I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

The point I'm making is shit happens, leashes aren't infallible and things can happen.

FWIW I'm an on-leash person. I'm not disagreeing. I just think arming yourself and being on high alert and panic stations is a really dangerous standpoint.

Yes accidents happens. But we don't need to go and drive on the wrong side of the road just because we're confident drivers. If people want to live on the "wild side" they should do so in their own little space and shouldn't be putting the public at risk.

Now I know people who've witnessed off-lead dogs tear up an on-lead dogs in front of it's owners. Guts flying everywhere. I've had many close calls myself. Little dogs rushing at us. My quick thinking has saved many off-lead dogs lives. So yes I do scan a head and I am aware of my surroundings. So I'd rather be aware then ignorant.

I agree wholeheartedly, aware and alert beats the hell out of panic stricken.

I can not personally justify carrying a maglite or a stick or cattle prod no matter how many unfriendly dogs we've come across. It honestly stinks of all kinds of crazy to me and I really have to bow out of this ridiculous thread now. It's infuriating from both sides of the argument, you should not have your dogs ambling free off lead, there's not any real need, however if shit happens and my dog happened to say get out after a break in, or snap his collar or something else happen and some loony beat him or sprayed him I would be beyond furious and as much as you have a right to defend your own, so would I. And I would.

Friendly off lead dogs don't bother me in the slightest, but it's law as the majority are troublesome or less than controlled, but from the other side of the fence you really need to assess the situation at hand before losing your mind and whipping out a cattle prod. Perhaps if you really are considering arming yourself because walks in your neighborhood are so traumatic for you, it might be best to think about a dog treadmill or an acreage or something.

I really would be more concerned about some unauthorised person carrying a concealed weapon than a dog.

Oh and I'll just leave this here too, from www.police.vic.gov.au

Dangerous Articles

Dangerous articles are any item which is either:

carried with the intention of being used as a weapon, or

adapted or modified so as to be capable of being used as a weapon.

Dangerous articles can include things that are otherwise lawful. For example, everyday tools, household items or sports equipment etc.

A person must not possess or carry dangerous articles in a public place without lawful excuse.

Lawful excuse includes:

a) the pursuit of any lawful employment, duty or activity

b) participation in any lawful sport, recreation or entertainment

c) the legitimate collection, display or exhibition of the article, and

d) the use of the article for the purpose for which it is designed or intended.

Lawful excuse does not include for the purpose of self-defence.

If you say so, but the dogs who rushed us weren't friendly and they sure as hell weren't the "innocent victims" of an equipment failure. I work in rescue and whilst not an expert am a reasonable judge of a dog's body language, they were not coming over just to say hello, and I was walking a dog that had just had a femoral head ostectomy, I could not afford for her to jump or twist suddenly in an effort to avoid a bite. She did not have enough viable bone for a hip replacement so an attack or even an aggressive rush, was a matter of life or death for her whether or not she was badly bitten but because of the possible consequences for her leg. She was not able to run away so I was forced to stand my ground and if I had to use force to prevent her being injured I would. I am not talking about running across the street to bash or beat a dog ambling along besides it's owner, but about taking the neccesary steps to protect mine and if that equates in your mind to "all kinds of crazy", on high alert and panic stations and ignorant, then I guess I am. But my dog is as safe as it can be whilst others persist in breaking the law.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, if a dog approaches my dog in public, I assess the situation.

If the approaching dog looks like it is going to be troublesome, then I would try to shoo it away. If that failed a good swift kick would probably be all that was needed to move it on. Most (MOST) dogs, don't want a confrontation with a human..

If the approaching dog appeared friendly, I am happy for it to say hello and then go on our way (I realise not everyone is happy for a strange dog to say hi to theirs, so see above suggestion, shoo it away with a growly get lost)..

If the dog went to attack my dog, I would do whatever it took to protect my dog.. To be honest, I think one kick and most dogs would take off.

I will protect my dog because it is my expectation of myself, as his owner to do so..

It is also surprising what you can do, when you are protecting your dog - I lifted a year old GSD off Ziggy at training one day because she pinned him.. I know I lifted her off by the scruff of her neck and rump fur but I honestly don't recall that she was heavy or it was hard to do - I just did it.

Carrying a stick isn't odd here, I would say 1 in 3 walkers do and more like 2 out of 3 in magpie season. But I think where and when you walk makes a huge difference as to whether you encounter loose dog problems. I lived in a suburb 3 kms from here for years without an issue, moved a short distance and it is a different story. Even here, if you can walk during normal business hours it pretty good, only the mornings and weekends seem problematic. People moving in and out of the neighbourhood matter too, at the moment it is not bad, some of the troublesome owners have moved I would guess.

