I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

I prefer to go to the beach or a national park (where dogs must be on a leash). If I have to walk around my neighbourhood, I go between 6pm and 7.30pm when most people are at home having dinner. Or if the weather is warm I go late at night.

Going to places where dogs must be on a leash is one of the core complaints in this thread, people ignore it! Unless there is a ranger right there lots of people ignore the must be on a leash part and that is the whole problem.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SM, I realise you weren't having a go and I totally agree with you - we should be able to do a lot of things without fear but that isn't the world we live in anymore. As kids we could play in the streets and our parents were never worried about us being taken or worse..

Trudy08, sometimes we don't have time to see dogs coming at us - the reason I choose to walk in our local park. I wouldn't walk my dog(s) around the local streets of town because any dog can come out of any driveway and the chance that they are on me before I can do anything about it, is diminished.

Again, back to the choices we make with our dogs. I walk in places I know that I will have a good view around me. In places where I know I have options if a dog comes at me.. These are the choices I make to walk my dog and feel safe.

My whole point has been simply that we can only do what we can do - we cannot control everything in our lives, including someone else and their dogs.

So we have to make allowances as dog owners and do what is in the best interest of ourselves and our own dogs.

Find a better place to walk, a place where you have better vision of what could come at you, stick to know on leash areas (you will still come across unleashed dogs but it won't be as many).

Work out the times that are best suited to walking a dog around your neighbourhood if you can only walk them in the streets around your home.

Personally, I prefer to drive to our local park - it is safer there due to vision and it is on lead. Sure we get the odd offleash dogs but in the grand scheme of the amount of dogs we see at the park, I would think 90% would do the right thing.

I prefer to go to the beach or a national park (where dogs must be on a leash). If I have to walk around my neighbourhood, I go between 6pm and 7.30pm when most people are at home having dinner. Or if the weather is warm I go late at night.

Dog beaches are usually ok but I've found late at night a bit hazardous around where I live, as some dog owners let there dogs "out for a run" at night. :(

Aren't National Parks no dogs allowed now, even on a leash? The ones I've been to in NSW are.

Guest hankodie

Just reading back on some of these posts. To those who walk their dogs off lead in areas where it is illegal: do you know that you're breaking the law? And if so, why do you do it? :confused: It just seems so unnecessary. So you got your dog to follow you around everywhere. Great job. Why don't you practice this great bond you have with your dog in LEGAL off lead areas, these do not include suburban streets and cafe fronts. There is absolutely no reason to break the law, I don't care how well behaved your dog is. And frankly, "I walk my dog off lead because he and i have an amazing bond so screw the law" is poor reasoning, it also makes you sound like you caught a couple of episodes of Cesar Millan one night and decided that you too are an alpha pack master leader of all dogs (or whatever).

I've met with some amazing dog trainers who all have well behaved dogs that would probably walk at perfect heel through fire and even they would never dream of walking their dogs off leash where it is not permitted. It just seems silly and unnecessary.

I don't think there's any hysteria in this post, getting rushed at/being attacked by a loose dog is incredibly terrifying and downright traumatising. I fully sympathise with everyone who has had to endure such an unfortunate experience. I am a tiny petite woman and I would not be able to defend myself or my dogs in an attack and I have had some very, very close calls. One of those times a young man dashed out of his house because he heard me yelling, if it weren't for him the incident could have ended very badly.

It comes down to consideration, keep your dog on a leash or contained when required. It really isn't that hard.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Dog beaches are usually ok but I've found late at night a bit hazardous around where I live, as some dog owners let there dogs "out for a run" at night. :(

Aren't National Parks no dogs allowed now, even on a leash? The ones I've been to in NSW are.

Do they just let them out all by themselves? That's terrible!

I live close to a National Park with lots of walking tracks and there are signs everywhere saying that dogs must be on a leash. But I have been to other National Parks where dogs aren't allowed full stop.

SM, I realise you weren't having a go and I totally agree with you - we should be able to do a lot of things without fear but that isn't the world we live in anymore. As kids we could play in the streets and our parents were never worried about us being taken or worse..

Trudy08, sometimes we don't have time to see dogs coming at us - the reason I choose to walk in our local park. I wouldn't walk my dog(s) around the local streets of town because any dog can come out of any driveway and the chance that they are on me before I can do anything about it, is diminished.

