Pound Surrender Fees

The pound in my locality has just introduced a surrender fee which is causing quite a bit of drama amongst the cities residents. Actually, there are two - $70 if you want to surrender an animal for euthanasia and $133 if you want the pound to try to rehome. The dismal thought is that people will choose the cheaper option, tie a lot of dogs to the pound's gate after hours, or there will be a lot of people "finding" an animal and bringing it to the pound, as there is no charge for that. Of course, microchipping isn't done as it should be to enable people to do that.

Can any rescuers or those in the know who regularly visit pounds, please let me know if there is a fee to surrender in your city/town and what it is?

I might mention that this pound has several groups who work with it very well to rehome. One group takes a lot of surrenders before they end up in the pound and are now worried that they will be inundated by those looking for a cheaper option, and rightly so. Apart from this, the pound has come along in leaps and bounds, putting all the animals on their facebook page and working with rescue.

Any information would be helpful!

What a despicable act ! So your dog only deserves to be rehomed if you have the money to afford it? Seriously? People surrender for many reasons, but a lot do so due to financial strain, what a terrible position to put someone in. More reason to move animal welfare to the federal level where penny pinching doesn't affect who lives and who dies.

No surrender fee at Mildura pound. They just fill in a form to say they are surrendering the dog/cat. If it is a surrender they can be rehomed/rescued straight away they are also the first at risk to be PTS

What a despicable act ! So your dog only deserves to be rehomed if you have the money to afford it? Seriously? People surrender for many reasons, but a lot do so due to financial strain, what a terrible position to put someone in. More reason to move animal welfare to the federal level where penny pinching doesn't affect who lives and who dies.

They have to run the pound somehow.

Where I used to work it was around $20. That doesn't cover a skerrick of the cost of rehoming an animal.

Where I used to work it was around $20. That doesn't cover a skerrick of the cost of rehoming an animal.

I dont disagree with a fee of some description- possibly around same as euthanasia at the local vet so that people take the decision seriously since that is what may be the result anyway.

That said some dogs are better off in the pound- rehomed or at least being fed and having shelter so I guess no easy answers. I do think on the whole that surrendering should have a small consequence to try and discourage people going and replacing their pets.

I do disagree with a higher fee to rehome since I think that all dogs should have that as an option assuming they are mentally and physically sound enough.

Edited by Jumabaar

They don't desex prior to rehoming at this pound - they only get a microchip if not already implanted. The rescue groups do all the vet work when they take an animal and then rehome though.

I would think the fee is to deter surrenders and the secondary factor maybe to recover costs. Veterinary fees are only a minor portion of running a pound. There is also the cost of the buildings to house them, food to feed them, administration costs, utilities and other costs.

I think the decision to increase the fees is very shortsighted however. People will instead dump their dogs in the community and over load other resources that will in the long run, cost the Council more to deal with. That's assuming its a council or local government facility.

If it is run by a Council I would consider writing an email to the GM and copied to the Mayor and Councillors. Ensure the email is written clearly and objectively and not overly emotional.

I'm putting together a submission for the council and need information on what other pounds charge, etc. Will then try to arrange a meeting with the Environment head and Ranger. I suspect strongly that it is a cost exercise and is already done and dusted, but no harm in alerting them to alternative measures. Also putting together what the bigger pounds do in regard to desexing and all vet work before the animal leaves the pound, so anyone who knows how Blacktown pound/council was finally persuaded to change their system, please let me know.

Lots of experience with putting these together, so definitely will not be overly emotional. Thanks, Anne, for your advice.

I just find it despicable that pounds don't at least attempt to give every surrendered animal a chance to be rehomed. It should not be the owner (or ex-owner) who determines that, based on how much they pay.

These are animals going into a pound facility, not a tip. It's just pathetic that pounds still operate along waste management principles. ANYWAY. RANT RANT I could go on forever.

My local pound is the Lost Dogs Home unfortunately, and I can't find a surrender fee for them.

The road to change at Blacktown was, in my opinion, handled appallingly. Initially it seemed the requests were falling on deaf ears. However it changed over a period of time.

Those agitating for change would have succeeded in a much shorter time frame had they not decided that an aggressive and nasty campaign should be waged. The Council and it's representatives, including pound staff, were often abused and held to ransom in a variety of ways.

one thing you may wish to suggest is a desexing scheme for reclaimed strays. Registration of an undesexed dog is $150 in NSW whereas the desexed cost is $40.

that $110 difference can be utilised to "fund" a voluntary desexing scheme where the animal can be released home desexed and registered for minimally more money than just the registration cost only. Win Win for council, community and the owner.

Your rates run the pound along with every other essential service like roads etc, it should be funded adequately to be able to run.

The road to change at Blacktown was, in my opinion, handled appallingly. Initially it seemed the requests were falling on deaf ears. However it changed over a period of time.

Those agitating for change would have succeeded in a much shorter time frame had they not decided that an aggressive and nasty campaign should be waged. The Council and it's representatives, including pound staff, were often abused and held to ransom in a variety of ways.

I know what you mean. Seldom people on the front line are actually asked even though they are the ones the changes will directly affect, and also the perfect people who are in a position to know what is appropriate and what is not. My comment earlier was certainly not aimed at the pound staff, heavens no, we all know these silly sort of penny pinching measures are dreamt up by some bright spark further up the line that has nothing directly to do with the area concerned. How I wish it was different !

Sorry and flame away if you like but I think when you take on an animal you do so for life.

There needs to be some kind of penalty for dumping your dog at the pound, it's not the responsible way to rehome. That would be finding a new home yourself (generic you of course, not directed at anyone) as part of your responsibility for that animal.

With that said I can understand why councils implement fees. Yes it's to the detriment of the animals in some cases but that's not the councils fault, it's the fault of a population that cannot seem to take responsibility for their pets.

Edited by Aussie3

Sorry and flame away if you like but I think when you take on an animal you do so for life.

There needs to be some kind of penalty for dumping your dog at the pound, it's not the responsible way to rehome. That would be finding a new home yourself (generic you of course, not directed at anyone) as part of your responsibility for that animal.

With that said I can understand why councils implement fees. Yes it's to the detriment of the animals in some cases but that's not the councils fault, it's the fault of a population that cannot seem to take responsibility for their pets.

No flaming from me, I quite agree an animal is for life. I think the main points here are that there are two fees and that they were set with no consultation with the rescue groups who do take the animals from the pound to rehome when they can, and that these fees will negatively impact on their small resources.

If anyone has the actual dollar amount of the surrender fee from their local pound, please send it on.

No flaming from me, I quite agree an animal is for life. I think the main points here are that there are two fees and that they were set with no consultation with the rescue groups who do take the animals from the pound to rehome when they can, and that these fees will negatively impact on their small resources.

If anyone has the actual dollar amount of the surrender fee from their local pound, please send it on.

And I'm assuming none of that "extra" money the pound gets for rehoming a dog gets passed to the rescue group who does the actual rehoming?

Tamworth City pound were on the Local news on Friday saying that from the 11th July July they would be charging a surrender fee.I am not sure of the charges but either $50 or $70 for PTS, and around $130 for ATTEMPT at rehome if deemed suitable...

Sorry I was so upset that I didn't write down the exact costs, I was waiting to ceck their website, but nothing on there yet, just a notice on their Facebook page.

This is so saddening and sickening.

:(

Tamworth charge $19 per day (plus fees) to be paid if you've got a stray you need to reclaim.

7 x 19 = 130

It's an attempt to recoup the boarding fee? Do they hold the dog for 7 days instead of PTS immediately?