My Zoo Pictures

grizabella

I thought I'd share a few of my many zoo shots here. I volunteer at Adelaide Zoo so I tend to take a lot of photos there, but I also frequently visit Monarto Zoo to go chimp watching.

Here are a few of my favourite pictures from my most recent visit to Monarto Zoo- mostly chimpanzees!

Boyd, a big fan of warm blankets.

9474413983_7676834301_z.jpg

Boyd by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

9477238060_582162f1e9_z.jpg

Boyd by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Galatea, one of the littler females.

9474558787_2c1d44f714_z.jpg

Galatea by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Sandali, the biggest chimp at the zoo and (in my opinion) the most handsome.

9477252236_b8c258ae80_z.jpg

Sandali by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

All four male chimpanzees.

9477386310_15915c1d86_z.jpg

Tsotsi, Gombe, Boyd and Sandali by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Not a chimp this time- the cheetah brothers Skukuza (front) and Tsotsie, who were on a walk with their keeper.

9474492691_d46563082b_z.jpg

Skukuza and Tsotsie by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And just a few pictures of my absolute favourite animal at the zoo, the beautiful, cheeky and much cherished baby Zuri.

9474630819_1ce5f82573_z.jpg

Zuri by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

9477245508_98745bc04d_z.jpg

9477318696_a553c9bd54_z.jpg

She spent a good few minutes interacting with me at the window, she was especially curious about my camera and my fingers. :)

9477230408_e965d798e8_z.jpg

9477218772_dffcb185ce_z.jpg

We have just got zoo membership and I can't wait to take my new lens on a trip to Monarto. Hopefully in the next 3 or 4 weeks we will get there.

Your pics of the baby are gorgeous, I love that 1 of her at the glass :)

Talking of baby lions... I noticed that our male at Taronga was fairly interested in the scent of one of our females yesterday... and she was being quite flirtatious with him too... could we maybe see something interesting happen there? Fingers crossed!

Waiting patiently for our pregnant chimps to do their thing as well... one girl is looking very uncomfortable and lazy right now... *grin*

Our Snow Leopards have been mating recently... fingers crossed that it has been successful and we see healthy and strong babies sometime in the nearish future.

Spring is in the air, and there is a lot of saucy business going on all over the zoo actually...

It's a pity that all our Binturongs and Red Pandas are all male... babies of those would be too cute for words, yes?

T.

It's a pity that all our Binturongs and Red Pandas are all male... babies of those would be too cute for words, yes?

T.

What happened to the female Binturong? When I was there she was pregnant.

And the female Red Panda? She had some babies when I was there too.

Edited by LisaCC

Talking of baby lions... I noticed that our male at Taronga was fairly interested in the scent of one of our females yesterday... and she was being quite flirtatious with him too... could we maybe see something interesting happen there? Fingers crossed!

Waiting patiently for our pregnant chimps to do their thing as well... one girl is looking very uncomfortable and lazy right now... *grin*

Our Snow Leopards have been mating recently... fingers crossed that it has been successful and we see healthy and strong babies sometime in the nearish future.

Spring is in the air, and there is a lot of saucy business going on all over the zoo actually...

T.

I love how you have bonded with being a frequent flyer at Taronga, T! You know if the poor parvo pups hadn't happened then perhaps your zoo trips would not have been possible time wise? Maybe you could ask to become a zoo volunteer or even guide too until you can go back to being a foster mummy????

T.

What happened to the female Binturong? When I was there she was pregnant.

And the female Red Panda? She had some babies when I was there too.

I don't know - I'll have to ask the keepers.

There are 3 male Binturong - one is kept near the lions and tigers in his own enclosure because he worked out how to escape the other one... *grin*

There are 2 Red Pandas - father and son.

The problem that the Zoo have with finding suitable females for the boys is that prior to coming to Australia, most of those 2 breeds came from Singapore, and they didn't keep track of who bred with who - thus making it very hard to know that a potential female will not be closely related to our current boys...

They are looking for suitable girls though... *grin*

T.

T.

I love how you have bonded with being a frequent flyer at Taronga, T! You know if the poor parvo pups hadn't happened then perhaps your zoo trips would not have been possible time wise? Maybe you could ask to become a zoo volunteer or even guide too until you can go back to being a foster mummy????

