I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

All the people that pissed me off last weekend had their dogs on lead.

Would rather walk past a polite in control off lead walker than a rude, out of control on lead walker.

Oh really what if that perfectly controlled off lead dog suddenly wigged out and grabbed your dog by the throat, would you think you were hallucinating or would you stand and watch because you know it will be just a glitch in another wise perfectly controlled dog. Seriously what would you do to make that dog let go of your dog. Considering we've just been told by several people on this forum that morals and laws don't matter.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aussie is right - this thread is going around in circles.

Totally bomb proof dogs are out there, they stay by the side of their owners no matter what..

I would rather walk by one of these dogs than one that is a complete lunatic on leash.. I know what it is like to have a reactive dog on lead - it has taken months and months of work to get him to the stage where he can walk around the park, without reacting to every dog he sees.. He is happy reactive, he wants to see the other dogs and is submissive as well but at 27kg of bull breed, he could be a nightmare on lead if he wanted to.

Lucky for me, with loads of great advice, training and persistence, I can now walk him without these problems.

I am very lucky, some people never get the resolution I have with Ziggy. A lot of reactive dogs are not submissive or friendly - they simply don't like other dogs in their space and as dog owners, we have to respect each other and what we all want for our dogs.

There are many people who live with dogs like this every single day - they want to walk them in a on leash area, without the threat of unknown dogs coming at them.

If your dog is totally bomb proof, personally I have no issue with you walking it off lead. But if you or your dogs attention lapses, I am sure you will understand when I kick your dog away, that I have spent so much time and energy 'fixing' my dogs issues and I don't want them undone.

As for the off lead thing being illegal, well realistically there are loads of people doing stuff that isn't legal or moral every day - in the grand scheme of life on earth an off lead dog (in control) is hardly an issue..

The off lead dogs that are aggressive are a different issue and that is the OPs original gripe (not off lead dogs that are in total control)..

There is plenty we can do but if a dog is intent on attacking your dog and it outweighs you, then you are in trouble. The same goes for dogs in packs - if they decide to attack, you are in trouble.

Find areas that you can walk with a good view all around.

Go at different times to find the best time with the fewest irresponsible owners and loose dogs.

Drive to the places, so you car is only ever a few minutes walk away from where you are.

Check out houses around the area and know the ones that have dogs - if you need sanctuary against offending dogs, knowing what yards you can enter on your walk helps heaps.

Carry an umbrella with a pointed end, if opening it in the face of a dog doesn't deter them, then sure are sh*t the pointed end will do some damage in a scuffle.

Lastly, there will always be irresponsible people - there is nothing we can do about others (other than report them at every opportunity) but we can look out for ourselves.

For the next person to tell they shouldn't have to watch out for roaming dogs, guess what - you should and you do have to..

There will always be others who don't care what you want, they don't care about the laws.. Respect and manners are long gone in today's society.

So for you and your dogs to take the safest walk, take some or all of so many great suggestions posted in 32 pages and give it a shot.. You may have to go a town or suburb over to find a nice place to walk, where it is peaceful enough for you to enjoy your walk.

Yes there are always people out there who are less considerate of others. Doesn't mean we need ignore it. Doesn't mean we need to down-size our lives and to give other people special treatment. Sometimes all it take is one person to stand up to an injustice to make a difference. Not only is it great for our own sake. You never know, you may have made a difference in other peoples lives as well.

Dobbing in a suspected drug house could make a difference.

Calling the police about a suspected domestic violence case could help someone.

Calling the ranger about an off-lead dog harassing passing people can save someone.

but I really couldn't care less about a dog off lead that is walking calmly by its owners side minding their own business. If the dog is way out in front of the owner, I tend to go in the opposite direction or cross the road - I don't trust them any more than the next person.

AGAIN, this thread is about off lead dogs that are not like this - it is about being afraid of off lead dogs that do run up to you and your dog (friendly or not)..

It isn't about good dog owners, with well trained dogs that do no-one any harm at all.

And you can predict the future perfectly because you see an unleashed dog 'walking calmly' by the owner's side? I remain totally amazed at what predictions people can make.... that not even God can make.

The cattle dog which attacked my shelties was 'calmly walking by its owner's side'.... who had the lead taken off & hanging over her arm.