Again, back to the choices we make with our dogs. I walk in places I know that I will have a good view around me. In places where I know I have options if a dog comes at me.. These are the choices I make to walk my dog and feel safe.

My whole point has been simply that we can only do what we can do - we cannot control everything in our lives, including someone else and their dogs.

So we have to make allowances as dog owners and do what is in the best interest of ourselves and our own dogs.

Find a better place to walk, a place where you have better vision of what could come at you, stick to know on leash areas (you will still come across unleashed dogs but it won't be as many).

Work out the times that are best suited to walking a dog around your neighbourhood if you can only walk them in the streets around your home.

Personally, I prefer to drive to our local park - it is safer there due to vision and it is on lead. Sure we get the odd offleash dogs but in the grand scheme of the amount of dogs we see at the park, I would think 90% would do the right thing.

I do make allowances for other dog owners, if I see an off leash dog in the park, I go around the park to avoid it, I don't look for trouble, I do get cranky when despite me bending over backwards by taking detours someone insists on us interacting with their off leash dog and gets offended if I decline the honour.

I've got my walk more or less mapped out, it includes a main road and a small park, the small park being the riskiest, I stay away from quiet suburban streets now. I didn't walk with my dog for 12 months after my attack, I felt like we were under house arrest. As we were attacked just outside my house on the nature strip, getting out the door was my biggest issue. If I have a bad day, the next day I drive to a town nearby and walk in the park where the Guide Dogs are trained. That's a safe spot, the Guide dog trainers jump on any off leash dogs and their owners.

Edited by Trudy08

Around here people let their dogs out after 5.30 as the know the rangers are finished for the day. They lock them back in at around 6 am before any of the rangers are back at work.

It's most frustrating.

I do not appreciate having off lead dogs come up to mine full stop. Experience has shown me there are more not friendly to aggressive than there are friendly.

I will soon be walking three Whippets, all on lead all under control. I expect the courteousy of others doing the same.

Luckily I live on acreage so it is not something I have to worry about often, but sometimes we all go in, the kids take their bikes and we go for a walk around. It should have to involve dodging dogs or defending my dogs and kids from them.

Do they just let them out all by themselves? That's terrible!

I live close to a National Park with lots of walking tracks and there are signs everywhere saying that dogs must be on a leash. But I have been to other National Parks where dogs aren't allowed full stop.

Yes they just let them out by themselves, I've had people tell me they let their dogs out for a run. Amazing isn't it, that's why I don't walk at night.

Ok there are some on leash National Parks I thought they were all no dogs allowed.

Just reading back on some of these posts. To those who walk their dogs off lead in areas where it is illegal: do you know that you're breaking the law? And if so, why do you do it? :confused: It just seems so unnecessary. So you got your dog to follow you around everywhere. Great job. Why don't you practice this great bond you have with your dog in LEGAL off lead areas, these do not include suburban streets and cafe fronts. There is absolutely no reason to break the law, I don't care how well behaved your dog is. And frankly, "I walk my dog off lead because he and i have an amazing bond so screw the law" is poor reasoning, it also makes you sound like you caught a couple of episodes of Cesar Millan one night and decided that you too are an alpha pack master leader of all dogs (or whatever).

I've met with some amazing dog trainers who all have well behaved dogs that would probably walk at perfect heel through fire and even they would never dream of walking their dogs off leash where it is not permitted. It just seems silly and unnecessary.

I don't think there's any hysteria in this post, getting rushed at/being attacked by a loose dog is incredibly terrifying and downright traumatising. I fully sympathise with everyone who has had to endure such an unfortunate experience. I am a tiny petite woman and I would not be able to defend myself or my dogs in an attack and I have had some very, very close calls. One of those times a young man dashed out of his house because he heard me yelling, if it weren't for him the incident could have ended very badly.

It comes down to consideration, keep your dog on a leash or contained when required. It really isn't that hard.

I've asked these same questions and haven't really got a sensible answer from the off leash walkers, only a lot of clap trap about having a special bond with their dog. I don't get there need to do it either, I suspect the real reason doesn't sound as uplifting as the bonding claim and has more to do with looking cool and being super human, showing the world what a superior being they must be to have such control over their large pet, that they don't need to tie their dog to them. I've even been told repeatedly that an unleashed dog doesn't mean an uncontrolled dog, there's a highly irrational statement if ever there was one.