I think I was probably well overdue a break from rescue by the time the Parvo kids came to me - and combined with my own recent medical dramas, I really needed to find another "hobby" to throw myself into for a while.

Ya think I picked a good hobby? It still involves animals... *grin*

T.

Funny thing is that after 3 weekends of going to the Zoo, I've become adept at helping others find certain exhibits and the best times to see them doing something interesting... lol!

A couple of the regular vollies will give me a happy hello when they see me now too... and we'll sometimes stand about and chat about who has gotten up to what recently (animals of course).

Funny one was the lovely vollie that I had a good chat with while she was tasked with counting how many times the Snow Leopards mated - then the next week she was tasked with watching the male Tiger because he'd apparently been pacing a bit too much... and the bugger slept for her whole shift!

... and I think some of the apes are starting to recognise me too... a couple of the Chimps (Shikamoo, Shabali, and Kuma I think they are) will stop and pose for me nicely now, when they never used to even look in my direction... and I think I had a moment with the 2 Gorillas that are staying at the Zoo (Kibali and Kimya) last weekend... I think Kibali likes me - he gives me cheeky sideways smiles... and Kimya will pose for me without her hands over her ears if I talk to her...

My aim is to be able to identify all of the chimps by sight... and then I'll try to learn the lions and tigers names and how to tell them apart too... then I'll learn everyone else... lol!

T.

It's so lovely when you've been visiting a zoo for a while and begin to know many of the animals by name. I've been regularly visiting the zoos here (mainly Adelaide) since I was fourteen, so I've gotten to 'know' many of the animals. It gets a bit sad when they pass away or move to another zoo, as you do get rather attached to 'your' zoo animals.

That sounds an interesting volunteer job, watching the animals' behaviour. I help out with making enrichment items for the animals as a volunteer- lots of papier mache! We've made lots of goodies for the upcoming birthdays of Zuri the chimp and Funi and Wang Wang the giant pandas.

At Adelaide Zoo I know who all the orangutans, siamangs, tigers, lions, white-cheeked gibbons, sea lions and dusky langurs (although I don't yet know the name of the new langur baby)are. One of the orangutans, who sadly passed away in 2009, recognised me and would always turn around when he heard my voice- despite ignoring other visitors. I miss him very much, I used to spend a lot of time just sitting with him quietly.

At Monarto Zoo I know who all the chimps are, and a few other animals. I'm particularly interested in great apes, and I don't like not knowing who anyone is when I visit zoos so I tend to research a lot before hand to learn who's who!

A few photos from Adelaide Zoo...

Karta, a female Sumatran orangutan

9114043895_1166ab411a_z.jpg

Karta by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Kluet, the male Sumatran orangutan

9113910599_0076a43cae_z.jpg

Kluet by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Wang Wang, the male giant panda

5265137725_5c1956b4f3_z.jpg

Wang Wang by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Funi, the female giant panda

5350742691_98edac8046_z.jpg

Funi by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Tuan, the male Sumatran tiger

5651901733_19ea22aecc_z.jpg

Water Fun by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Lionesses, Yizi (foreground) and Amani

3771772208_f67938cfef_z.jpg

The Girls by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Yizi rubbing up to her sister

3631959778_b2cea0ef64_z.jpg

Someone to lean on by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

The beautiful Kemiri, my favourite tiger

4177799687_bac96cb83a_z.jpg

Kemiri laughing by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Kemiri, female Sumatran tiger

8233489063_72d7575a25_z.jpg

Kemiri by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Mujambi

4571089604_e32f0c8b65_z.jpg

Mujambi by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

Kluet, in his younger days

4569914383_45e4952ef2_z.jpg

Kluet, more recently

9037085927_5e556bbae6_z.jpg

Tuan

5967014699_9926fe3535_z.jpg

Tuan Leaping by PANgrizabella, on Flickr

I love Karta When we were there the other wee she spent most of the time sitting there with a blanket over her head :)

And I never get the tigers doing anything exciting. Or when they are the window is too grubby to get a good picture or there are too many people around to be able to get near.

I think my better panda pics have been Wang Wang.

When we were there the other week they were in the opposite sides to usual but both inside sleeping. Then when we went back on the way out it was their off exhibit time. We did get to see Wang Wang having a training session but couldn't get pics through the 2 layers of glass and the wire mesh between him and handler. Was great to watch though.