Then.... just as God knows can happen, but you don't.... the situation immediately changed when it saw my 2 shelties on the other side of the road. Came like a rocket at them. I finished up flattened on the ground trying to save my shelties from the snapping bites, cattle dog ignoring owner's orders. Total chaos until 2 blokes in a passing truck came to help.

This IS what this thread IS about. Dogs not on lead in real-life situations that are not predictable for dogs owners out walking their leashed dogs..

All situations are not predictable. Which is why councils usually have a by-law.... dogs out in public places must be leashed. Called prevention of problems. Only ego-centric people choose to ignore.

Again..... what bubble floats above the heads of your 'good owners with well trained (unleashed) dogs' to tell other dog owners that they're approaching? Frankly, only observable thing, is that an ego-centric person is approaching who believes they don't have to obey a simple by-law. Not exactly a great reference for their sense of responsibility.

As I said, in areas without these by-laws, it's Russian roulette. Which is why I don't go there.

Now you are just being facetious..

I said 'I' don't care about a dog walking calmly by its owners side and if you had bothered to even read the rest of the sentence before going off on my posts yet again, you would realise that I also said that I would cross a road if the dog was out in front of the owner - nothing about predicting the future or anything like your rant goes on about..

No bubble floats above the head of 'my good owners'.. If they know they have a bomb proof dog that will do no harm, then again - I don't see the issue.

If you have an issue while out walking your dogs with someone who is walking along with their dog, minding their own business (the dog not doing anything to anyone at all), then by all means keep the council number in your mobile phone and call them and report it - it really is ALL you can do!

Nowhere did I state that problems don't happen with off lead dogs - you are reading a lot more into my posts than I am intending. Again, I said I would cross a road if I thought there was a threat.

My posts, which you don't seem to acknowledge or understand, are about me, my experiences and my opinion - they are not the be all and end all of what you should or shouldn't do with YOUR dog, in YOUR town (which I know nothing about)..

I have my opinion and you have yours as to what is acceptable when I am walking my dog, in the areas that I know - I don't care if you don't agree with me Mita, I am as much entitled to my opinion as you are.

I don't understand the issue with walking past an off lead dog that is well trained and doesn't approach your dog - why is that a problem?

It is a problem because you don't wait to walk past an offlead dog to see if it is going to stay by its owner's side. As many have said before, you can't tell by looking at a dog from a distance that is it bombproof.

There was a woaman in the oval with two large dogs, apparently under good control and seemed to have pretty good recall. We were walking on the other side so weren't too concerned. Then suddenly one of the dogs saw a small dog and chased it out to the parking area. It took the woman a few minutes to understand what was happening before she actually called her dog back. No one was hurt, but this was an instance where a seemingly well trained dog, wasn't quite so predictable. Do I want to take that chance? No.

I have my opinion and you have yours as to what is acceptable when I am walking my dog, in the areas that I know - I don't care if you don't agree with me Mita, I am as much entitled to my opinion as you are.

The case being made in this thread is that there are by-laws which determine what SHOULD be done with dogs. And for good reason.

Irrespective of any individual's experience or opinion. Dogs in public places should be leashed. It's not a matter of opinion, nor what one person or other thinks is 'acceptable'. Neither you nor me. Which is why council's have sensibly made it a law.

The case being made in this thread is that there are by-laws which determine what SHOULD be done with dogs. And for good reason.

Irrespective of any individual's experience or opinion. Dogs in public places should be leashed. It's not a matter of opinion, nor what one person or other thinks is 'acceptable'. Neither you nor me. Which is why council's have sensibly made it a law.

And yet again, I reiterate:

There will ALWAYS be people who don't give a shit about what you want, the laws or anything other than their own little world - ALL YOU CAN DO IS REPORT THEM.. We don't have the power to do anything else other than report them. So report, report, report!

There are laws against drink driving, murder, rape, child abuse etc - but we hear about it every single day - the people who commit these crimes don't care.. There are so many people in this world, who don't care what the law says...

I don't think it is acceptable, I never said it was, anywhere in any of my posts, for people to have their dogs off lead in a public place (but to me, in the grand scale of life, it isn't that big a deal - I am happy to cross a road or take a chance and walk on by).

