Recipe For Disaster?

Leah82

Bit of a long story hear but I'll try and keep it quick. Essentially my OH has recently found himself out of work which is is possibly the worst possibly timing as we're saving for our wedding next year. Anyway to help with the rent and bills we thought getting a housemate might be a good idea.

The only person we actually like that has applied also comes with a French Bully cross Dachshund. She came over with her dog last night for a bit of a meet and greet and there were a few altercations with our Cocker, nothing too serious as we were able to separate them easily but I can't help but wonder what would happen if we weren't around.

Our Cocker generally gets growled at when new dogs are in his space coz he just gets so excited and wants to play but my main concern was the new dog was approaching him, seemingly to play and then having a go at him. This was very different to when we got Sarah as she just wanted to be left alone and only growls when strange dogs get in her space, she would never approach them.

Anyway is this a recipe for disaster? The new dog would sleep in her owners room and she takes her dog to work so they'll only be together in the evenings and weekends, would this work ok or would they need to spend more time together to become more bonded. We have a lunch time play date setup with the dogs this Thursday so we can see them on neutral ground. I've looked into the temperaments of both French Bull dogs and Dachshunds and from what I've seen so far seems to be more like a Dachshund. Both of our dogs are affectionate and submissive and we don't want to ruin the balance we have with them.

Also the French Bully x Dachshund is 2 years old, ours are 5 and 7.

Whilst I don't believe it is necessarily a recipe for disaster, management of a "situation" can be extremely stressful. It requires constant vigilance 24/7 and this in itself can be exhausting. Being on the alert all the time ...... too difficult.

You are aleady in a stressful situation, you are planning on bringing in a stranger to your settled and ordered life. That in itself is enough to handle.

Keep looking for a housemate who will blend in with you. There is going to have to be many adjustments on all sides, the last thing you need to be worried about is whether dogs will get along.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

I have no advice ..............but a Frenchy/Dacchy mix :eek:

Lol that was my first thought, it looks like a short long staffy, apparently the designer name is French Bull Weiner, not sure who came up with that one. :p

A 2 yr old of those breeds probably has plenty of attitude :laugh:

Bad idea to bring a new dog in without introducing on neutral ground.

It may be fine, is there a chance you could just do a short let first?

This is my opinion only.... not what you should do.

But there's too much risk for things turning stressful. The Dachie X has already shown attitude & there's also the age imbalance. Friends & also relatives always had Dachies.... lovely dogs with their family & visitors. But did they have attitude towards other dogs. And this boy is a 'teenager', while yours are into a more mellow age group.

I'd be looking for a lower risk match.

It's your house, not the dogs. Put up a baby gate and put rules in place so the dogs can get used to each other without being in direct contact with each other.

It's not hard to keep dogs separate when you're not home, heck I don't even leave all of mine together when I'm not home as 5 bitches left to their own devices is not a pleasant thought.

You need money. The dogs can learn to live with it.

Thanks for the advice, we'll see how we go at the play date although when there's a ball around our Cocker couldn't care less about other dogs being around. Would be good to get a clearer idea of how often the dog is likely to be at home sans owner though.

Ideally we'd prefer not to get a housemate at all, will wait and see on a few things that may change towards the end of this week but if we have to get a roomy then this particular person is a far better match for us that anyone else we've spoken to or seen.

Maybe I'll convince her to come with me to obedience on Sunday mornings to help get her dog through the terrible teens :)

are they all crate trained Leah?

And do you have the means to separate them while you're all out?

What's your gut feeling? Do you think the cross was just correcting your boy and establishing some boundaries for his exuberant behaviour or do you feel like it was more than that?

I think it can be quite normal to expect a few tiffs while dogs establish some rules for each other. But I think the key is there shouldn't be any actual biting, and no bullying type behaviours.

so just got a message from the OH saying the person has declined the offer of the room as it's too small.

problem solved, will just need to find someone else if we still have to get a housemate.

Probably for the best.

It can work with practice and planning, foster carers do it all the time. But honestly, I'd just find a housemate without a dog. It has the potential for causing lots of friction and if the dogs bicker they will be incredibly stressed.

so just got a message from the OH saying the person has declined the offer of the room as it's too small.

problem solved, will just need to find someone else if we still have to get a housemate.

I think it might be for the better, too. Best wishes finding just the right housemate... & soon.