Omg I Entered An Obedience Trial!

Congrats RMR on your score of 92. I don't know what that means either really but it sounds very impressive :laugh: :thumbsup:

Totally understand your nerves etc I would be exactly the same I just know it. I remember getting called out in front of the whole class at Sonny's

puppy school to show the others all how to get their puppies going from a sit to a down stay & my legs went to jelly then :laugh: I'd be hopeless.

Looking forward to the pic's.

I hope you will share your video of your failed trial... I have been in similar circumstances, and since I'm always able to laugh at myself... well.... you did well with the rally o... (I just hung my head and ran away after my trial...)

Next trial will be easier, and the next even easier... hopefully...

Thank-you so much for the encouragement everyone! It's really lovely :-)

Here's the pic of madam Rilla that I promised:

rilla+blurred.jpg

How was the second trial?

I was less nervous but still pretty bad. We got full marks for the drop-stay, 15/20 for the recall (she stuffed around a bit before I put her in the stay), 10/30 for heeling - our heeling sucks & I'm working on it; 0 for the sit-stay as she broke as soon as I left - I buggered up the signal on nerves; & 0 for the stand for exam as she broke position - she felt the need to kiss the judge :)

So 40 points, a fairly terrible score but I actually pretty happy with our performance, considering the night before we got 0 points on everything! I know that I have to work on how I feel a lot, because at home in the paddock (which is full of distractions), she does everything perfectly 90% of the time - because I'm absolutely relaxed!

I think for now I might just stick to Rally-O, as although everyone at the trial was super encouraging, the amount of pressure I put on myself about it isn't good for me or Rilla I don't think. However, with Rally-O, I have an very laid back attitude towards it.

I think in the obedience ring Rilla picks up on my nerves, doesn't take my commands seriously & so plays up on me a bit as I'm so nervous that I don't control her that well. The joys of owning a smart breed! As soon as the trial was finished I took her out to where the ring had been to play with her, and the little angel heeled on a perfectly loose lead all the way across it!! But I was relaxed and feeling really happy.

The judge told me that she never trials with a dog until it is 2 years old, as although she's done the training with them, they don't really settle down and "click" with whats going on until maturity.

My Mum came to the trial with me and pointed out that I do a lot of "front" work with Rilla - I do lots of tricks with her with her in front of me, facing me, not at my side. Plus I take her herding, which encourages her natural instinct to run out in front of me, and take my commands at a distance.

So overall I think I learnt a lot from the Obedience Trial. I know there's a lot for me to work on not only with Rilla, but with how stressed I let myself become in situations with her. I think we'll just do Rally-O for the mean time, in another 4 months I'll be able to start training her for Agility which I'm really looking forward to & think Rilla will really enjoy.

Oh Miss Rilla does look very proud of herself :thumbsup: She is all grown up now. Well done girl :)

She has ears like my girl. One of Stella's is flat & the other side is perfect, like an envelope. Just adds to

their individuality & quirkiness :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

She's beautiful - and really doing well for a youngster. But yes, I must say, my preference is to let them mature a little before we put on them the pressure of an obedience trial and their mum turning into an alien through nerves. :laugh: (Mind you - I also have a boy brain to contend with :laugh: - he's nearly 5 now - and starting to settle.

You know - that's a significant improvement from the first trial to the second - encouraging. But yes, I think I woiuld be sticking with Rally to get the ring exposure, and working pretty hard on your heeling - making it a game for the dog, but teaching her little by little exactly where she should be .. making precise heel position hugely rewarding for her.

Hmmm - wanting to kiss the judge in SFE - can't imagine that :rofl: - so many judges have been :rofl: because they thought they were going to get the big slurp from my BC boy.

Haha BC Crazy - she looks grown up but is in THE most puppy like mode at the moment! Lots of fun but lots of challenges too.

Her ears are perfect some days, other days they're feral - I don't mind but her poor breeder asks me all the time of I'd like her to tape them for me lol! :D

Thank-you Tassie! :D A bit of maturity will go a long way for Rilla I think - she's a bit of a butter at the moment, her herding instincts have really kicked in & with that seems to come endless energy :)

I learnt something about heeling from the rally-o trial. You know the sign that says "1 step, halt. 2 steps, halt. 3 steps, halt" ? I realised that stopping and starting like that really keeps Rilla's attention focused on me, so I've been putting that kind of method into her heeling training - lots of stops, turning and games in between really keeps her happy & I think our heeling had improved a fair bit already. :D

I think you & Rilla are going so wonderfully well. She is still very young.So you have time on your side. From my very limited understanding of dog sports, obedience it is very structured

compared to RO. So I would stick with RO for a while if that is what you both have the most fun doing. I think having fun & feeling comfortable is really important. That is what it is all about isn't

it? As beautiful Rilla matures the sky will be the limit for you to. Hats off to both of you I reckon :thumbsup: I would love to be in your shoes one day & have a dabble in dog sports :crossfingers: :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Well done Rilla and Mum!

