Spaying

Hi all well yesterday I took my staffy bitch to the vet to be spayed and aborted she is 10 months old and was pregnant with 8 pups.

But the reason im posting is I have heard that spaying a dog can change their behavior Pepper is a very hyper dog and I dont really want her to change is there any truth to them changing

Thanks in advance

I think one reason people associate spaying with behavioural change it that it tends to coincide with the end of puppyhood.

Provided you adjust your girl's diet for the fact she no longer requires food to grow and don't let her get fat, I expect you'll not notice much change at all. At least you won't have to deal with hormonal mood changes! :)

It only slowed down my toller for as long as it took the wound to heal, though she's a total sook and whenever anyone visited she would roll onto her back so they could see the surgical wound and whimper pitifully while they told her how brave she was. To be honest I think she was pretty disappointed when we took the stitches out :laugh:

THe only alteration to temperment I have seen is it made my bitch who could be a total hormonal cow into an even the same every day of the year bitch. When she was entire she was lovely then the devils spawn, then a total harlot, followed by the devils spawn, then sooky couldn't look at her or she looked like she had been beaten to have her phantom babies and the devil's spawn again before going back to nice dog.

Speying meant she was noce dog all the time and we all breathed a sigh of relief, especially our poor little Stafford who had unwittingly got to close to her at times when she was channeling the devil and found himself under attack for no reason.

I agree with HD many people blame speying for a bitch becoming overweight, but as HD said they require - from memory - around 60% more calories while growing than they do once the are fully mature adults. That of course depends on exactly what they do once they are adults :)

I agree with HD many people blame speying for a bitch becoming overweight, but as HD said they require - from memory - around 60% more calories while growing than they do once the are fully mature adults. That of course depends on exactly what they do once they are adults :)

Actually spaying/neutering slows down the metabolism and reduces energy needs by about 10-20% (from memory, don't quote me on this) due to no hormonal activity. To prevent weight gain I'd slightly reduce her food intake and see if she stays the same or loses any weight -- if weight loss occurs, bring her portions back up a bit. Edited by Hockz

Actually spaying/neutering slows down the metabolism and reduces energy needs by about 10-20% (from memory, don't quote me on this) due to no hormonal activity. To prevent weight gain I'd slightly reduce her food intake and see if she stays the same or loses any weight -- if weight loss occurs, bring her portions back up a bit.

I have heard that before but after having two bitches speyed as adults adn not needing to reduce calories I wondered if it was a wives tale :)

Basically if they are fat feed them less, if they are skinny feed them more :)

(also to a point if you are feeding them nothing and they are fat get a thyroid test )