They don't even attempt to explain why they feel they are entitled to break the law. It's all very odd I've never come across a state of denial quite like it.

What bothers me is that if this forum is a cross section of our society, say if there are 10 posters at any one time and two of them haven't got a problem with walking there dog off leash, does that mean out in the real world that two out of every ten dog owners feel they are entitled to break the leash laws too. Scary idea I think.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Going to places where dogs must be on a leash is one of the core complaints in this thread, people ignore it! Unless there is a ranger right there lots of people ignore the must be on a leash part and that is the whole problem.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a pain - I haven't read the whole thread :o

I was responding to the people who talked about where they felt safest walking their dogs. For me, that's in an on-leash area. I guess I don't have the same complaint about inconsiderate dog owners in on-leash areas; that's never been an issue for me. I hope I didn't sound insensitive to those who do have that complaint. I will go back and read the thread from the beginning :)

I was responding to the people who talked about where they felt safest walking their dogs. For me, that's in an on-leash area. I guess I don't have the same complaint about inconsiderate dog owners in on-leash areas; that's never been an issue for me. I hope I didn't sound insensitive to those who do have that complaint. I will go back and read the thread from the beginning :)

Sorry if I came across as terse, wasn't intentional. It's just an emotional issue for some of us now and the fact people are not respecting on lead laws means we either don't take our dogs out or risk a serious attack. I don't go to off lead parks any more at all but would like to be able to walk in peace in on lead areas. But those addicted to off leash (the link is in the thread, very funny :laugh: ) make it a stressful experience. Then when you say that you won't just stand there if your dog is attacked you are labelled hysterical and crazy.

You must have trouble with written comprehension. Why don't you go back over my post slowly and you might be able to figure out why I'm not one of those. It was a good attempt at insulting me.

He may not have an addiction. Maybe just watched the movie Red Dog too many times :) .

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry if I came across as terse, wasn't intentional. It's just an emotional issue for some of us now and the fact people are not respecting on lead laws means we either don't take our dogs out or risk a serious attack. I don't go to off lead parks any more at all but would like to be able to walk in peace in on lead areas. But those addicted to off leash (the link is in the thread, very funny :laugh: ) make it a stressful experience. Then when you say that you won't just stand there if your dog is attacked you are labelled hysterical and crazy.

No worries and thanks for explaining :) Yes, being labelled crazy would really p!ss me off.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Around here people let their dogs out after 5.30 as the know the rangers are finished for the day. They lock them back in at around 6 am before any of the rangers are back at work.

It's most frustrating.

I do not appreciate having off lead dogs come up to mine full stop. Experience has shown me there are more not friendly to aggressive than there are friendly.

I will soon be walking three Whippets, all on lead all under control. I expect the courteousy of others doing the same.

Luckily I live on acreage so it is not something I have to worry about often, but sometimes we all go in, the kids take their bikes and we go for a walk around. It should have to involve dodging dogs or defending my dogs and kids from them.

I've never seen a ranger where I live, only after my dog attack. You shouldn't have to spend your family walk ducking, diving and weaving around other people's off leash dogs but it seems to be a way of life for all of us these days. Being a dog owner for some is about no care taken and no responsibility accepted. We are all going to end up being policed to death with dog laws, where barking at the Metre reader man through a closed gate will be considered menacing, all because of the few messing it up for the rest of us.

I've asked these same questions and haven't really got a sensible answer from the off leash walkers, only a lot of clap trap about having a special bond with their dog. I don't get there need to do it either, I suspect the real reason doesn't sound as uplifting as the bonding claim and has more to do with looking cool and being super human, showing the world what a superior being they must be to have such control over their large pet, that they don't need to tie their dog to them. I've even been told repeatedly that an unleashed dog doesn't mean an uncontrolled dog, there's a highly irrational statement if ever there was one.

They don't even attempt to explain why they feel they are entitled to break the law. It's all very odd I've never come across a state of denial quite like it.

What bothers me is that if this forum is a cross section of our society, say if there are 10 posters at any one time and two of them haven't got a problem with walking there dog off leash, does that mean out in the real world that two out of every ten dog owners feel they are entitled to break the leash laws too. Scary idea I think.

If there wasn't value/benefit in walking your dog off lead then there wouldn't be any demand for off lead dog areas. Pretty sure I've even seen threads in this very forming asking for greater off lead areas. Just because you don't see value in it doesn't mean that others don't.