Snake Season Again

tikira

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, please be aware, I have been busy with snakes all week here on the Mornington peninsula.

The Repellers are a waste of money. As said, give the snake nowhere to hide, place water around the the perimeter of your property so snakes don't need to come and drink the dogs water, don't leave anything around that might attract rodents...ect, blah blah blah, but if removing all cover for snakes is not an option, as it is in many homes, then dogp roof the areas that are likely to be vulnerable. Many places use shadecloth and snake mesh to lower the chance of contact by making enclosed courtyards for dogs, kids and other animals to run in and be safe.

Keep your local snake catchers number handy and if you see a snake, ring the catcher and keep a visual of the snake til he or she gets there.

More infi on my website

www.snakecatchervictoria.com.au

and at

my Facebook page

Snake Catcher Victoria Australia..

Stay safe and remember snakes are protected, and don't bite unless they are in fear for their life or in pain.

Here is some video from the other day .

And a couple of days earlier in Mornington

saw the first one here two days ago - thankfully it was my favourite , a very pretty yellow-faced whip snake :) I am happy for these guys to be near the house as they have such small mouths they rarely get a chance to do much damage . The cats have been bitten on a couple of occasions with no serious harm ..and these delicate snakes are just so nice to watch :)

NOT looking forward to their bigger cousins making an appearance though :(

We back onto paddocks and have orchards just over the road, we have a pool plus a channel behind - snake haven :(

We have cleared the backyard (approx. 1.5acres) of all shrubs and creepers, there's nothing left on the ground for them to hide under and no rocks or boulders in the yard either. Lawns are kept short. We have a flock of 10 free range Guniea Fowl (who get locked up at night), kicker boards covered in sump oil attached to the entire boundary fencing.

Touch wood we have yet to have a snake in our yard in over 3 years since placing these measures (we had two when we first moved in and before we did all this), the neighbours get between 1-5 per season. Our local snake catcher believes our kicker boards funnel the snakes to choose a easier route to get through - neighbours yard with no fencing at all and a few shrubs for cover. Our bloody cat did bring one young brown home last year but the Guniea Fowl quickly dispatched it!

I have oodles of Guinea fowl as well. I saw a couple of snakes last summer but the Guineas saw them too and all were eaten within minutes.

I dug up a red belly black with the excavator during winter (by accident) and it retreated further into the warren it was in, so it got away. Hopefully it will not re-appear but if it does, I expect the Guineas will eat it. They are very noisy when they see a snake and all the other Guineas and the chickens come running for this delicious treat, so I feel quite safe (except at night when the birds are roosting)

wow never heard of the Guinea Fowl thing... do they just get "baby" snakes, or the big ones as well?

Growing up on acreage we saw lots of snakes... luckily most of the dogs seem to have the sense to stay away. We had a couple of miniature pincers (sp?) that we brought up from suburban SA when my grandparents died and the both managed to get bit by a brown snake within months of moving to QLD. Only one survived unfortunately :(We think one of the cats brought in a red belly black into the kitchen one day too, but he had no effects... maybe too fluffy?

They have eaten an adult albeit skinny brown snake before. The others looked like baby or juvenile snakes as far as I can tell.

I also have a peacock and they will supposedly kill them, too, but my fella is too timid to get in the Guinea's way. Not sure if he would have a go if he found one first

Regardless of size, the Guineas will surround the snake and mob it. A very large snake might get away if there was cover nearby I suppose

Being an ancient breed Guinea Fowl, are more than capable of dealing with snakes.

Even ordinary chooks will gang up and kill a snake.

These ground nesting birds have evolved with snakes in Asia and Africa and have learned how to handle the threat and protect their mates.

They have evolved thick skin on their legs which can deflect a snake bite as well so poultry in general, but mainly Guinea Fowl,while they do attract rodents, are a good front line defence and warning system.

In answer to Diva, the height of the mesh can be 1.5 meters in the Victoria but I would recommend 2 meters the further North you go