But it isn't the average, able to be shooed off, dog that bothers me really. I dont even care about off lead dogs in parks, I have a choice about going there and in the unfenced parks the dogs are pretty good anyway. It is the high velocity attack with intent, sometimes by more than one dog, on the ordinary suburban street. Once you have been on the end of one of those-and it took twenty odd years of dog ownership before I was-your sense of safety changes, for the worse.

Edited by Diva

The point I'm making is shit happens, leashes aren't infallible and things can happen.

FWIW I'm an on-leash person. I'm not disagreeing. I just think arming yourself and being on high alert and panic stations is a really dangerous standpoint.

Yes accidents happens. But we don't need to go and drive on the wrong side of the road just because we're confident drivers. If people want to live on the "wild side" they should do so in their own little space and shouldn't be putting the public at risk.

Now I know people who've witnessed off-lead dogs tear up an on-lead dogs in front of it's owners. Guts flying everywhere. I've had many close calls myself. Little dogs rushing at us. My quick thinking has saved many off-lead dogs lives. So yes I do scan a head and I am aware of my surroundings. So I'd rather be aware then ignorant.

I agree wholeheartedly, aware and alert beats the hell out of panic stricken.

I can not personally justify carrying a maglite or a stick or cattle prod no matter how many unfriendly dogs we've come across. It honestly stinks of all kinds of crazy to me and I really have to bow out of this ridiculous thread now. It's infuriating from both sides of the argument, you should not have your dogs ambling free off lead, there's not any real need, however if shit happens and my dog happened to say get out after a break in, or snap his collar or something else happen and some loony beat him or sprayed him I would be beyond furious and as much as you have a right to defend your own, so would I. And I would.

Friendly off lead dogs don't bother me in the slightest, but it's law as the majority are troublesome or less than controlled, but from the other side of the fence you really need to assess the situation at hand before losing your mind and whipping out a cattle prod. Perhaps if you really are considering arming yourself because walks in your neighborhood are so traumatic for you, it might be best to think about a dog treadmill or an acreage or something.

I really would be more concerned about some unauthorised person carrying a concealed weapon than a dog.

Oh and I'll just leave this here too, from www.police.vic.gov.au

Dangerous Articles

Dangerous articles are any item which is either:

carried with the intention of being used as a weapon, or

adapted or modified so as to be capable of being used as a weapon.

Dangerous articles can include things that are otherwise lawful. For example, everyday tools, household items or sports equipment etc.

A person must not possess or carry dangerous articles in a public place without lawful excuse.

Lawful excuse includes:

a) the pursuit of any lawful employment, duty or activity

b) participation in any lawful sport, recreation or entertainment

c) the legitimate collection, display or exhibition of the article, and

d) the use of the article for the purpose for which it is designed or intended.

Lawful excuse does not include for the purpose of self-defence.

If you say so, but the dogs who rushed us weren't friendly and they sure as hell weren't the "innocent victims" of an equipment failure. I work in rescue and whilst not an expert am a reasonable judge of a dog's body language, they were not coming over just to say hello, and I was walking a dog that had just had a femoral head ostectomy, I could not afford for her to jump or twist suddenly in an effort to avoid a bite. She did not have enough viable bone for a hip replacement so an attack or even an aggressive rush, was a matter of life or death for her whether or not she was badly bitten but because of the possible consequences for her leg. She was not able to run away so I was forced to stand my ground and if I had to use force to prevent her being injured I would. I am not talking about running across the street to bash or beat a dog ambling along besides it's owner, but about taking the neccesary steps to protect mine and if that equates in your mind to "all kinds of crazy", on high alert and panic stations and ignorant, then I guess I am. But my dog is as safe as it can be whilst others persist in breaking the law.

Sorry I didn't realise you had a dog who had just had surgery, its hard to know what to suggest as I realise you have to walk your dog to get her hip functioning, that feeling of

