Have You Fed A Stray Cat Lately?

Hi everyone

I know this is a dog forum but I also know there are some cat lovers amongst you as well. A fellow post-grad student is researching community attitudes to stray cats.

Miranda is looking for participants who:

1. Live in Australia; AND
  2. Currently feed or have fed in the last 12 months a stray cat

This survey is specifically for people who feed stray cats

Miranda Coffey a Masters student in the Melbourne School of Land & Environment is researching community attitudes to stray cats. The researchers are interested in hearing from people that live in Australia and currently feed stray cats or have done so in the past 12 months. Opinions gained will help improve our understanding of how people relate to stray cats in the community, with the ultimate aim being to improve the welfare of cats. This project has ethics approval from the Melbourne School of Land & Environment Human Ethics Advisory Group (ID 1339944).

Link to survey here

Thanks in advance,

Sally Haynes

Clicked on the link to read the opening page. Clicked the arrow to move to the survey and got a screen saying 'thanks for completing the survey'. Is this correct or a gremlin in the system?

TSD

I recently helped a friend catch some kittens that she'd lured into her home with food over a couple of weeks...

And my friend took them to AWL who told her off for feeding the kittens at all.

I'm wondering if your survey friend knows what we're supposed to do with stray cats if we don't catch them and take them to the RSPCA or AWL. And how we're supposed to catch them without feeding them.

These cats definitely were not owned, the mother cat had a litter somewhere in a housing trust community and nobody there owned any of them. Don't know where the mother cat has gone now.

Clicked on the link to read the opening page. Clicked the arrow to move to the survey and got a screen saying 'thanks for completing the survey'. Is this correct or a gremlin in the system?

Mine did this too :/

Thanks for the feedback - did you click on "no" for the first question "Have you fed a stray cat?" - that will automatically take you to the end of the survey as it is ONLY for people who HAVE fed a stray cat.

Please let me know if that isn't the issue and I will investigate further!

Thanks all :thanks:

Mrs RB - will have a read of your post when I get home!

TSD

I recently helped a friend catch some kittens that she'd lured into her home with food over a couple of weeks...

I'm wondering if your survey friend knows what we're supposed to do with stray cats if we don't catch them and take them to the RSPCA or AWL. And how we're supposed to catch them without feeding them.

These cats definitely were not owned, the mother cat had a litter somewhere in a housing trust community and nobody there owned any of them. Don't know where the mother cat has gone now.

Apologies for the delay Mrs RB. Miranda is based in Melbourne (as am I) so I can't give you any specific advice about the process in NSW. I would suggest that you post a topic in the Rescue discussion as there are some very knowledgable people in there. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Guest Wildthing

TSD

There are no anti roaming cat laws in the ACT and NSW. Most rangers and Animal Welfare organisations will tell you the same thing - do not feed any stray cat. This is partly because the law deems you to be the 'owner' if you feed the cat. If you asked outright "What do you expect people do about stray cats and kittens" most of the organisations would say leave them alone. Personally, I think that is irresponsible and inhumane. It implies that people should allow the felines to starve to death. I have been in rescue for 18 years and also do trapping of stray/unowned and suburban wild felines. I give all of them a chance to become domesticated felines. Unfortunately, some of them do not settle and are then given their wings. It is kinder to give a wild animal its wings than keep it confined in a cage of some sort, in my opinion. I give thanks to people who do something to help the felines on the streets. Happy to answer any questions people may have.