I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

I've only been rushed by off leash dogs twice in the last 21 years.

The first being in the suburbs as I was walking my two huskies on leash. We were crossing a bridge and two off leash GSD's rushed my boy [ignored my girl]. I stood in front of both my dogs to shield them, but the GSD's went in behind me. As they starting munging on my boy he lost his footing and fell over the edge of the bridge :( He was hanging by his leash on a check chain and I didn't let go of him [as it was an over 3 meter drop on to jagged rocks below]. So fighting the two dogs off, making sure they didn't go for my girl and holding onto the leash of my boy I was in a bit of a pickle [heh I was only 17 at the time]. The bloke who owned the other dogs came racing over and leashed his two and ran off. Didn't help me at all to pull up my boy [who by this time was being strangled and writhing at the end of the leash]. Don't know where I got my strength from, but managed to pull him up using one arm. Just fell in a heap afterwards hugging my boy, my girl just sat next to me licking me. Got us all home eventually, had the boy checked out by a vet after and he was fine, just bruised and sore around his neck.

The second time wasn't as bad, just a cattle dog rushed out from a front yard when I was out walking my other Boxer [who's since passed on] and bit him around his back end. I was shielding his head. Spoke to a woman that was out the front and said what'd happened, she just shrugged her shoulders and went inside. Didn't get a sorry or anything, so rang the council. Heh owner got slapped with many fines that day as he'd been quite rude to the council guy. But also helped knowing where the dog had come from :)

Leashes and proper gates make such a difference :D

The other owners not helping seems to be a bit of a theme. The owners of the dog that attacked me and my dog left me laying on the frigging nature strip and walked back into their house. I think that upset me the most.

Bloody hell here was me thinking I was the only person that got no help at all, this seems to be the same story being told. What the hells wrong with these people, what happened to basic human kindness. If this ever happens again ring the police, don't hesitate, you were assaulted you will have a case.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first being in the suburbs as I was walking my two huskies on leash. We were crossing a bridge and two off leash GSD's rushed my boy [ignored my girl]. I stood in front of both my dogs to shield them, but the GSD's went in behind me. As they starting munging on my boy he lost his footing and fell over the edge of the bridge :( He was hanging by his leash on a check chain and I didn't let go of him [as it was an over 3 meter drop on to jagged rocks below]. So fighting the two dogs off, making sure they didn't go for my girl and holding onto the leash of my boy I was in a bit of a pickle [heh I was only 17 at the time]. The bloke who owned the other dogs came racing over and leashed his two and ran off. Didn't help me at all to pull up my boy [who by this time was being strangled and writhing at the end of the leash]. Don't know where I got my strength from, but managed to pull him up using one arm. Just fell in a heap afterwards hugging my boy, my girl just sat next to me licking me. Got us all home eventually, had the boy checked out by a vet after and he was fine, just bruised and sore around his neck.

The second time wasn't as bad, just a cattle dog rushed out from a front yard when I was out walking my other Boxer [who's since passed on] and bit him around his back end. I was shielding his head. Spoke to a woman that was out the front and said what'd happened, she just shrugged her shoulders and went inside. Didn't get a sorry or anything, so rang the council. Heh owner got slapped with many fines that day as he'd been quite rude to the council guy. But also helped knowing where the dog had come from :)

The other owners not helping seems to be a bit of a theme. The owners of the dog that attacked me and my dog left me laying on the frigging nature strip and walked back into their house. I think that upset me the most.

Bloody hell here was me thinking I was the only person that got no help at all, this seems to be the same story being told. What the hells wrong with these people, what happened to basic human kindness. If this ever happens again ring the police, don't hesitate, you were assaulted you will have a case.

I rang the rangers actually.

I think the people are mainly embarrassed and want to get the hell away.

Back in my fit days I used to run around a local hilly block. A house at the bottom of the hill had a lab who was always free to wander at will and he would often come out and run with me around the block. I know he followed other people too and the owners were well aware of him doing it.

He was a sweet dog but it became exhausting keeping him off the road and monitoring what he was doing. It was also embarrassing when others were coming toward me with their dogs on lead, I felt like the most irresponsible owner.

One day he literally ran a plumber off the road and that morning I stood in his owners yard tapping on their window at 5.30am until someone came out. I was so angry I can barely remember what I said but it was something along the lines of how would you feel if your dog was hit by a car or killed someone who served to avoid hitting him? Stop being a lazy owner letting other people walk your dog and keep him inside your own yard. I've never spoken to anyone like that in my life but she said sorry and he was behind their gate from that point on. Probably totally un-exercised, but at least alive!

