I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

I agree wholeheartedly, aware and alert beats the hell out of panic stricken.

I can not personally justify carrying a maglite or a stick or cattle prod no matter how many unfriendly dogs we've come across. It honestly stinks of all kinds of crazy to me and I really have to bow out of this ridiculous thread now. It's infuriating from both sides of the argument, you should not have your dogs ambling free off lead, there's not any real need, however if shit happens and my dog happened to say get out after a break in, or snap his collar or something else happen and some loony beat him or sprayed him I would be beyond furious and as much as you have a right to defend your own, so would I. And I would.

Friendly off lead dogs don't bother me in the slightest, but it's law as the majority are troublesome or less than controlled, but from the other side of the fence you really need to assess the situation at hand before losing your mind and whipping out a cattle prod. Perhaps if you really are considering arming yourself because walks in your neighborhood are so traumatic for you, it might be best to think about a dog treadmill or an acreage or something.

I really would be more concerned about some unauthorised person carrying a concealed weapon than a dog.

I agree that being on 'red alert' doesn't make things easier. But who knows what other people have been through or are going through so I can't blame them.

And now why do people who walk their dogs OFF-lead become all defensive and aggressive if someone hits their dog. THEY are the ones putting their dogs at risk. THEY are putting their dogs at risk of being hit by cars, attacked by another dog/ or a person or stolen even. I've seen a dog hit by a car. Blood and Guts everywhere, which also put the public at risk because it was a busy road.

As for "friendly" off-lead dogs. Not everyone appreciates them. One of my dogs I had didn't like ANY off-lead dogs rushing at us. There were times where dogs rushed us, but luckily I took swift action and avoided a fight. Some of these people's dogs could have been dead.

Now if people want to walk their dogs OFF-lead I think THEY should buy a treadmill or an acreage and not put the public at risk with their law defying behaviour.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point I'm making is shit happens, leashes aren't infallible and things can happen.

FWIW I'm an on-leash person. I'm not disagreeing. I just think arming yourself and being on high alert and panic stations is a really dangerous standpoint.

Yes accidents happens. But we don't need to go and drive on the wrong side of the road just because we're confident drivers. If people want to live on the "wild side" they should do so in their own little space and shouldn't be putting the public at risk.

Now I know people who've witnessed off-lead dogs tear up an on-lead dogs in front of it's owners. Guts flying everywhere. I've had many close calls myself. Little dogs rushing at us. My quick thinking has saved many off-lead dogs lives. So yes I do scan a head and I am aware of my surroundings. So I'd rather be aware then ignorant.

I can not personally justify carrying a maglite or a stick or cattle prod no matter how many unfriendly dogs we've come across. It honestly stinks of all kinds of crazy to me and I really have to bow out of this ridiculous thread now. It's infuriating from both sides of the argument, you should not have your dogs ambling free off lead, there's not any real need, however if shit happens and my dog happened to say get out after a break in, or snap his collar or something else happen and some loony beat him or sprayed him I would be beyond furious and as much as you have a right to defend your own, so would I. And I would.

Friendly off lead dogs don't bother me in the slightest, but it's law as the majority are troublesome or less than controlled, but from the other side of the fence you really need to assess the situation at hand before losing your mind and whipping out a cattle prod. Perhaps if you really are considering arming yourself because walks in your neighborhood are so traumatic for you, it might be best to think about a dog treadmill or an acreage or something.

I really would be more concerned about some unauthorised person carrying a concealed weapon than a dog.

Oh and I'll just leave this here too, from www.police.vic.gov.au

Dangerous Articles

Dangerous articles are any item which is either:

carried with the intention of being used as a weapon, or

adapted or modified so as to be capable of being used as a weapon.

Dangerous articles can include things that are otherwise lawful. For example, everyday tools, household items or sports equipment etc.

A person must not possess or carry dangerous articles in a public place without lawful excuse.

Lawful excuse includes:

a) the pursuit of any lawful employment, duty or activity

b) participation in any lawful sport, recreation or entertainment

c) the legitimate collection, display or exhibition of the article, and

d) the use of the article for the purpose for which it is designed or intended.

Lawful excuse does not include for the purpose of self-defence.

So what do you suggest us crazies do if a loose dog is attacking our dogs? Imagine I'm walking my 12 year shih tzu and some bigger dog rushes at us and grabs him and shakes him. What is the non-crazy thing to do in your opinion?

Yes do tell Steph, we are all ears. What would you do in that circumstance?