vulnerability must be overwhelming, it could be a matter of finding a safe place for her to exercise, after the dog attack I had, I started walking my dog in a park in a nearby town that is used by the Guide dog trainers, I'm fairly certain its safe there because they seem to have cleaned up any off leashers, with threats of fines. It was the only place I felt safe, its where I go if I've had a set back, been rushed by a dog near home for instance. I guess its too much to hope you'd have somewhere like that near you. Is there no one you know that has any fenced land thats dog free, that you could use? You could always walk her on a main road, they are usually relatively safe, or failing that have you another person that can go with you to run interference if any dogs rush you, I know lots of dog walkers that go in groups for protection. I use a spray called Spray Shield that I got online from Animalcare Australia, its a citronella spray thats made as a dog deterrent, I've found it very useful, its harmless to dogs BTW but they don't like it much. What I do if a dog rushes me is turn towards it, don't keep walking or it will chase you, mostly when you face it they slow down to gauge what you are about, stand solid, if it still approaches me with that stiff tail going on or that wild wagging, I spray the stuff on the floor right in front of it, it comes out with some force, up to this point in time all of them have stopped in their tracks and turned slowly back to home, one turned and scampered straight back over the fence it had jumped. If your dog is non reactive the standing solid and facing the dog may work on its own, my dog doesn't react she just gets behind me and stands silently. If you have stick doing a sweeping motion in front of you can help too. Although I find it very hard coordinating a stick and a spray can while holding the leash. :) One lone dog is much easier to bluff than two, then just aim at the leader of the two. Its hard to keep your nerve with your heart jumping out of your chest I know. :(

I hope I've not just told you a whole lot of stuff you already know and you aren't about to tell me you've been training dogs for 20 years :laugh:

You will never hear from me that I think you are "all kinds of crazy" ignorant or panicky I can assure you, because I can beat most people in the all kinds of crazy behaviour when it comes to any threats to my dog or my kids and grandkids, I'd take a bullet for any of them. I would kill and dance on the grave of any dog that tried to attack them, is that bat shit crazy, if it is I don't know much care, its my version of being a carer for my family. :)

I'd like to let everyone know that I would never strike a dog or hurt it in anyway unless I was sure it was committed to hurting me, my dog or anyone I had with me. I am not crazy violent person but I will deflect a suspect dog away from me by various non deadly methods, like shouting, or spraying with Spray Shield, if I ever meet any of you or your dogs be assured all I want is a relaxed walk with my dog, I am not looking for trouble, quite the reverse, but if any dog seeks to spoil my serenity by attempting to bite us, or run over the top of us I will react and not with an indulgent smile. I'm sorry if any off leashers have a problem with this but you will be breaking the law not me. You will never see me in an off leash park. :)

Id rather a dog under effective control unleashed than an out of control onlead. A leash can give people a false sense of security.

I had a highly trained dog that my mother would walk offlead. She never broke away. Never so much as sniffed another dog unless told she could. I can say that because she has passed on now.

I havent had a dog as reliable since. So I keep them on lead now. All about being a responsible owner. A good heel doesnt mean your dog wont run off. It has to be desensitized. It has to be happy to ignore the whole world.

I was rushed by three dogs last weekend. Only one had been offlead.

Another thing to consider is how do you react to a charging dog. If you become tense, afraid or jerky you can change the mood of the confrontation. Not that any dog should approach you but maybe food for thought to help your situation. I would never pick up a small dog. It can encourage some dogs to target it. I know why people do it but Ive seen a dog killed over this.

If the approaching dog looks like it is going to be troublesome, then I would try to shoo it away. If that failed a good swift kick would probably be all that was needed to move it on. Most (MOST) dogs, don't want a confrontation with a human..

If the approaching dog appeared friendly, I am happy for it to say hello and then go on our way (I realise not everyone is happy for a strange dog to say hi to theirs, so see above suggestion, shoo it away with a growly get lost)..

If the dog went to attack my dog, I would do whatever it took to protect my dog.. To be honest, I think one kick and most dogs would take off.

I will protect my dog because it is my expectation of myself, as his owner to do so..

It is also surprising what you can do, when you are protecting your dog - I lifted a year old GSD off Ziggy at training one day because she pinned him.. I know I lifted her off by the scruff of her neck and rump fur but I honestly don't recall that she was heavy or it was hard to do - I just did it.

One kick and most dogs would take off I agree but what about the greyhound that was killed here last month? That dog was being kicked by several people and it didn't even flinch. As I said earlier in this thread the only thing that made that dog run was being smashed with a fire extinguisher and even then it took a while for it to give up, by that time the greyhound was dead on the road in front of it's distraught owner. I am one of those that is not happy for a dog to say hello, I like Kirty do not want dogs approaching mine and I have TWO dogs to defend. I don't want to have to lift any dog off mine, I don't want to have to assess a situation I just want to take them for a bloody walk!