We all live in this world together, neither you or me, will never change people who flout the law like this - no matter how many times we dob them in. So, live defensively - go to places you know are safe, there are less off lead dogs etc etc etc (loads of suggestions in mine and others posts right through the thread)..

Staffuyluv - does this include walking your dog off leash in on leash areas. Off leash areas - go for your life.

I've said that my case relates to areas where the Council by-laws cover as 'public places' and where dogs are required to be on a leash. Covers where most of us take our dogs for a walk in urban areas.

Outside those areas, I've also said ... it becomes an owner's own assessment of risk. Can't apply laws that don't exist. So I don't go there.

Staffuyluv - does this include walking your dog off leash in on leash areas. Off leash areas - go for your life.

I don't walk him off lead in on lead areas. We have an off lead park here in town as well as a few other off lead areas that we are allowed to do this - as a reasonably responsible dog owner, I make sure I use these areas.

The dog park took a while to get right - there have been a few incidences up there with aggressive dogs.

When we go, we go with a group of dogs that we all know and are happy to play together.

Our local park is very vacant around 6am and a few times, I have had him off lead in the oval (as do loads of people here doesn't make it right by I did it and I admit it freely). But I haven't for a very long time. Only because his recall wasn't the best and I didn't want him running up to just anyone. And because he is a bull breed of unknown origin and they have a bad enough name without adding to the problem.

I don't like unknown dogs running up to me and will scare them off or cross a road if need be.

So the short answer to your question is no, I don't walk him off lead in an on lead area.

But I don't really care if other people do - I just go somewhere else.

Aussie is right - this thread is going around in circles.

Totally bomb proof dogs are out there, they stay by the side of their owners no matter what..

I would rather walk by one of these dogs than one that is a complete lunatic on leash.. I know what it is like to have a reactive dog on lead - it has taken months and months of work to get him to the stage where he can walk around the park, without reacting to every dog he sees.. He is happy reactive, he wants to see the other dogs and is submissive as well but at 27kg of bull breed, he could be a nightmare on lead if he wanted to.

Lucky for me, with loads of great advice, training and persistence, I can now walk him without these problems.

I am very lucky, some people never get the resolution I have with Ziggy. A lot of reactive dogs are not submissive or friendly - they simply don't like other dogs in their space and as dog owners, we have to respect each other and what we all want for our dogs.

There are many people who live with dogs like this every single day - they want to walk them in a on leash area, without the threat of unknown dogs coming at them.

If your dog is totally bomb proof, personally I have no issue with you walking it off lead. But if you or your dogs attention lapses, I am sure you will understand when I kick your dog away, that I have spent so much time and energy 'fixing' my dogs issues and I don't want them undone.

As for the off lead thing being illegal, well realistically there are loads of people doing stuff that isn't legal or moral every day - in the grand scheme of life on earth an off lead dog (in control) is hardly an issue..

The off lead dogs that are aggressive are a different issue and that is the OPs original gripe (not off lead dogs that are in total control)..

There is plenty we can do but if a dog is intent on attacking your dog and it outweighs you, then you are in trouble. The same goes for dogs in packs - if they decide to attack, you are in trouble.

Find areas that you can walk with a good view all around.

Go at different times to find the best time with the fewest irresponsible owners and loose dogs.

Drive to the places, so you car is only ever a few minutes walk away from where you are.

Check out houses around the area and know the ones that have dogs - if you need sanctuary against offending dogs, knowing what yards you can enter on your walk helps heaps.

Carry an umbrella with a pointed end, if opening it in the face of a dog doesn't deter them, then sure are sh*t the pointed end will do some damage in a scuffle.

Lastly, there will always be irresponsible people - there is nothing we can do about others (other than report them at every opportunity) but we can look out for ourselves.

For the next person to tell they shouldn't have to watch out for roaming dogs, guess what - you should and you do have to..

There will always be others who don't care what you want, they don't care about the laws.. Respect and manners are long gone in today's society.

So for you and your dogs to take the safest walk, take some or all of so many great suggestions posted in 32 pages and give it a shot.. You may have to go a town or suburb over to find a nice place to walk, where it is peaceful enough for you to enjoy your walk.