A concealed telescopic baton (If I can get my hands on one)would be my choice of weapon. Ill happily pay the fine. And since I'm a'crazy' the fine should be a reduced one. ;) ;) Oh and BTW for 12 yrs I lived on a small acreage. I had to fence in a large house paddock for my dogs. Had packs of the neighbourhood's dogs wondering through it looking to attack stock,native animals and my Border collies. Unfortunately there's no escaping idiot dog owners. :(

No escaping them, that appears to be true, mores the pity. Many years ago I had a farm behind my property, a neighbors dog got on to the farm and harrassed the sheep, the farmer followed the dog back to its house and shot it dead in its own back garden, and he got away with it too. Something to do with having farm stock attacked. We were all horrified that he followed the dog and shot it, but now I understand why he did it, now I have more experience of what dogs are capable of. That farmer knew the dog would be back now it had a taste for lambs.

BTW the owners of the dog had been warned several times and the farmer had made sure those warnings went on record at the council.

Edited by Trudy08

There is at least one member of this forum who feels my experiences with off leash dogs are really a symptom of me having some kind of "contributing factor" , perhaps over the last 50 years I've hallucinated every one if them. Razor is right if he thinks I'm mad, I'm actually bloody furious that doing something as simple as walking a dog can be made so unpleasant by the careless and the inconsiderate.

It's a phenomenon called 'blame the victim', Trudy. A scenario that lives in the head of the person who blames the victim.

There is at least one member of this forum who feels my experiences with off leash dogs are really a symptom of me having some kind of "contributing factor" , perhaps over the last 50 years I've hallucinated every one if them. Razor is right if he thinks I'm mad, I'm actually bloody furious that doing something as simple as walking a dog can be made so unpleasant by the careless and the inconsiderate.

It's a phenomenon called 'blame the victim', Trudy. A scenario that lives in the head of the person who blames the victim.

Yes I think you are right, the abundance of victims is very inconvenient to the members of the off leash culture, so trying to discredit them is their only defense.

Every time my dogs have been attacked, we were minding our own business and the attacking dog has gone out of its way to approach and attack mine. I know the difference between an aggressove dog and a friendly one, but I dont know if that friendly dog is going to become aggressive if one of mine barks or growls at it.

Totally and absolutely agree with this comment. I might add its usually bullies who are afflicted with this phenomenon. Keep fighting the good fight Trudy.

I really don't have a problem with people's dogs being off-lead, but as soon as that dog (whether big or small) starts running up to my dog with any kind of dominant stance, even if it's friendly (!?), the fun is lost on me. I like being able to have my dog off lead (yes, in off-lead areas) but if another dog comes into his flight zone and he's more than a few meters away (i.e. I've kept walking while he's sniffing something in the ground) he'll nick off and no amount of calling will entice him back to me (I'm obviously not his safe place frown.gif ) ...that's when I've got the problem with other dogs. I so wish that he wasn't such a scaredy cat!! And it's purely breedism on his side - if a border collie goes whizzing past he'll almost join them!! Any other dog - no way.

We're moving back to the farm so I probably won't get to practice, but out of interest, what has everyone done on a dog that just nicks off?

If it helps, I'm definitely his boss-dog...if I'm patting him and OH calls him he'll more or less ignore him, if we have friends over they can try to tell him to sit or drop and he'll completely ignore them but if I say it from the other side of the room he'll do it straight away and his recall is really good except when he's scared. (which is fair enough, I liken it to when a horse is bolting - it's just flight instinct)

Any ideas?

Edited by Scootaloo

It is not illegal to carry a big metal maglight, or a walking pole or a golf umbrella. We are lucky we have quite a lot of leash free areas to choose from if we wish. I had to walk my girl after her hip surgery as part of her rehab. I only walked her round our area twice, it was frankly terrifying, and I was scared she would injure herself further , so many loose or unleashed dogs. I had not really noticed before. I too would do whatever it took to defend my dogs and make no apologies for it. Just obey the bloody law - so simple.

It was my open golf umbrella that saved me and my dog when we got attacked, thank God it was raining that day or I wouldn't have had it with me, its the reason I didn't get bitten, the dogs bit the umbrella instead. :eek: I can imagine how scary it would be to navigate around off leash dogs with your dog not 100% fit. :(

I've had a ball come past me out of nowhere and a Dobermann fly past after it in a suburban walkway. After a few more ball tosses I politely informed the owner that my rotator cuff muscles didn't need any further work out from my dogs lunging after the ball. No doubt I was 'hysterical'.