Edited by stans mum

Trudy08 my comment wasn't aimed at you, so sorry if it came across that way, it wasn't you who had said those things. I rarely comment in these threads because they tend to end up the same way, but I feel quite strongly about this. I too would never harm a dog if I could avoid it, but equally my primary responsibility in my opinion is to MY dog; not the uncontrolled dog charging it. I don't argue with the owners of the off leash dog, I can do without the mouthful of abuse/ he is just being friendly/he has never done that before blah,blah,blah; I tend to find those that wilfully ignore the law are selectively deaf anyway so pointless wasting my breath - but if I am charged from a property I will report the owner if I can see where the dog has come from. I find it very sad that there are many owners who are afraid to walk their dogs in their local area.

I do accept that there are dogs who are well behaved and may not need to be leashed, but my personal experience is that they are very much in the minority.

I'd like to let everyone know that I would never strike a dog or hurt it in anyway unless I was sure it was committed to hurting me, my dog or anyone I had with me. I am not crazy violent person but I will deflect a suspect dog away from me by various non deadly methods, like shouting, or spraying with Spray Shield, if I ever meet any of you or your dogs be assured all I want is a relaxed walk with my dog, I am not looking for trouble, quite the reverse, but if any dog seeks to spoil my serenity by attempting to bite us, or run over the top of us I will react and not with an indulgent smile. I'm sorry if any off leashers have a problem with this but you will be breaking the law not me. You will never see me in an off leash park. :)

The irony of course is that the people you need to worry about will never read any of this, no matter how many posts you make on DoL. Even the few defending off lease walking are highly unlikely to be the owners we fear. They aren't here, not even as visitors. And even if they were, they would only laugh.

Edited by Diva

The irony of course is that the people you need to worry about will never read any of this, no matter how many posts you make on DoL. Even the few defending off lease walking are highly unlikely to be the owners we fear. They aren't here, not even as visitors. And even if they were, they would only laugh.

Sad but true Diva. :(

There is at least one member of this forum who feels my experiences with off leash dogs are really a symptom of me having some kind of "contributing factor" , perhaps over the last 50 years I've hallucinated every one if them. Razor is right if he thinks I'm mad, I'm actually bloody furious that doing something as simple as walking a dog can be made so unpleasant by the careless and the inconsiderate.

It's a phenomenon called 'blame the victim', Trudy. A scenario that lives in the head of the person who blames the victim.

Totally and absolutely agree with this comment. I might add its usually bullies who are afflicted with this phenomenon. Keep fighting the good fight Trudy.

Thanks everyone for your support. I generally come across two types of off leash dog walkers, the ones with the excitable dogs are the bullies, they seem to be very defensive if anyone objects to their dog getting up close and personal, it's like they've come out to get in a fight, and having their dog off leash works for them every time, they have this superior attitude that shouts "I've got a big dog be careful what you say to me". Then there's the other type who walk passed with their dog like a shadow that doesn't look left or right, those I like, however both types are doing something illegal which may one day be also classed as menacing. Bullies are angry at the world and want to pass on their pain to anyone they come across who seems weaker than them.

You love a stereotype don't you.

Huh? Just calling them as I see them!

Trudy08 my comment wasn't aimed at you, so sorry if it came across that way, it wasn't you who had said those things. I rarely comment in these threads because they tend to end up the same way, but I feel quite strongly about this. I too would never harm a dog if I could avoid it, but equally my primary responsibility in my opinion is to MY dog; not the uncontrolled dog charging it. I don't argue with the owners of the off leash dog, I can do without the mouthful of abuse/ he is just being friendly/he has never done that before blah,blah,blah; I tend to find those that wilfully ignore the law are selectively deaf anyway so pointless wasting my breath - but if I am charged from a property I will report the owner if I can see where the dog has come from. I find it very sad that there are many owners who are afraid to walk their dogs in their local area.

I do accept that there are dogs who are well behaved and may not need to be leashed, but my personal experience is that they are very much in the minority.

I find it very sad also, so many people where I live have said to me they don't walk their dogs anymore, they look surprised when I say that I do. It shouldn't be that way. I hope you find somewhere safe to walk your dog and she makes a quick recovery. :)

I know trying to talk to the owners of out of control dogs is like the desperate pleading with the arrogant and uncaring, but no doubt I will continue to do it because I'm stubborn.

My husband tells me nothing will change because there will always be an element of society who don't give a rats arse about anyone else, unfortunately it appears a lot of that element own dogs. :mad

One kick and most dogs would take off I agree but what about the greyhound that was killed here last month? That dog was being kicked by several people and it didn't even flinch. As I said earlier in this thread the only thing that made that dog run was being smashed with a fire extinguisher and even then it took a while for it to give up, by that time the greyhound was dead on the road in front of it's distraught owner. I am one of those that is not happy for a dog to say hello, I like Kirty do not want dogs approaching mine and I have TWO dogs to defend. I don't want to have to lift any dog off mine, I don't want to have to assess a situation I just want to take them for a bloody walk!