Rally O seems the way to go... From what I've seen it's much friendlier and "user friendly" than pure obedience.

I've got a confession to make (sorry to high jack your thread); we went to our first obedience trial on Saturday and it was a bit of a disaster. Turned up at 8.30 for vetting, and they started to trial the highest level (Udx I think) and worked their way back. So we were only called in the ring at 3.00 or so, after waiting all this time on a fairly warm day that had turned very windy.

By then I was a bit over it, and so was Penny who wouldn't focus and just wanted to go sniff out duck poo. Of course I stuffed up, used her name to get her attention when I shouldn't have, told her to sit once, etc... The works!

Incidentally everyone else failed their ccd. Kinda put me off obedience for good!

Do you train Rilla in Rally O at your club or did you just go to the trial to suss it out? There's no Rally O training where we are...

Thank-you Tassie! :D A bit of maturity will go a long way for Rilla I think - she's a bit of a butter at the moment, her herding instincts have really kicked in & with that seems to come endless energy :)

I learnt something about heeling from the rally-o trial. You know the sign that says "1 step, halt. 2 steps, halt. 3 steps, halt" ? I realised that stopping and starting like that really keeps Rilla's attention focused on me, so I've been putting that kind of method into her heeling training - lots of stops, turning and games in between really keeps her happy & I think our heeling had improved a fair bit already. :D

Nutter (or even butter :laugh: ) is cool! When a pup's got attitude and a sense of fun, you have a heap to play with.

I guess one of the things I've learnt over the years (including from some of the WA gurus on here), and that is working well with Rory, is to do tiny bits of high quality stuff - break off, have a play, and do something else. Gradually build up the duration. Spend lots of time on the disc or perch box getting heel position perfect, and building up a very high reward history for the dog being in, and getting to, heel. Then when you start moving - literally one or two steps and reward for holding perfect position. (For heeling practice, don't always sit - sometimes reward for position before the dog sits.)

Other things you can do once you start getting more duration, is something like the Rally 360 right or left, and the 270 - huge party for the dog holding position. Another trick for energising the dog is to turn sideways on and sort of grapevine with the dog across your front - then turn back to heeling forwards and again huge reward for the dog hitting heel position.

For our BCs - and in truth, probably for most dogs, your own pace needs to be nice and brisk and happy.

(IMHO, the kind of paddock bashing that happens at dog clubs can be pretty demotivating, and you don't get the chance to pay attention to precision. Just something to think about.)

I think you & Rilla are going so wonderfully well. She is still very young.So you have time on your side. From my very limited understanding of dog sports, obedience it is very structured

compared to RO. So I would stick with RO for a while if that is what you both have the most fun doing. I think having fun & feeling comfortable is really important. That is what it is all about isn't

it? As beautiful Rilla matures the sky will be the limit for you to. Hats off to both of you I reckon :thumbsup: I would love to be in your shoes one day & have a dabble in dog sports :crossfingers: :)

Thank-you! I hope you do have a dabble one day :)

Nutter (or even butter :laugh: ) is cool! When a pup's got attitude and a sense of fun, you have a heap to play with.

I guess one of the things I've learnt over the years (including from some of the WA gurus on here), and that is working well with Rory, is to do tiny bits of high quality stuff - break off, have a play, and do something else. Gradually build up the duration. Spend lots of time on the disc or perch box getting heel position perfect, and building up a very high reward history for the dog being in, and getting to, heel. Then when you start moving - literally one or two steps and reward for holding perfect position. (For heeling practice, don't always sit - sometimes reward for position before the dog sits.)

Other things you can do once you start getting more duration, is something like the Rally 360 right or left, and the 270 - huge party for the dog holding position. Another trick for energising the dog is to turn sideways on and sort of grapevine with the dog across your front - then turn back to heeling forwards and again huge reward for the dog hitting heel position.