Oh yes we mustn't be hysterical that would be awful. I hate becoming that woman in the park who objects to off leash dogs getting in my space but I'll keep objecting until the owners get a grip on their pets. I'm aware they love their dogs but I don't need to be knocked over by their darling and then get a cursory "Oh sorry he was only playing". :mad

I congratulate you on your crusade. Your problem is that you fail to understand that and off lead dog does not automatically result in an out of control dog.

Every second post from you is you regaling us with a terrifying story where you have been rushed/attacked/mauled by and out if control dog. These dogs and owners have not been in control, have not been acting responsibly or with consideration.

At no point have I said this behaviour is ok. It's getting to the point now where these things seem to be happening with such intensity and frequency to you, coupled with the fact that your experience is so extremely different to mine and many other dog owners I know, that I'm starting to think maybe you have some other contributing factors.

That is great that your dog is so obedient, Razorblade. Dogs have their own minds though and regardless of training can forget themselves sometimes. Has your dog ever moved from your side or gone to sniff another dog or completely disobeyed you? I bet you will say no but at least be honest with yourself and stick to leash free areas if that is how you choose to walk your dog.

Edited by corrie

Totally and absolutely agree with this comment. I might add its usually bullies who are afflicted with this phenomenon. Keep fighting the good fight Trudy.

Thanks everyone for your support. I generally come across two types of off leash dog walkers, the ones with the excitable dogs are the bullies, they seem to be very defensive if anyone objects to their dog getting up close and personal, it's like they've come out to get in a fight, and having their dog off leash works for them every time, they have this superior attitude that shouts "I've got a big dog be careful what you say to me". Then there's the other type who walk passed with their dog like a shadow that doesn't look left or right, those I like, however both types are doing something illegal which may one day be also classed as menacing. Bullies are angry at the world and want to pass on their pain to anyone they come across who seems weaker than them.

Every time my dogs have been attacked, we were minding our own business and the attacking dog has gone out of its way to approach and attack mine. I know the difference between an aggressove dog and a friendly one, but I dont know if that friendly dog is going to become aggressive if one of mine barks or growls at it.

It makes life so much easier if all the dogs are on leashes. If its an off leash area, then all bets are off, the enter at your own risk rule applies but in an on leash area we shouldn't have to worry about an loose dog appearing.

The point I'm making is shit happens, leashes aren't infallible and things can happen.

FWIW I'm an on-leash person. I'm not disagreeing. I just think arming yourself and being on high alert and panic stations is a really dangerous standpoint.

Yes accidents happens. But we don't need to go and drive on the wrong side of the road just because we're confident drivers. If people want to live on the "wild side" they should do so in their own little space and shouldn't be putting the public at risk.

Now I know people who've witnessed off-lead dogs tear up an on-lead dogs in front of it's owners. Guts flying everywhere. I've had many close calls myself. Little dogs rushing at us. My quick thinking has saved many off-lead dogs lives. So yes I do scan a head and I am aware of my surroundings. So I'd rather be aware then ignorant.

Dangerous Articles

Dangerous articles can include things that are otherwise lawful. For example, everyday tools, household items or sports equipment etc.

A person must not possess or carry dangerous articles in a public place without lawful excuse.

Lawful excuse includes:

So what do you suggest us crazies do if a loose dog is attacking our dogs? Imagine I'm walking my 12 year shih tzu and some bigger dog rushes at us and grabs him and shakes him. What is the non-crazy thing to do in your opinion?

A concealed telescopic baton (If I can get my hands on one)would be my choice of weapon. Ill happily pay the fine. And since I'm a'crazy' the fine should be a reduced one. ;) ;) Oh and BTW for 12 yrs I lived on a small acreage. I had to fence in a large house paddock for my dogs. Had packs of the neighbourhood's dogs wondering through it looking to attack stock,native animals and my Border collies. Unfortunately there's no escaping idiot dog owners. :(

No escaping them, that appears to be true, mores the pity. Many years ago I had a farm behind my property, a neighbors dog got on to the farm and harrassed the sheep, the farmer followed the dog back to its house and shot it dead in its own back garden, and he got away with it too. Something to do with having farm stock attacked. We were all horrified that he followed the dog and shot it, but now I understand why he did it, now I have more experience of what dogs are capable of. That farmer knew the dog would be back now it had a taste for lambs.

BTW the owners of the dog had been warned several times and the farmer had made sure those warnings went on record at the council.

How has this got anything to do with a person who takes their dog for a walk and doesn't leash it every second of the walk?

