At What Stage Do You Present To Vet

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

So last night I noticed Bon was doing a slight limp on her back right leg but she still was walking and putting pressure on it. This was just before we went to bed. I looked at her paw pads for bindis (there are some out the back) and mobilised the leg and she didn't wince or seem in pain (nor did she when she walked). I gave her some Tramadol just in case (left over from her desexing 4 weeks ago) and would reassess this morning.

This morning she got up, is running around, jumping on her 2 back legs and the limp isn't there but occasionally i'll see her do a skip on that back leg. She definitely seems a lot better and not phased by it at all but of course warning bells are going off in my mind PATELLAS. I would probably feel a bit silly taking her to the vet now as she is running around on it but I don't want to leave it too long either.

Would you wait and assess? I have more Tramadol if she needs a dose. I'm hoping she just had a slight strain playing yesterday as already it seems much better.

Really stressed about more leg surgery on this little one!

Bon_zpsbff68002.jpg

Guest donatella

Ok thanks, that is what I was thinking as well. I just worry as she's so small and don't want to miss a beat but she seems better today and isn't phased by it at all so hoping it was a sprain from playing!

Isn't to phased by it to me and small breed intermittent "skipping" lameness would ring warning bells of being a luxating patella for me as well. Even when they have been diagnosed it doesn't necessarily mean surgery is the best outcome.

Surgery is dependent on the grading and the symptoms. If the dog isn't overly bothered by it and its only a grade 1 or grade 2 luxation then its ok to monitor anyway.

The vet should be able to tell you whether its a luxating patella regardless of whether the dog is currently lame/showing signs of a problem or not.

Isn't to phased by it to me and small breed intermittent "skipping" lameness would ring warning bells of being a luxating patella for me as well. Even when they have been diagnosed it doesn't necessarily mean surgery is the best outcome.

I agree, not just patella but also cruciate. My Tzu did this and it didn't seem to bother her but turned out it was her cruciate as well as patella! My Pug also does this and so I booked him in for cruciate surgery but turns out it was hip dysplasia and the vet wants to do a femoral head removal.

Hopefully it's nothing major though Donatella!!

Guest donatella

Okay, good to know guys, I know nothing about patella, CL surgeries. She isn't phased by it, she's running around and jumping on her hind legs. I might get her checked out on Monday just to be safe.

Guest donatella

Okay, thanks guys, I'll get her in next week. My poor darling, I hope it's not patellas though, poor thing will be the 3rd leg to be operated on in 12 months.

Just a thought Donatella, but could you video her on your phone next time you see her doing it? Might be helpful to show the vet, (especially if she's like my boy and never shows any symptoms at the vet). I hope it's nothing major for her. smile.gif

Guest donatella

Good idea Trina! At the moment she's temperamental with it and sort of does a light skip on the leg then nothing at all. But it's a good idea because when you manipulate the leg she does flinch at all so the vet would have no idea what I'm talking about.

Given she's had broken legs etc in the past - is it possible she's skipping as a habit of walking funny after/because of the surgeries?

I know if a sheltie who skips with the diagonally opposite leg to the one she broke out if habit fromwhen it was broken. Though she is skipping less and less and almost grown out of it now. The owners did scan and check for other possible injuries at the initial signs...

Guest donatella

I would like to think it was something so simple mackiemad but her surgeries were 8 months ago now and she's only started this a few days ago.

Anyhow, she's still doing it (slightly) and its not phasing her but we have a vet appointment at 11am. I have a feeling they are going to tell me grade 2 patella from what I have been reading, I better start saving now :cry:

Grade 2 - they may or may not opt for surgery - you can monitor a grade 2. Hindsight I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with surgery on Kenz's grade 2 because it wasn't 100% success and caused her more problems. She still has a residual grade 1 MPL on the surgery leg (LH) and that residual grade 1 has been back up as high again as a grade 2 earlier in the year. She also has a grade 2 on her other leg and for the moment is causing her less grief then her surgery leg so just monitoring it with pain meds as necessary.