For our BCs - and in truth, probably for most dogs, your own pace needs to be nice and brisk and happy.

(IMHO, the kind of paddock bashing that happens at dog clubs can be pretty demotivating, and you don't get the chance to pay attention to precision. Just something to think about.)

Oh yes doing the full turns really gets her attention - she's like "something interesting must be happening if we're walking in circles" :laugh:

Well done Rilla and Mum!

Rally O seems the way to go... From what I've seen it's much friendlier and "user friendly" than pure obedience.

I've got a confession to make (sorry to high jack your thread); we went to our first obedience trial on Saturday and it was a bit of a disaster. Turned up at 8.30 for vetting, and they started to trial the highest level (Udx I think) and worked their way back. So we were only called in the ring at 3.00 or so, after waiting all this time on a fairly warm day that had turned very windy.

By then I was a bit over it, and so was Penny who wouldn't focus and just wanted to go sniff out duck poo. Of course I stuffed up, used her name to get her attention when I shouldn't have, told her to sit once, etc... The works!

Incidentally everyone else failed their ccd. Kinda put me off obedience for good!

Do you train Rilla in Rally O at your club or did you just go to the trial to suss it out? There's no Rally O training where we are...

Oh I know exactly how you must have felt! I sat there for hours waiting for my turn at the obedience trial too - the longer it took the more nervous I got I think!

I haven't been to my local dog club for several months. I've never been very impressed by their training and finally had a enough of it. Before I left I ran through the Rally-O course once, but was completely on my own as the trainers there weren't the best.

I thought I might have forgotten how to do it, but the judge walked me through before going in, and I walked the course a second time by myself. All you need to know basically is your different turns, ie. 270 to the left/right, 360 to the left/right, ect. You can download the rules and signs from ANKC website, that's what I did a few days before the trial. Just don't let the signs confuse you, it's really easy and relaxed once you get there. Being able to talk to and pat your dog in the ring makes it really comfortable feeling. :)

Just thinking about the waiting around thing. This is one of those situations where having the dog able to chill out in a crate or trolley (covered if necessary) is really valuable. My guys spend a lot of time in crates (and the occasional show boy in his trolley), so they're not at all fussed by having to spend a day waiting round at a trial. It's just a matter of getting them out for toilet breaks and then toilet and warm up just before going in - works for obedience, rally, agility and tracking. I think it's really important that they can relax in that situation. I hate to see people wandering round with their poor dogs all day - maybe it suits some dogs, but I thinkmost appreciate the rest time.

ETA Not saying it's what you guys do - but I see it over here sometimes.

Edited by Tassie

Just thinking about the waiting around thing. This is one of those situations where having the dog able to chill out in a crate or trolley (covered if necessary) is really valuable. My guys spend a lot of time in crates (and the occasional show boy in his trolley), so they're not at all fussed by having to spend a day waiting round at a trial. It's just a matter of getting them out for toilet breaks and then toilet and warm up just before going in - works for obedience, rally, agility and tracking. I think it's really important that they can relax in that situation. I hate to see people wandering round with their poor dogs all day - maybe it suits some dogs, but I thinkmost appreciate the rest time.

Don't feel too sorry for the dogs that aren't crated - maybe they're happier walking around with their owner. My girl sleeps in a crate every night (at home) and I also have a soft crate for trials but I find she seems to stress in a crate when we're at a trial. Maybe because she can hear lots of noises but doesn't have a clear view while in the crate - so instead I use a peg and she sleeps on a blanket beside me (the crate usually stays folded up in the car)

Rilla loves her crate. The first night she wouldn't fall asleep so rotated from her crate to my lap (yep, my BC is a lap dog :laugh: )

Second night she slept soundly in her crate until I got her out for warm up.

Congrats on your Rally :) When you do decide to enter another obedience ring, try and take that fun and enjoyment to obedience. Yes it is structured but you can still have a spring in your step. I see a lot of people suddenly start moving slower and more cautiously. Have a nice quick normal pass, long slow step for slow pace and a little jog for fast. Your voice can be fun, your movement energetic and good clear hand control. I get nervious( I stopped counting the amount of times I went to the toilet at trials lol but I now go out to have fun. Make the obedience ring as exciting as the rally. you can't pat them but your body can say lets go, can you keep up. I have to say I love the rally :) It is lovely to hear someone say they walked away from the wrong type of training for their dog and understands that young dogs need time. Look forward to seeing more rally qual's