Yes there are always people out there who are less considerate of others. Doesn't mean we need ignore it. Doesn't mean we need to down-size our lives and to give other people special treatment. Sometimes all it take is one person to stand up to an injustice to make a difference. Not only is it great for our own sake. You never know, you may have made a difference in other peoples lives as well.

Dobbing in a suspected drug house could make a difference.

Calling the police about a suspected domestic violence case could help someone.

Calling the ranger about an off-lead dog harassing passing people can save someone.

You are so right.

The power of one has changed the world we live in over and over, it only takes one person to stand up and say "No I don't agree", people have been killed for saying it but there is something in human beings that makes another person stand up in their place, that something makes us what we are, some people on this forum may think the world is a tangled mess of law breakers and the morally redundant, what they may not realize is that's its always been that way and in fact a hell of a lot worse. Laws are made and broken, we've all broken the law on occasion, no one really cares if you park in the wrong spot but when the law is broken and someone gets hurt or killed, a lot of people scream "This is not right, it's not good enough" then the law is changed and made stricter. Used to be if you exceeded the speed limit a police car might pull you up, but people kept speeding, now we have speed cameras everywhere. People still speed but now we all get punished for it.

You may think the law doesn't apply to you, that it's not really a serious law, so who cares, but if the dog attacks that have been happening keep on occurring, the law will be changed and for the worse, all dog owners will be punished and restricted, you think that won't affect you, ask the dog owners who are fighting for the lives of their family dogs in Victoria because their dog happens to resemble a pit bull type. That was brought into play because of attacks by bull type dogs that have kept on happening. Some of the owners of the bull types didn't care who got hurt, they didn't bother adequately locking them in or keeping them on lead, they still don't care in WA and they are about to change their dog laws too, dog owners really care when their dogs get confiscated, now because of those few owners all the other owners are being made to suffer, not to mention their dogs.

So next time you see a perfectly controlled off leash dog in an on lead area instead of thinking "That doesn't bother me at all" think if that dog attacks someone (say the grandchild of a judge or a politician), the law will be changed and this park could be made "No dogs allowed". What other people do can affect us directly. If you haven't realized that, well you just aren't paying attention. In this world of rules and regulations "Don't care is made to care".

Jesus, I didn't say I didn't think it was not serious to break laws - read my posts... If you want to pick my posts to pieces read the whole thing in the context it is meant - don't pick out bits to suit your agenda (whatever it is)..

You know if you read slowly and concisely you will get the gist of most of my posts.

I said, there are loads of people out there that don't care about the law or what you want or need..

Next time I see a perfectly controlled dog off lead, I will congratulate the owner on such a wonderfully trained animal - BECAUSE it doesn't bother me that the well behaved/trained/controlled animal is off lead..

If it bothers you - go dob it in..

You can't make people care about the law - all you can do is dob them in.. If you want to spend your life dobbing every single off lead dog owner into the local council, then go for it.. I for one, have much better things to do with my life than dob every dog owner in that looks like it has a dog walking off lead..

Jesus, I didn't say I didn't think it was not serious to break laws - read my posts... If you want to pick my posts to pieces read the whole thing in the context it is meant - don't pick out bits to suit your agenda (whatever it is)..

You know if you read slowly and concisely you will get the gist of most of my posts.

I said, there are loads of people out there that don't care about the law or what you want or need..

Next time I see a perfectly controlled dog off lead, I will congratulate the owner on such a wonderfully trained animal - BECAUSE it doesn't bother me that the well behaved/trained/controlled animal is off lead..

You can't make people care about the law - all you can do is dob them in.. If you want to spend your life dobbing every single off lead dog owner into the local council, then go for it.. I for one, have much better things to do with my life than dob every dog owner in that looks like it has a dog walking off lead..

Wheres that 'like' button?

I have to wonder if some people are simply not able to walk and control their dog on leash and are hence refusing and quoting "their bond" and all that other rubbish...

I wonder if the owners of various dogs that entered our property but never left were spouting the same rubbish and whether they even noticed that Fifi failed to return from his daily morning stroll round the surrounding farms?

This is just going around in circles.

For all those who seem to have issues with their comprehension.

