Breed Specific Info On Dogs In Sa ?

Does anyone know if there are any figures or specific information on how many known pedigree dogs there are in these places ?

Meaning for adoption or euthanised.

Not found & returned to owner.

I am not meaning look alike breed guesses & adverts for certain breeds that end up looking like crosses or a bit like the breed.

Specifically 100% certain that it is a pedigree dog of that breed.

Any source of info appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Christina

Ask them. They should be keeping a record of every dog that goes through there. I know at rspca Vic when I was there we did a spreadsheet every June and Nov detailing breeds, breed x's, numbers and outcomes.

They may not wish to give it to you but if you present a good case to the ppl who matter who may be able to get that info off the orgs directly...

I highly doubt those statistics are collated at all and regarding breeds that would be not be trustworthy data as you are relying on several different staff with varying levels of experience to identify breeds.

There is no way that data would be given unless it was under the direction of a committee and was voluntarily collated

I also wouldn't trust it unless it included information from the actual ANKC papers.

^ yes this!! My friends ANKC registered blue ACD ended up at the AWL a while back. They called, then I called because to be fair I could describe the dog a bit better...... NO, NO definitely NO blue ACD here....well I urged them to take a drive down with me & guess who we found there! REALLY??? They couldn't even identify a blue Australian Cattle Dog properly!

I also wouldn't trust it unless it included information from the actual ANKC papers.

Yes this is what I want to know. Dogs from SA canine association registered breeders.

Interested in how much the pedigree dog world actually contributes to this problem.

Not a lot I imagine but there should be documented info.

I think it's a bit hard to tell.

Unless the dog was surrendered to them with the papers, they usually list it as a whatever it looks like most + cross.

And the phone answering people do seem to be very hazy about what is actually in the pound, and sometimes what sex it is.

I drove 2 hours out to wingfield to look at a red heeler bitch listed on their website. I phoned first to make sure it was still there. And when I got there, it was gone already... they said half an hour before I got there, though I think that unlikely given how long it had been on the website. And it turned out to be a boy dog anyway.

I left with a blue cattle dog x puppy that wasn't ever listed on the website and I was not told was there.

I've seen plenty of dogs at the park that were from rescue and probably misidentified. The latests looks like a kelpie x something GSD like and it was listed as a JRT x. It's the same size as my dog was at the same age... so I think it's going to be a bit bigger than a JRT. It's kelpie shape and temperament, mostly light brown with a faint black saddle like a beagle.

There were definitely a group of Italians in SA (estimated at 20+), we saw photos. They were either surrendered or confiscated from a byb.

We had interested people go in to adopt a couple of them but either they were "sold" or euthanased so they ended up not getting a dog (they all had their own Italians).

The RSPCA would not talk to us (Italian Greyhound Rescue) about the dogs at all.

We were very concerned because normally they get euthanased due to timidity/behaviour in kennelled environments which comes from lack of knowledge about the breed.

They seem to appeal to a few people but in reality are suitable for very few, especially people with no breed experience. Considering the background these animals had come from, I imagine there would have been poor outcomes.

We'll never know.

Edited by dogmad

Even is the pounds identify what is alleged to be a purebreed dog, how do they know if it is actually registered stock from a registered breeder? Even if they call in a breeder or breed club, how do they identify whether it is from registered stock. The breed club might say oh yeah it's definitely xyz breed, but the OP wants to know for certain that it is registered stock not byb stock.

Microchip technology seems to be the answer but it needs to be backed up with good communications between all parties.

Even is the pounds identify what is alleged to be a purebreed dog, how do they know if it is actually registered stock from a registered breeder? Even if they call in a breeder or breed club, how do they identify whether it is from registered stock. The breed club might say oh yeah it's definitely xyz breed, but the OP wants to know for certain that it is registered stock not byb stock.

Microchip technology seems to be the answer but it needs to be backed up with good communications between all parties.

Microchip technology is the answer & in SA it will work in time to identify dogs from SA dog registered pedigree dogs as for the last couple of years a pup has to be microchipped to be registered & get its papers & most breeders do comply.

Code of ethics states all litters must be registered which leads to the question

If the dogs looks purebred & the microchip is checked with Dogs SA to show breed & breeder (if not in microchip data ) will info on dogs entering for adoption or euthanasia be recorded accurately & will the breeder be informed & given the chance to take, purchase or save the dog ?

Very sad that they would not work with rescue re the Italian Greyhounds but that is standard response to any breed or rescue group for some unknown reason. :confused:

When I was there we had quite a few dogs that came in that we traced back to breeders including 2 entire litters of anatolians, goldies that were tattooed to a high turnover breeder, irish water spaniel, basset, breeder that had handed over an entire litter of ccr x malamutes -oops litter with atrocious temperaments, basenji's, keeshonds, goldie pups handed over with severe entropian that the breeder didn't want to euth themselves, and lots more. Statistically the figures would have been nominal but they did come in and I believe there has been an increase in purebred "type" dogs coming in but bybers are more actively breeding using purebred dogs I think. There were some shocking breed descriptions done and I am sure many dogs never made it g=home for that reason but I left in 2002