Good on you for getting the Labs owners to face up to their responsibilities, sometimes it just needs someone to have a word, so many don't though, I used to be one of them. :(

I had an Am Staff type dog attach himself to us on our walk once, he walked at heel next to me and was a perfect gentleman, I was scared to death but managed not to show it (this was in my pre attack days), I got berated by another walker with her dog on a lead for not having him leashed, I said in a low voice "He's not my dog, please don't shout". I don't think she believed me. When I got to my drive I said "Good boy Go home" and off he trotted and I got in my house quick sharp. I've since found out he attached himself to many walkers but a braver person than me leashed him and called the council. I hope he didn't get PTS. :(

I rang the rangers actually.

I think the people are mainly embarrassed and want to get the hell away.

Still leaving you lying on the nature strip is a shameful thing to do to anyone. Glad you rang the ranger. :)

...after 27 odd posts on this thread today Trudy08 I think we all understand your position.

Well I'm glad I've got through and made myself understood, I'm not the only one on this thread who feels the same way. But thanks for keeping count. : )

Hey Trudy, Thank you for making the effort to reply to everyone. Its clear that some people have never been in the position we have been. Its also clear that some younger, stronger people don't have the fear us more 'mature' less strong people have. The feeling of helplessness is truly debilitating . I spent 2 hours giving a statement to a council ranger last week. She told me to always carry a large stick as dog attacks will never stop. Some of the stories she told me were truly horrific. Shealso had a little dog herself who had been badly mauled. It never seems to stop. The only good news she had was that since desexing of pet shop puppies had been made compulsory in our area a few years ago , less strays were roaming the streets . Less strays mean less attacks so at least thats a bit of good news. :)

Truly terrifying Noishe. Its amazing how much strength you have when the adrenaline kicks in. Glad your boy was okay. I just cant believe people can be so horrible as to walk away. Well I can, as it happens all too often. :(

It is not illegal to carry a big metal maglight, or a walking pole or a golf umbrella. We are lucky we have quite a lot of leash free areas to choose from if we wish. I had to walk my girl after her hip surgery as part of her rehab. I only walked her round our area twice, it was frankly terrifying, and I was scared she would injure herself further , so many loose or unleashed dogs. I had not really noticed before. I too would do whatever it took to defend my dogs and make no apologies for it. Just obey the bloody law - so simple.

It was my open golf umbrella that saved me and my dog when we got attacked, thank God it was raining that day or I wouldn't have had it with me, its the reason I didn't get bitten, the dogs bit the umbrella instead. :eek: I can imagine how scary it would be to navigate around off leash dogs with your dog not 100% fit. :(

I've had a ball come past me out of nowhere and a Dobermann fly past after it in a suburban walkway. After a few more ball tosses I politely informed the owner that my rotator cuff muscles didn't need any further work out from my dogs lunging after the ball. No doubt I was 'hysterical'.

...after 27 odd posts on this thread today Trudy08 I think we all understand your position.

Well I'm glad I've got through and made myself understood, I'm not the only one on this thread who feels the same way. But thanks for keeping count. : )

Hey Trudy, Thank you for making the effort to reply to everyone. Its clear that some people have never been in the position we have been. Its also clear that some younger, stronger people don't have the fear us more 'mature' less strong people have. The feeling of helplessness is truly debilitating . I spent 2 hours giving a statement to a council ranger last week. She told me to always carry a large stick as dog attacks will never stop. Some of the stories she told me were truly horrific. Shealso had a little dog herself who had been badly mauled. It never seems to stop. The only good news she had was that since desexing of pet shop puppies had been made compulsory in our area a few years ago , less strays were roaming the streets . Less strays mean less attacks so at least thats a bit of good news. :)

I'm sure a couple of people on this forum think I'm on a crusade and they are dead right. The few that have been howled down for defending the off leash culture don't like being told that they are living in a democracy and the rest of us don't like what they are doing. If something I say makes someone use a leash or fix that broken fence that will be great, even if they never breath a word to a soul of why they took those steps. I'd rather speak than stay silent and just hope things change, for things to stay the same all we have to do is nothing.

I had a lengthy interview with the animal control lady, she told me roughly the same things you were, it's scary when you realize the attacks we had are more common than we ever imagined. She told me not to go to off leash areas, then she hesitated and said "Look just don't walk your little dog, there are too many big dogs out there who have not been socialized to small dogs, they see them as prey" turned out her little dog had been killed in front of her. She said take a stick if you must walk and use it, no court will have a problem with someone defending themselves while under attack by off leash dogs, there would be a huge media backlash if they tried.

She also said that a lot of larger breeds were attacked, guide dogs for instance, or just larger dogs being walked on leash becoming targets for off leash dogs. She thought it was because some owners of the larger breeds seem to have no concept of how dangerous their dog could be and the damage it can inflict.

