Please Educate Me About The Meaning...

Could someone please be so kind and explain to me the meaning - when this appears next to a listed pound dog:

"Has local interest but needs urgent rescue back up."

I wonder then, why does the person/persons interested in that dog, not get the dog out of the pound/pay the pound fee, instead wait for a rescue back up?? Do they need rescue back up to get a dog out of Mildura Pound? :confused:

A back up in case none of the people who are considering adopting take it. Probably more common with the 'cute' or desirable breeds if you know what I mean. They might have had a number of members of the public looking at adopting a dog and this one was shown particular interest and therefore the pound feels it's quite likely to be adopted by someone and therefore won't need rescue.

It means that the dog is not available yet, however a local person has expressed interest in adopting it. These local interests often drop off when the dog becomes available though, so if a dog has rescue back up it is safe no matter what.

Rescue backup is invaluable when the potential adopter doesn't come back to adopt the dog in question... sadly, some members of the public have the "want now" problem, and may have gone off to a BYB or pet shop to get their new pet "now" - instead of waiting for the impound wait time to be up on a pound dog.

T.

As above. :)

It's ideal in many cases unless the pound aren't desexing or it's the type of dog/breed that should go through assessment via a rescue to get just the right home.

On the Mildura thread if it says "has local interest needs urgent rescue back up" it means the dog has done it's 8 days and the local still hasn't adopted the dog and the dog is at risk of being PTS if the potential adopter decides not to get the dog. There have been cases where locals have had their name on a dog for up to 3 weeks and that isn't fair on the dog.

Any dog or cat for that matter that is impounded in Mildura goes on the thread as "needing rescue" as a lot of people in Mildura do not want to or cannot pay the impound fee, registration and microchipping to claim their pet. In May this year 102 dogs were impounded and only 30 were re-claimed by their owners.