Dogs Now Allowed To Roam 24 Hours A Day On Greenhills Beach (sutherlan

Panto

Dogs allowed off leash cause waves at beach

Date August 15, 2013

Georgina Mitchell

AM-W-DOGS-20130814204317819258-620x349.jpg Roam free: A woman walks her dog on Wanda Beach, part of which is now open to owners to bring their dogs at any time. Photo: John Veage

One of Sydney's main ocean beaches has been allowed by a council to go to the dogs … literally.

The Sutherland Shire Council decision has put residents, animal-lovers and conservationists at odds, with dogs now allowed to roam 24 hours a day on Greenhills Beach, referred to as part of Wanda Beach by some locals, under a 12-month trial.

Dogs were previously allowed to roam free between the hours of 4pm and 10am, but access was expanded after community lobbying.

AM-N-DOGS-20130814204354777682-300x0.jpg Wanda Beach, now a 24-hour off-leash zone. Photo: John Veage

The move, a rarity in Sydney, has prompted talk of beach boycotts and warnings of environmental damage. Adam Freeland, of Cronulla, said free-roaming dogs terrified his young son, so he was forced to break his years-long routine of going to Greenhills.

''I have a son who is handicapped, and for him to come face to face with a charging animal, that I'm sure only wants to play, can be intimidating and upsetting for him,'' Mr Freeland said.

''For me, there's a risk someone will get bitten, and unfortunately that's what I think it will take for something to be done.''

There are no size or breed restrictions for the off-leash area, but Sutherland shire councillor Scott Williams said he did not expect any problems.

''There has not been a record of any child being bitten from the existing hours of 4 to 10,'' he said.

Michelle Lawson, who advocated for the 24-hour off-leash zone, said the beach has always belonged to dog owners and families have plenty of places to go.

''That area of Greenhills has never had anyone on the beach as a family or using the beach to swim - except the people that walk their dogs,'' she said. ''The owners are very responsible, and it's a community, so I'm not concerned.''

But Surfrider Foundation director Brendan Donohoe said beaches were an unnatural environment for dogs.

The organisation, dedicated to the protection of Australia's waves and beaches, opposes the expansion of dog access to beaches, particularly in metropolitan areas. ''It only takes one irresponsible dog owner to cause mayhem in these areas,'' he said. ''The beach is a very dynamic area already with the waves, birds, balls, bathers, surfers and fishermen in play already.''

Mr Donohoe said the council decision had the potential to concentrate dog owners from across Sydney in a small beach area, affecting the habitat quality of the area and endangering any nearby ground-nesting birds.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/dogs-allowed-off-leash-cause-waves-at-beach-20130814-2rwvp.html#ixzz2bzdcDlDQ

That's not a patrolled part of the beach, and it's not really populated with people there for a swim or relax. That part of the beach is mainly used for people with the dogs, or getting around to boat harbour. I think cars can go on that part of the beach too.

Bit if parents are that worried about their kids and dogs, go to the other non-dog part of the beach. It's a massive beach and the dog section is a minor part of it.

Yeah, there's never any swimmers and family there, it's not patrolled. It's always been a 'dog beach'. And in my (limited) experiences people there are pretty good with their dogs.

As Sam said, the expanse of beach at Cronulla is HUGE... there is an incredibly long length where dogs are prohibited where families with kids can go.

Yeah, there's never any swimmers and family there, it's not patrolled. It's always been a 'dog beach'. And in my (limited) experiences people there are pretty good with their dogs.

Would it help, then, to declare it officially a Dog Beach. Like Q'ld has one at Nudgee.

With a sign & conditions.... so that anyone coming on to it, knows what to expect. And to avoid, if it's not their thing.

What a crock, if it's always been doggy and no one's been bitten I doubt the extra few hours will bring out the vicious man eaters.

Plus, if your kid is terrified there's pleeeenty of other beaches about. The odds are definitely in his favour there.

We are delighted. In the summer months we are there most weekends when we are not visiting a Wollongong beach. In the winter it's been much harder because you have to wait until 4pm. It takes us 90 minutes to walk from one end of the dog section to the other and back if we do some training on the way and play around. It's just over a 2km stretch of beach from the gate to the 4wd section that marks the end of the dog off leash area. No cars on the dog beach. By 4pm the sun is already low and the dunes casting shadow on the beach make it pretty cold.

We rarely see kids. Never seen anyone bring kids scared of dogs onto the beach. There is plenty of beach nearby where dogs are not allowed and people tend to respect it because Greenhills is right there. The main problem is people let their dogs off in the grassy area you cross to get to the beach entrance where they are supposed to still be on leash. We have had moments on the beach with other dogs, but it's no more or less common than anywhere else we go. Public holidays when it's warm are often super busy and people bring dogs not used to the beach and other dogs.

Interesting choice of the word "roam". When I hear of dogs roaming, I imagine them to be completely out of control and out of sight of the owner and able to go wherever they want unsupervised . Dogs on an offleash beach or park are not roaming.

Interesting choice of the word "roam". When I hear of dogs roaming, I imagine them to be completely out of control and out of sight of the owner and able to go wherever they want unsupervised . Dogs on an offleash beach or park are not roaming.

The article really is written in that negative emotive language, isn't it? Just like it's trying to make people hate the concept, even though it's not new!

Just heard on the radio that they've had to end the trial due to a number of serious dog attacks. Sigh.

And because too many people were taking their dogs there.

And I bet they are referring to the recent attacks in cronulla, that are unrelated to the dog beach.

Edited by minimax