A Bit Of Hydrobath Advice

cassie

Hi everyone, was hoping to get some advice on what exactly to look for if I am to go and inspect a second hand hydrobath that I have my eye on. Are there any particularly good brands? Or any brands to stay away from? I understand the pump is important but again, not sure what brand/s I should be looking for. What about wear and tear on the actual bath? Will a few scratches (for example) matter in the long run? The seller has listed it as "In excellent condition" but I know this definition can vary from person to person! I need it to regularly bath my show Saint Bernard, so it needs to be able to hold a very heavy dog! Are they all capable of this or are some more flimsy than others?

Many thanks, looking forward to your responses :)

I have a conmurra one which I understand is highly regarded. With a saint I would get one with a rinse tank if you can plumb a hot water tap to rinse with it as bucketing water can be abit of a hassle. Mine has a davey pump as well which I think most have by what I have seen.

Good luck, with a coated dog they are a lifesaver.

This is the description:

"Single tank, sliding door.

Heater with adjustable thermostat and davey pump."

So I'm happy about the pump. And happy that it has a heater, as I won't need to plumb it to a hot water tap. Can you please explain the difference between a single tank or a twin tank as I really don't know?

I have a single tank so it only has a wash tank which means then to rinse the shampoo out I can either empty out the shampoo water in the tank and refill with fresh or use a hose to rinse the dog. I also sometimes use fidos herbal rinse when I feel lazy as you don't have to rinse it out so the one tank is all that's needed. Twin tank has another tank that holds the rinse water so no need to empty and refill between shampoo and rinsing.

Thankyou that makes sense, I never understood the difference before. Does it take long to empty the water then refill to rinse the dog?

The bath is a "hydrobath systems" brand from here in SA. I've tried calling them to see what a new one retails for but the two numbers I can find on the net for their company go elsewhere, so I don't think they are in business anymore. I'm finding it very difficult to find any information on this brand of bath at all, hence my questions here. Seller is asking $1000 negotiable. Any thoughts on that price?

I think it seems like a good price especially if its in really good condition. I don't know that brand as I'm in brisse and its all conmura or fidos here.

Doesn't take to long to change water in tank. I pull plug, rinse tank abit, fill, run the water out the bath to flush the pump and hose than I rinse dog.

We bought a brand new 'Liberty' single tank hydrobath about 15 years ago when we had a Standard Poodle and it was one of the best brands then and probably still is… We sold it this year as we no longer needed it, but it was still in excellent condition and working like the day we bought it. The only thing I wouldn't do again is buy one with a single tank, it's a bit annoying having to drain it after shampooing and then fill up with clean water for rinsing smile.gif

Thanks for the responses. I definitely see the benefit of having the twin tanks, but I don't think I want to let this one pass for the price they're asking. Going to view it tomorrow and if it seems ok (do I need to see it in operation? Silly question?) then we'll buy it. Will keep an eye out for a second hand twin tank hydrobath if I decide I need to upgrade :)

I bought a Liberty twin tank over 10 yrs ago and it's still going strong. It has been a very well used bath and if I have to replace it one day I hope they are still making them.

If you don't have access to running hot/cold water I think you will regret getting a single tank - rinsing the dogs well is very important.

Thanks for the responses. I definitely see the benefit of having the twin tanks, but I don't think I want to let this one pass for the price they're asking. Going to view it tomorrow and if it seems ok (do I need to see it in operation? Silly question?) then we'll buy it. Will keep an eye out for a second hand twin tank hydrobath if I decide I need to upgrade :)

Make sure they show you how to use it so you know it works :D

I have a 14 yr old Conmurra. I had a hot and cold tap set up which has saved me so much hassle and time. I actually set it up when I had Saints. I found the rinsing tank would run out of water before they were rinsed properly, thus the element would sometimes blow as the water travelled out faster than it covered the element and then the rinse off was always finished in cold water!

The hot cold taps are what I use now. I dont bother with the rinsing tank at all. I have the wash tub which I hydrobath the dogs in, then scrub the dogs by hand (as I dont feel just hydrobathing them gets them clean enough for a pro groom) and then they are rinsed with warm water from the hand held shower head. This way I can take my time and really rinse the dog well, conditioning too, if necessary.

The hot/cold taps are just really handy to have all around!

eta: Just make sure you take out the little water saving thingy on the hand held shower head, it gives you much better pressure and makes rinsing faster.

Edited by Clyde

If you don't have access to running hot/cold water I think you will regret getting a single tank - rinsing the dogs well is very important.

This bath has a heater, so I only need access to a cold tap...right?

You'll need to look at how the bath works. You might find that you have to rinse with cold water or wait for the water to reheat in a single tank.

I personally find waiting for the water to heat up annoying and would prefer to use a hot tap.

This is the description:

"Single tank, sliding door.

Heater with adjustable thermostat and davey pump."

So I'm happy about the pump. And happy that it has a heater, as I won't need to plumb it to a hot water tap. Can you please explain the difference between a single tank or a twin tank as I really don't know?

I have a single tank hydrobath but a tap is plumbed above it so I use fresh water to rinse.

I have a 14 yr old Conmurra. I had a hot and cold tap set up which has saved me so much hassle and time. I actually set it up when I had Saints. I found the rinsing tank would run out of water before they were rinsed properly, thus the element would sometimes blow as the water travelled out faster than it covered the element and then the rinse off was always finished in cold water!

The hot cold taps are what I use now. I dont bother with the rinsing tank at all. I have the wash tub which I hydrobath the dogs in, then scrub the dogs by hand (as I dont feel just hydrobathing them gets them clean enough for a pro groom) and then they are rinsed with warm water from the hand held shower head. This way I can take my time and really rinse the dog well, conditioning too, if necessary.

The hot/cold taps are just really handy to have all around!

eta: Just make sure you take out the little water saving thingy on the hand held shower head, it gives you much better pressure and makes rinsing faster.

Thanks for the info on your setup Clyde, this paints me a good picture and sounds ideal. I like to rinse super thoroughly as well so I agree, it would be nice to be able to take your time with it. I'll speak to OH about getting a hot tap set up outside as well.