PUT YOUR F***ING DOG ON A LEAD.

Noone gives a toss about your "bond" and news flash: people can't read your mind and know your dog is "bombproof".

This one gets my 'like'.

Only adding it applies in by-law areas.

You obviously feel my last post was aimed at you, it was aimed at everyone who feels its ok for off leash dogs to be walked in on lead areas, if you fit into that description then I guess you are part of my target. I have not picked apart your posts, despite the fact you seem to have picked apart mine earlier on in his thread, and called me contradictory, which is a lot nicer than when someone on this forum called me crazy, but to be honest none of those labels really bothers me.

What I'm attempting to point out is that the very people you support, could be the very people who help stricter dog laws be put in to place, its very simple for you to be part of those restrictive laws all you have to do is NOTHING. Let all the perfect off leash dogs sail passed you and say nothing, or you could go one step worse and congratulate the owners but if you really want to help society, you could compliment the owner and say "You do realise this is an on leash area don't you, I wouldn't want you to be fined". By doing nothing you are enabling the off leashers to take away our (and your ) freedom to walk our dogs. It will happen, google dog attacks and new dog laws, I am not making this all up, it will affect us all. Its not to late if everyone abides by the current law and makes sure our dogs are kept secure and on leashes where required and that stops most of the dog attacks it can only help us stay with the law we have. I'm not attacking you I just think there may be a downside to walking off leash dogs that may not have occurred to you.

I know this is a small forum and does not reach a lot of people but its been worked out if you tell one person, and that one person tells another the word will spread like wild fire. In political circles its accepted that if one person writes a letter or an email to an MP on a subject that means 500 people feel the same way, which in their eyes is 500 votes. Taking that a step further if a group get together to try to stop dog attacks and get new laws made that make parks no dog allowed, we are all sunk. Off lead dogs don't just piss off other people with dogs, its not just dog walkers that get attacked.

If you see an off leash walker, ringing the police won't help or the council, they want a name and address, just reminding nicely that this is an on lead area puts the thought in their heads that people are watching and caring what they do, they may tell you to F off but they still heard you, words that are said or written that you know apply to you are never forgotten, human beings are very susceptible to suggestion. All the off leash walkers I've encountered I've said very nicely (apart from the ones with scary dogs, I haven't been too nice then) "Are you aware this is an off leash area" and I haven't seen them since. They don't know who I am, perhaps I work for the local council, what do you think? You can't make people care about the law but they do care about being fined.

Staffy don't take this personally its not meant that way.

Edited by Trudy08

This is just going around in circles.

For all those who seem to have issues with their comprehension.

PUT YOUR F***ING DOG ON A LEAD.

Noone gives a toss about your "bond" and news flash: people can't read your mind and know your dog is "bombproof".

Ummmm....... No.

So even though your actions could lead to dogs being banned altogether because of owners breaking the law you don't care? It's not just rushing at other dogs, it's the whole I'll do what i want attitude that affects us all.

That's a gross over exaggeration.

Really, I remember when we didn't have as many restrictions on where we could take dogs, laws are getting tougher. What do you think council will do if they get complaints about off lead dogs? Do you think they'll spend money on extra staff to police the area or do you think they'll just do what's easiest and ban the dogs. There is a lot of anti-dog sentiment out there due to selfish owners. I just don't understand why you are proud of breaking the law.

Reverend they must not have TV or read the newspapers, so they don't know about some of the terrible things dogs have done or perhaps they think its all made up by crazy people like us, in the end it doesn't matter whether they believe the dog attack stories or not, the pollies believe it and those poor folks in Vic who have had their dogs confiscated know the pollies believe it because they are being punished because of those attacks. None is so blind as he/she who will not see.

Wheres that 'like' button?

Don't tempt me!!!

[

Like I said - so far so good... I don't doubt with the level of irresponsible owners that I may encounter a dog that doesn't stop. I must admit, I am like a hawk when out with the dogs, watching all the time - but I am in an area that I am comfortable and know very well.

I also have a 27kg bull breed (a big woosy one that rolls over or runs away every time he has been confronted) that is happy to stand behind me if a dog is charging (old Ollie dog was the same)..

