Pound Surrender Fees

:(

Tamworth charge $19 per day (plus fees) to be paid if you've got a stray you need to reclaim.

7 x 19 = 130

It's an attempt to recoup the boarding fee? Do they hold the dog for 7 days instead of PTS immediately?

No, it's separate from the reclaim issue. They would recoup their money if/when people reclaim their animals. I don't think any dog would eat $18/19 worth of food a day, especially when they don't serve the top food in pounds. I really understand that all councils have to watch the money but a flat surrender fee as others here have suggested sounds a fairer way to go to me.

The pound I am talking about tries to rehome but when an animal is surrendered, it can PTS very soon after. With the new fees, I fear that the animals won't get that rehome option if the owner chooses the euthanasia fee.

Sorry and flame away if you like but I think when you take on an animal you do so for life.

There needs to be some kind of penalty for dumping your dog at the pound, it's not the responsible way to rehome. That would be finding a new home yourself (generic you of course, not directed at anyone) as part of your responsibility for that animal.

With that said I can understand why councils implement fees. Yes it's to the detriment of the animals in some cases but that's not the councils fault, it's the fault of a population that cannot seem to take responsibility for their pets.

No flaming from me, I quite agree an animal is for life. I think the main points here are that there are two fees and that they were set with no consultation with the rescue groups who do take the animals from the pound to rehome when they can, and that these fees will negatively impact on their small resources.

If anyone has the actual dollar amount of the surrender fee from their local pound, please send it on.

And I'm assuming none of that "extra" money the pound gets for rehoming a dog gets passed to the rescue group who does the actual rehoming?

I would very much doubt it.

Wagga Pounds surrender fee was around $130 and they would try to rehome/send to rescue depending on the animal/space, etc.

The surrender fee was pointless IMO as they have deposit pens for after hours and people would just dump there animals in there, most weren't microchipped (especially cats) and if they were the people just claim not to own the animal.

Funnily enough the deposit pens were probably a better option as the animals would get minimum 7 days, instead of potentially only 1-2days for surrenders. Although there are benefits to surrendering like finding out the animals history, this was rarely passed along to rescues/new owners tho.

I believe pounds/shelters should charge a fee to cover some costs, however, it shouldn't differentiate between rehome/euthanise. Also there should be a standard fee for an entire litter!

Just updating that I had a very productive and polite meeting with the council rep. and was quite pleased with the outcome and information gained. The $70 was reported wrongly and is actually $50. The $133 was $50 surrender fee plus 7 day's upkeep. Council will be flexible with surrender fees and their priority will always be to rehome first, not to automatically euthanize. As suspected, cost is always a factor and the cost to house animals with no surrender fee was becoming unmanageable. They are hoping that it will hopefully make people think twice about their responsibilities. I still would have preferred one fee as the two are confusing but apparently the object to rehome where possible is the same with both.

As there are groups that work with the pound and the facebook page has had great success, they don't intend to just euthanize if there are options they can try first. :thumbsup:

While I had the opportunity, I took along figures on how some of the other pounds rehome and pointed out that it can be done with local vets on board to provide a permanent cheap rate of desexing and vet work, then educate the people adopting that they are taking home a healthy animal with all (or most) vet work done for the price.

I know this won't happen overnight but at least it has been put out there to a receptive and interested audience.

Nothing is perfect but at least I have brought it to their attention that things can be done to improve the situation, and established that their intentions are to rehome as many as possible.