My Zoo Pictures

grizabella

Lovely photos!

I need to get out there again. I have not had much luck with chimp photos - they seem to be mostly inside when I have been there or just outside so the angle is terrible. Is there a best time of day to be there and see them out and about?

They always come outside for the keeper talk at 2:15, and just before they go indoors for dinner at around 4. Aside from that, it's just luck really.

Yes, I go to the keeper talk but find the light not great in there at that time - they seem to end up sitting in deep shadows. Must just be my bad luck :(

Received the confirmation letter for the members breakfast with the Cheetah yesterday, so looking forward to it :)

Around 4 is probably the best time for photos, as they are all very active and tend to go up on the platforms or ropes.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some pics from Adelaide Zoo on Sunday. :)

Nhu the young gibbon. I actually won the competition to name her, so she has a special place in my heart. She's such a cute little ape!

11620053504_6fee2181a3_c.jpg

Nhu by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Dusky Langur... I think this may be Jingga, the first son of the breeding pair, but I've gotten a bit behind on what's happening in langurland!

11620014414_008faca833_c.jpg

Dusky Langur by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Akbar the sun bear. He's getting on in years now.

11619728015_3058b2c091_c.jpg

Akbar by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

11620100884_cb9b43f3cd_c.jpg

Akbar by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Suli the siamang

11620238894_86ccb113cf_c.jpg

Suli by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Kluet, with Karta (under the blanket!)

11619806285_335b0f2ba7_c.jpg

Kluet by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

He's definitely been getting greyer and greyer, bless his heart! He's not had an easy life. He was taken to the wild to be kept as a pet, and later lived in a small cage at a Malaysian zoo. Unfortunately, he paces a lot, which is something from his early days.

That is interesting to know about Akbar. His pacing has always worried me. Most of the animals at the zoo seem quite content but he has always paced.

I got a picture of him laying over the log on Sunday as well. I wonder how close to each other we were without even knowing it :)

I love your photo of Nhu. I have some shots of him with his Mum when he was younger but haven't managed to get a good 1 lately.

What sort of camera and lens do you use? It looks like you have much better reach than I do.

It is quite upsetting to see Akbar pace. I guess it's a hard habit for him to break even though he's living in a much nicer environment than in his younger days. It is funny to think that I could have been standing next to you, completely oblivious! Nhu can be a difficult creature to photograph as she's so active.

I use an Olympus E-520 with a 300mm lens. The lens is very good for close-ups of animals at the zoo, but unfortunately is not great in low light situations (like the chimp house at Monarto!). What do you use?

A few pics today, as usual there are more on Flickr for anyone interested in seeing the rest. :)

I must admit, I'm really happy with today's photos, the orangutans especially were wonderful today.

11769805546_17375ed211_z.jpg

Tabah by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

11769508164_0d26bb8fa0_z.jpg

11769674604_4e411e52d3_z.jpg

11769699444_228fcbdbc8_z.jpg

Karta by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

11770113466_92873c69b4_z.jpg

Karta by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Edited by grizabella

Gorgeous!

I wish Taronga would get their Orangutans out into their enclosure more often... they are always lazing around in the day room and it's bloody impossible to see them (let alone photograph them) due to the ridiculous sun glare on the glass.

Personally, I'd kick the precious beasts out into their enclosure and shut the door to the day room... moping about in the dark day room all the time can't be healthy for them. What's the point of the purpose built enclosure if you don't put the animals in it?

I've been going to Taronga every weekend since the end of July - and I've seen the male out in the enclosure TWICE - and then he only came out to eat the scatter feed (which is on at irregular times if at all), then went straight back inside the day room to sit in his own poop again. Never seen the female outside at all!

T.

I wouldn't kick them out- it's their choice where and what they want to do each day. I've seen Willow outside twice, but only very briefly. If they are not comfortable in being outdoors for very long, then to force it would cause them much stress. I'd rather have happy orangs than optimum viewing for visitors. Maybe a larger indoor exhibit with better viewing opportunities could improve Taronga's?

Our orangutans at Adelaide Zoo are also often out of sight. They usually sit at the very back of the enclosure, or indoors if they have access. I don't think I've seen them really climbing in over a year. :(

I think the best place to see orangutans in Australia by far is Melbourne Zoo, followed by Perth.

I love that first photo of Karte.

I wouldn't force them out either - stressed animals is not what they want to create. If the door is open, it is their choice.