Not that we can test it :) but it'd be interesting if we could replay my situations.... but this time, I've got your big bull breed with me. Would the attacking dogs have then behaved differently????

Staffy, we had a conversation earlier in the thread which sums up why the issue of unleashed dogs (in by-law areas) might be marginally more concerning for someone like me.... who's been in nasty situations with our small shelties & tibbies. I wanted to borrow your big bully breed.... for a test run to see if we'd be any safer. :) Seems you are like a hawk, too, when out with the dogs.

Edited by mita

You obviously feel my last post was aimed at you, it was aimed at everyone who feels its ok for off leash dogs to be walked in on lead areas, if you fit into that description then I guess you are part of my target. I have not picked apart your posts, despite the fact you seem to have picked apart mine earlier on in his thread, and called me contradictory, which is a lot nicer than when someone on this forum called me crazy, but to be honest none of those labels really bothers me.

What I'm attempting to point out is that the very people you support, could be the very people who help stricter dog laws be put in to place, its very simple for you to be part of those restrictive laws all you have to do is NOTHING. Let all the perfect off leash dogs sail passed you and say nothing, or you could go one step worse and congratulate the owners but if you really want to help society, you could compliment the owner and say "You do realise this is an on leash area don't you, I wouldn't want you to be fined". By doing nothing you are enabling the off leashers to take away our (and your ) freedom to walk our dogs. It will happen, google dog attacks and new dog laws, I am not making this all up, it will affect us all. Its not to late if everyone abides by the current law and makes sure our dogs are kept secure and on leashes where required and that stops most of the dog attacks it can only help us stay with the law we have. I'm not attacking you I just think there may be a downside to walking off leash dogs that may not have occurred to you.

I know this is a small forum and does not reach a lot of people but its been worked out if you tell one person, and that one person tells another the word will spread like wild fire. In political circles its accepted that if one person writes a letter or an email to an MP on a subject that means 500 people feel the same way, which in their eyes is 500 votes. Taking that a step further if a group get together to try to stop dog attacks and get new laws made that make parks no dog allowed, we are all sunk. Off lead dogs don't just piss off other people with dogs, its not just dog walkers that get attacked.

If you see an off leash walker, ringing the police won't help or the council, they want a name and address, just reminding nicely that this is an on lead area puts the thought in their heads that people are watching and caring what they do, they may tell you to F off but they still heard you, words that are said or written that you know apply to you are never forgotten, human beings are very susceptible to suggestion. All the off leash walkers I've encountered I've said very nicely (apart from the ones with scary dogs, I haven't been too nice then) "Are you aware this is an off leash area" and I haven't seen them since. They don't know who I am, perhaps I work for the local council, what do you think? You can't make people care about the law but they do care about being fined.

Steph don't take this personally its not meant that way.

You quoted me - if you were not responding to me, then don't quote me..

Edited to add - in my opinion, there isn't a downside to walking a well trained/behaved dog off lead. I wouldn't do it but I have seen a few and to be honest, they are a non issue.

You don't have to lecture me on the problems of outdated dog laws - I have been a dog owner and a member of this forum long enough to know what is and isn't OK..

So you spend your spare time making sure all the off lead dog walkers in your area are aware it is an on lead area or they can be fined - good for you..

I have much better things to do with my time - like enjoy my walk with my dog, instead of worrying about something that is of no concern to me (remember I am talking about well behaved/trained dogs who don't run off to meet me and my dog - they simply go about their walk like I do)..

If the dog was off lead, menacing and appearing dangerous - it probably wouldn't have an owner with it in my neck of the woods. So in this case, I would put a call in to our local ranger and let them know there is an off lead dog at such and such location. Now that owner should be fined.. Not the one, causing nobody any harm, minding his own business..

No wonder we can't take our dogs anywhere anymore..

Edited by Staffyluv

in my opinion, there isn't a downside to walking a well trained/behaved dog off lead.

There isn't...from the offlead dog owners' perspective.

But if you consider all the other dog owners who have to choose a different road or go back home because they can't predict which dog is well trained and which isn't...then it is definitely an issue.

I guess this whole discussion is really about those who prefer to walk their dogs offlead asking "what's in it for me?" And if they can't see a downside to themselves, that's where it stops.