soonish the shows are inside, space is at a premium and the noise is :dropjaw: . I would not take your dog. Much easier to see what is going on and to speak to people without a dog in tow. Space is really tight.

And leave poor mannered, noisey, sticky fingered, snotty nosed children at home....

That is my own personal request :o

Oh so mine would be fine to come along then

If they are none of the above them bring them all :laugh:

The other week we had kids running indoors, letting their mums dogs out, running past Great Dane faces, screaming,

and being little brats. :mad

If mine did that I would lock them in the crates!!!!!

If I was visiting I might bring them - under tight control, but if I was showing for the day I wouldn't as I would expect them to be very annoying :)

I would leave them home with dad :)

Sadly yes, some are very well behaved others a nightmare!

Last year some kids were riding on the backs of trailers as they were driving off, one kid fell off and got hurt.

I'm not a huge fan of dogs being there that don't belong to the exhibitors. I've just found that a lot of the time, the public don't know how to behave or how their dog should behave and when you're already nervous about showing, having to watch out for stray fingers or dogs getting too close to a crate can be stressful (well I stress when dogs get close to my girl in her crate, she doesn't like dogs approaching her in "her" space).

One tip is, if you want to talk to someone, maybe wait until they've gone in the ring. I'm no good to talk to until after I've gone in the ring.

Agree with others is saying that taking your dog often isn't the best idea .

Generally people want to chat & also believe there dog can go play with other dogs & this isn't the case.

The show environment can be very overwhelming & like already mentioned very space restrictive.

Some venues may be more suitable but All Breeds shows i would say a big no especially if inside .Inside shows area actually very hard to be a spectator .

If your wanting to see Cockers & maybe show yours off then maybe consider the Cocker club shows but the club could give you more idea,s

We encourage any people that phone us to come dogless unless you wish to sit by yourself & not interact at all because with the varying set ups & people often sharing with other breeds exhibitor set ups are a very busy place so any spare dogs not confined can become an issue & some shows are harder to interact with exhibitors .

Many free areas you can't stand in such as marshaling areas & you will be told to move on so unless your partner plans to just stand in the backrow & see nothing whilst holding the dogs then i would consider exactly what you want out of your day at the show .

Not all breeders will be chatty as much as dog shows are great to see breeds its also a very social time for exhibitors who often make a day out of it with friends .

Children - love them the polite ones who are well behaved. Did not love the ones who were kicking a soccer ball to each other in the ring next to ours (that group had finished earlier than ours) on Saturday!!!!!

Before I started showing I had no idea what to expect. I did take my dogs to an indoor show, but it was with the purpose of one of them seeing her breeder for the first time in about 10 years and I had someone who could help manage the other. Plus I was very very aware of what was going on and making sure my dogs stayed out of the way, and was happy for them to go back in the car if needs be. But when researching breeders I also went dog-less and it was much easier to talk to people that way.

Don't be upset if people refuse to talk to you, hopefully they are hust polite about it (in my experience some are and some aren't!). When I went trying to find breeders to chat to with the intent of getting a dog at some point there were heaps that wouldn't talk to me. Their loss as I wouldn't look at their dogs (and probably still won't), but the people who did speak to me I got recommendations off and I still now have a good relationship with several of them. Of course keeping in mind when you choose to speak to them!! When they are getting their dogs ready or waiting to go in the ring, stay away! But outside of this time I would hope that most people are friendly to those wanting to find out more about their breed. you will probably have to initiate conversation. Personally I love talking about my dogs (is there really anyone here who doesn't!!) and love talking to people who are coming to find out information at shows. I show, I don't breed, so if they are looking at getting a puppy I'll point them in the direction of others there that they should chat to about that.

I think shows can be pretty unfriendly to many members of the public unless they have the confidence to just go and start talking to people. And I agree the advertising about them is aimed purely at people who are going to show, I'd love to see friendly advertising (that is easy to find) to the public to encourage them to come along and see some beautiful pedigree dogs! And maybe even some guidelines with it so the questions you've asked everyone knows an answer to upfront!

Thanks Guys, will probably save bringing the dogs till the Cocker show, it's in Oct so assuming it'll be outdoors by then.

And don't worry we don't have any snot nosed kids yet :p

And while I like to talk to people about their dogs we're not going to be in the market for a puppy for quite awhile, we'll probably wait until we have snot nosed kids first :D