SM any incident like that is beyond horrible but in reality, it is the rarity as well (thankfully)..

You are totally within your rights not to want other dogs to say hi to your dogs - they are your dogs and you can decide that. Unfortunately not everyone in the community will respect that - it is the times we live in. All I can suggest is report the owners and dogs if they keep going and you have asked them not to come close. No one wants to do these things but again, we live in a world that has very little respect for other humans - what do they care about someone else's dog..

Report people, search for places you do feel more comfortable walking your dog are all the suggestions I have because in the long run, we can only control OUR dogs and what we do - we have no control over other people and what they do with their dogs.

Most and I did try to stress MOST dogs, would go with a growly get away and a step towards them.. If that fails then a kick would send the majority of dogs on their way.

The dog that attacks and won't stop really is rare when you consider the amount of dogs we have in our community.

All we can do, as responsible dog owners is report these dogs..

Personally I would throw my dog up on a car or over a fence (probably not the best idea either) if I thought it would save it from an attacking dog.

I know a lady who used to walk her dog with a bag of water balloons to throw at off leash dogs *true story

Interesting idea, I guess it would distract the dogs, I'd end up with the balloon bursting on me I'm sure. I knew a lady who used to carry a pocket full of pebbles to throw at wandering dogs. She had a good aim, I didn't like the way the dogs yelped when the pebble hit them, so I couldn't do that. :eek:

SM any incident like that is beyond horrible but in reality, it is the rarity as well (thankfully)..

You are totally within your rights not to want other dogs to say hi to your dogs - they are your dogs and you can decide that. Unfortunately not everyone in the community will respect that - it is the times we live in. All I can suggest is report the owners and dogs if they keep going and you have asked them not to come close. No one wants to do these things but again, we live in a world that has very little respect for other humans - what do they care about someone else's dog..

Report people, search for places you do feel more comfortable walking your dog are all the suggestions I have because in the long run, we can only control OUR dogs and what we do - we have no control over other people and what they do with their dogs.

Most and I did try to stress MOST dogs, would go with a growly get away and a step towards them.. If that fails then a kick would send the majority of dogs on their way.

The dog that attacks and won't stop really is rare when you consider the amount of dogs we have in our community.

Personally I would throw my dog up on a car or over a fence (probably not the best idea either) if I thought it would save it from an attacking dog.

Yes I agree and not having a go at you SL, the thing is at 50 years of age and riddled with arthritis I would struggle to throw one of my greyhounds over a fence let alone two. My point is why should I? I SHOULD be able to walk my dogs without fear but apparently that is not my right anymore :(

Carrying a stick isn't odd here, I would say 1 in 3 walkers do and more like 2 out of 3 in magpie season. But I think where and when you walk makes a huge difference as to whether you encounter loose dog problems. I lived in a suburb 3 kms from here for years without an issue, moved a short distance and it is a different story. Even here, if you can walk during normal business hours it pretty good, only the mornings and weekends seem problematic. People moving in and out of the neighbourhood matter too, at the moment it is not bad, some of the troublesome owners have moved I  would guess.

But it isn't the average, able to be shooed off, dog that bothers me really. I dont even care about off lead dogs in parks, I have a choice about going there and in the unfenced parks the dogs are pretty good anyway. It is the high velocity attack with intent, sometimes by more than one dog, on the ordinary suburban street. Once you have been on the end of one of those-and it took twenty odd years of dog ownership before I was-your sense of safety changes, for the worse.

I agree the high velocity attack is a real life changing experience, it seemed to sensitize me to all the rest, loose dogs in the park etc, I'm afraid when I see a large off leash dog and that makes me cranky, I hate being made to feel that way.

I find walking during the day in the early afternoon is the safest too.

Yes I agree and not having a go at you SL, the thing is at 50 years of age and riddled with arthritis I would struggle to throw one of my greyhounds over a fence let alone two. My point is why should I? I SHOULD be able to walk my dogs without fear but apparently that is not my right anymore :(

Also the attacking dog isn't going to wait patiently while you throw your dogs over the fence, dog attacks are fast and quite often the dog is on you before you have chance to react. :(

Guest Maeby Fünke

I prefer to go to the beach or a national park (where dogs must be on a leash). If I have to walk around my neighbourhood, I go between 6pm and 7.30pm when most people are at home having dinner. Or if the weather is warm I go late at night.

Edited by Maeby Fünke