It is not illegal to carry a big metal maglight, or a walking pole or a golf umbrella. We are lucky we have quite a lot of leash free areas to choose from if we wish. I had to walk my girl after her hip surgery as part of her rehab. I only walked her round our area twice, it was frankly terrifying, and I was scared she would injure herself further , so many loose or unleashed dogs. I had not really noticed before. I too would do whatever it took to defend my dogs and make no apologies for it. Just obey the bloody law - so simple.

It was my open golf umbrella that saved me and my dog when we got attacked, thank God it was raining that day or I wouldn't have had it with me, its the reason I didn't get bitten, the dogs bit the umbrella instead. :eek: I can imagine how scary it would be to navigate around off leash dogs with your dog not 100% fit. :(

I've had a ball come past me out of nowhere and a Dobermann fly past after it in a suburban walkway. After a few more ball tosses I politely informed the owner that my rotator cuff muscles didn't need any further work out from my dogs lunging after the ball. No doubt I was 'hysterical'.

Oh yes we mustn't be hysterical that would be awful. I hate becoming that woman in the park who objects to off leash dogs getting in my space but I'll keep objecting until the owners get a grip on their pets. I'm aware they love their dogs but I don't need to be knocked over by their darling and then get a cursory "Oh sorry he was only playing". :mad

I congratulate you on your crusade. Your problem is that you fail to understand that and off lead dog does not automatically result in an out of control dog.

Every second post from you is you regaling us with a terrifying story where you have been rushed/attacked/mauled by and out if control dog. These dogs and owners have not been in control, have not been acting responsibly or with consideration.

At no point have I said this behaviour is ok. It's getting to the point now where these things seem to be happening with such intensity and frequency to you, coupled with the fact that your experience is so extremely different to mine and many other dog owners I know, that I'm starting to think maybe you have some other contributing factors.

That is great that your dog is so obedient, Razorblade. Dogs have their own minds though and regardless of training can forget themselves sometimes. Has your dog ever moved from your side or gone to sniff another dog or completely disobeyed you? I bet you will say no but at least be honest with yourself and stick to leash free areas if that is how you choose to walk your dog.

Of course he doesn't stay 100% at heel 100% of the time. He likes to explore. But in considerate enough to call him back or put him into a drop when I see other people.

Thanks everyone for your support. I generally come across two types of off leash dog walkers, the ones with the excitable dogs are the bullies, they seem to be very defensive if anyone objects to their dog getting up close and personal, it's like they've come out to get in a fight, and having their dog off leash works for them every time, they have this superior attitude that shouts "I've got a big dog be careful what you say to me". Then there's the other type who walk passed with their dog like a shadow that doesn't look left or right, those I like, however both types are doing something illegal which may one day be also classed as menacing. Bullies are angry at the world and want to pass on their pain to anyone they come across who seems weaker than them.

You love a stereotype don't you.

Dangerous Articles

Lawful excuse includes:

How has this got anything to do with a person who takes their dog for a walk and doesn't leash it every second of the walk?

I was answering Bozzie's part of this thread on farm stock being attacked, heres the quote "Had packs of the neighbourhood's dogs wondering through it looking to attack stock,native animals and my Border collies". Try to keep up with the story Razor.

You love a stereotype don't you.

and you love to make inane comments don't you :smartiepants: Shows you are reading my posts though, did you know everything you read cannot be unread, be careful I'm worming my way into your brain and you know I'm crazy. :crazy::cheer:

Dangerous Articles

Lawful excuse includes:

I was answering Bozzie's part of this thread on farm stock being attacked, heres the quote "Had packs of the neighbourhood's dogs wondering through it looking to attack stock,native animals and my Border collies". Try to keep up with the story Razor.

And how has that got anything to do with a person who takes their dog for a walk and doesn't leash it every second of the walk?

Dangerous Articles

Lawful excuse includes:

I guess we're supposed to just stand there and watch our dogs get ripped to pieces. We'd be hysterical and crazy otherwise after all.....

Dangerous Articles

Lawful excuse includes:

I guess we're supposed to just stand there and watch our dogs get ripped to pieces. We'd be hysterical and crazy otherwise after all.....

Well there doesn't seem to be any way to protect ourselves legally, so we'll have to improvise, just go for it, if you are being attacked you can do whatever you need to protect yourself. Self defence is still legal. I used a golf umbrella enthusiastically, I must have looked like a crazy Mary Poppins and no one even mentioned charging me with anything. Its not illegal to carry an umbrella or a walking stick.