Rubber Teats For Tiny Breeds

Kirislin

You mean like womabroo ones or baby premmie ones?

not necessarily premmie, but I was talking to him about getting everything ready and suggested he have a bottle and a couple of teats just in case she doesn't have milk or for some reason cannot feed her newborns. I was speaking from experience because it happened to me with my very first litter.

Yes vets do stock teats, I have just hand reared a Frenchie puppy and that is where I got my puppy teats from, they are specifically

for puppies.

I also recommend that he gets a container of Biolac Blue formula, it is in a powder form, I have used all sorts of formulas over the years and have had the best results ever with Biolac.

yes you can supplement the Dam with Biolac, but with the Frenchies in most cases they do not eat for anything up to a week after their c sections but I mix up a mixture that none of them have refused.

1 carton of Lactose Free milk

1 egg yolk

2 tablespoons plain yoghurt

1 tablespoon honey

1 dessertspoon Coldpress flaxseed oil

5 drops Pentavite

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Whisk all ingredients together, put in airtight contaner and refrigerate, will last three days.

My puppies when old enough and in the weaning process get small drinks of this

I find many fodder stores have an excellent variety of teats or can get them in. I like the tiny ones they use for native wildlife & marsupials. They are a long narrow teat & come in minute sizes. Price about $2.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a video on FB the other day and they were using a cosmetic sponge instead of a teat and just syringed the milk onto the sponge. They said it was a lot quicker and the puppies take to it a lot easier.

Found the link, hopefully this works

Edited by cowanbree

I hate that sponge method...

If a pup can suck from that they can suck from a teat

Why not tube feed

How do you steralise the sponge

What chemicals are in the sponge

Would the pup not suck in air

Looks fidly

Oh I could go on.....

I got some teats from the vet. Hoping we wont need them anyway. I wouldn't tube feed, I'd be too afraid of getting it wrong. I saw an idiot bloke kill a calf that way, it was a horrible death. I'm sure it's easy when you know how, but I've bottle raised a litter before and if I need to, that's how I'll do it again.