The last time I saw the Orangs at Adelaide climbing was when a poor possum was climbing the rope and they were investigating that - which included violently swinging and shaking the ropes to try and get it off. That was about 2 years ago. Mostly they seem to be in the long grasses or up on the first platform these days. And I am sure they hide under their blankets far more than they used to as well.

There will be Orang pics galore in October when I go to Singapore Zoo :) And elephants and tigers...

I do wonder if the reluctance of Adelaide's orangs has something to do with the structure of the climbing frame and ropes, which has been changed around since the days when they seemed to climb a lot more. I guess it could also have to do with the fact that Kluet is so much larger these days, maybe it is more comfortable for him to just stay on the ground. I think Kluet's always had a bit of a blanket obsession, but it could well be a more recent thing for Karta.

Ooh, I can't wait to see your pics from Singapore Zoo! It sounds like they have an amazing set up for their orangs. :)

I think back in the day the orangs were given more sacks than blankets.

2427557972_c37bd40ea5.jpg

Kluet shows off the latest fashion accessory by PTroglodytes, on Flickr

For a bit of fun... Kluet through the years!

2008:

2203653280_5610e61292.jpg

Kluet by PTroglodytes, on Flickr

2410134542_f6a1134a33.jpg

2009:

3771755764_2178bf5081.jpg

2010:

4569914383_45e4952ef2.jpg

4758876745_1fbeb54569.jpg

2011 (some BIG changes in his appearance):

5966943095_5f20496ce7.jpg

5967435826_48a61da614.jpg

2012:

6822469277_a376615724.jpg

9037085927_5e556bbae6.jpg

9039290526_ef6628c2ce.jpg

Well - the Orang exhibit at Taronga is pretty much one of the most disappointing of the whole Zoo...

Considering that I go to Taronga EVERY Sunday - rain hail or shine - and have seen an Orang out only twice in 6 months, kinda says it all really. Quite a few times, they've put out a special feed, and neither Orang could be arsed to go out and eat it - they know they will still get fed anyways...

I've yet to find a time when the viewing glass to the day room is NOT an opaque shade of glare either. Oh - and when they DO put out a "special feed" for the Orangs, it's also usually at a time when the glare on the viewing windows to the exhibit is kaka too... grrr!

I don't want to have to press my face against slimy fingerprint-laden glass and shield from the glare with my own hands just to see an orang sitting in his own poop... I want to get nice photos showing happy orangs outside doing what they do best... even if that's peering out from under a blanket or the like...

T.

Unfortunately, the orangutans can't be forced to do what they don't want to. It is a shame that they don't utilise the enclosure, but it's still their choice. Captive orangutans can be VERY lazy creatures! I do think that a bigger, better indoor enclosure could be a good viewing solution, if time and money permits.

Our orangutan feeds and keeper talks at Adelaide are when the sunlight is bad as well, no good for photos most of the time!

You are right of course grizabella... I am just so frustrated that the orange devils simply refuse to set themselves up somewhere I can get a decent photo of them... *sigh*

Taronga went on about how awesome and expensive the Orangutan enclosure was when it first opened - and the Orangutans either find it too hot or too cold, or just rather lie around in their day room waiting for the keepers to bring them food at regular intervals.

Maybe if they put some lights in the day room, at least we may be able to get a photo of something other than a blurred orangey lump surrounded by it's own droppings. They aren't precious about that I've noticed...

T.

It's possible that it's not even the enclosure itself that's the problem, it's possible that they don't like being watched by the public. It is a bit of a pain for those of us who want to be able to see them properly! I guess it just makes it more of a treat when the orangs are out and about. At least you can go and see the gorillas or chimps if the orangs are hiding!

I feel very fortunate to have seen Willow using the main enclosure twice during my six days visiting Taronga. She seemed very keen to get back indoors as soon as possible- maybe she prefers a roof over her head (a lot of gorillas do, not sure if it's a common orang thing too!) or doesn't like being watched? She is a beautiful orangutan by anyone's standards, she has just one of the loveliest orang faces I've seen.

9827100114_8f3ba2620c.jpg

Willow by PTroglodytes, on Flickr

Ooh, I can't wait to see your pics from Singapore Zoo! It sounds like they have an amazing set up for their orangs. :)

They do. The whole zoo is amazing. Been twice before but my camera skills are much better these days.

These are a couple form my first visit in 2007:

538398374_74e7629021.jpg

538398708_4374323b5f.jpg

They have a wonderful breeding program and a huge community of Orangs. They actually have 2 totally separate colonies. 1 group is very social and is handled a lot more, they come out into the restaurant area for feeding so you have breakfast/lunch with them sitting nearby feasting on fruit :)