Capstar

Normally I use Sentinal once every six weeks for my boys and I was talking to a friend who uses Capstar. It seems that this product actually kills the fleas. I read some reviews on the product and there were a lot of negatives as in some pets got quite sick and done owner has to have her cat put down because of internal bleeding. Has anyone on DOL used this product successfully? I am wondering, if it has so many side effects, why is it allowed on the shelves?

I have used Capstar for quick action and have never had a bad reaction to the product over many dogs and lots of years, it is a fast acting but short lived treatment. One of the common side effects of Comfortis is nausea and vomiting and it is recommended to be fed with a meal because of this are you sure your friend is not confusing the two products.

I have used Capstar for quick action and have never had a bad reaction to the product over many dogs and lots of years, it is a fast acting but short lived treatment. One of the common side effects of Comfortis is nausea and vomiting and it is recommended to be fed with a meal because of this are you sure your friend is not confusing the two products.

Crisovar she definitely means Capstar, because I saw the package. I did google the product and came across some reviews which were negative.

My 7 year old girl is allergic to fleas as well as a truck load of other things, and we are under a dematologist, and have been since she was 6 months of age. She spend 2 years on 1/4 large Capstar every day (she was 13-15kg) with no ill effect. I then cut it down to spring/summer time and have to admit that she hasn't had one in the last 12-18 months.

Edited by Ptolomy

I used it very regularly when I was rescuing and never once encountered any negative or adverse reactions. It is so innocuous it can be given with Sentinel without side effects.

Capstar works instantly but only on the fleas that are on the dog and only for a limited period. I think it lasts in the system for about 48 hours. Any fleas that jump on the dog after that will not be affected. I gave it to rescues coming in knowing that I didn't have fleas in the environment. It killed the fleas on them and then the Sentinel ensured that any remaining fleas became sterile and was for the long term.

Edited by ~Anne~

I have used it very regullary for my cats. My cat had an allergic reaction to a spot on treatment and was rushed to the vets foran injection to counteract it. He is now on program jabs (to make fleas infertile) and capstar to kill them. Have used it on both my cats, sometimes on a weekly basis with absolutely no issues.

Don't know if you can buy these in Oz, but a company called Little City Dogs has started selling the generic equivalent of Capstar (and Revolution) for much lower prices than the brand name.

See

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=little+city+dogs+capstar&sprefix=little+city+dogs+ca%2Caps%2C1004

< $1/capsule if you get a bottle of 100.