People have to view their dogs realistically, see them for what they are, a predator, be aware that there lovely temperament can change on a dime, keep them leashed and in secure yards and we'll all be happier. :)

It is not illegal to carry a big metal maglight, or a walking pole or a golf umbrella. We are lucky we have quite a lot of leash free areas to choose from if we wish. I had to walk my girl after her hip surgery as part of her rehab. I only walked her round our area twice, it was frankly terrifying, and I was scared she would injure herself further , so many loose or unleashed dogs. I had not really noticed before. I too would do whatever it took to defend my dogs and make no apologies for it. Just obey the bloody law - so simple.

It was my open golf umbrella that saved me and my dog when we got attacked, thank God it was raining that day or I wouldn't have had it with me, its the reason I didn't get bitten, the dogs bit the umbrella instead. :eek: I can imagine how scary it would be to navigate around off leash dogs with your dog not 100% fit. :(

I've had a ball come past me out of nowhere and a Dobermann fly past after it in a suburban walkway. After a few more ball tosses I politely informed the owner that my rotator cuff muscles didn't need any further work out from my dogs lunging after the ball. No doubt I was 'hysterical'.

Oh yes we mustn't be hysterical that would be awful. I hate becoming that woman in the park who objects to off leash dogs getting in my space but I'll keep objecting until the owners get a grip on their pets. I'm aware they love their dogs but I don't need to be knocked over by their darling and then get a cursory "Oh sorry he was only playing". :mad

Some people are obviously lucky enough to have never had their dogs attacked MULTIPLE TIMES. I have seven dogs at home at the moment so I walk mutiples. How do you suppose I 'just pick up' my THREE small dogs? Or just protect my TWO OR THREE medium-large dogs? I dont care if the dog is friendly, mine hate other dogs rushing at them. I now walk with a stick and will use it if another dog threatens us.

Oh yes we mustn't be hysterical that would be awful. I hate becoming that woman in the park who objects to off leash dogs getting in my space but I'll keep objecting until the owners get a grip on their pets. I'm aware they love their dogs but I don't need to be knocked over by their darling and then get a cursory "Oh sorry he was only playing". :mad

I congratulate you on your crusade. Your problem is that you fail to understand that and off lead dog does not automatically result in an out of control dog.

Every second post from you is you regaling us with a terrifying story where you have been rushed/attacked/mauled by and out if control dog. These dogs and owners have not been in control, have not been acting responsibly or with consideration.

At no point have I said this behaviour is ok. It's getting to the point now where these things seem to be happening with such intensity and frequency to you, coupled with the fact that your experience is so extremely different to mine and many other dog owners I know, that I'm starting to think maybe you have some other contributing factors.

The point I'm making is shit happens, leashes aren't infallible and things can happen.

FWIW I'm an on-leash person. I'm not disagreeing. I just think arming yourself and being on high alert and panic stations is a really dangerous standpoint.

Yes accidents happens. But we don't need to go and drive on the wrong side of the road just because we're confident drivers. If people want to live on the "wild side" they should do so in their own little space and shouldn't be putting the public at risk.

Now I know people who've witnessed off-lead dogs tear up an on-lead dogs in front of it's owners. Guts flying everywhere. I've had many close calls myself. Little dogs rushing at us. My quick thinking has saved many off-lead dogs lives. So yes I do scan a head and I am aware of my surroundings. So I'd rather be aware then ignorant.

I agree wholeheartedly, aware and alert beats the hell out of panic stricken.

I can not personally justify carrying a maglite or a stick or cattle prod no matter how many unfriendly dogs we've come across. It honestly stinks of all kinds of crazy to me and I really have to bow out of this ridiculous thread now. It's infuriating from both sides of the argument, you should not have your dogs ambling free off lead, there's not any real need, however if shit happens and my dog happened to say get out after a break in, or snap his collar or something else happen and some loony beat him or sprayed him I would be beyond furious and as much as you have a right to defend your own, so would I. And I would.

Friendly off lead dogs don't bother me in the slightest, but it's law as the majority are troublesome or less than controlled, but from the other side of the fence you really need to assess the situation at hand before losing your mind and whipping out a cattle prod. Perhaps if you really are considering arming yourself because walks in your neighborhood are so traumatic for you, it might be best to think about a dog treadmill or an acreage or something.

I really would be more concerned about some unauthorised person carrying a concealed weapon than a dog.

Oh and I'll just leave this here too, from www.police.vic.gov.au

Dangerous Articles

Dangerous articles are any item which is either:

carried with the intention of being used as a weapon, or

adapted or modified so as to be capable of being used as a weapon.

Dangerous articles can include things that are otherwise lawful. For example, everyday tools, household items or sports equipment etc.

A person must not possess or carry dangerous articles in a public place without lawful excuse.

Lawful excuse includes:

a) the pursuit of any lawful employment, duty or activity

b) participation in any lawful sport, recreation or entertainment

c) the legitimate collection, display or exhibition of the article, and

d) the use of the article for the purpose for which it is designed or intended.

Lawful excuse does not include for the purpose of self-defence.

So what do you suggest us crazies do if a loose dog is attacking our dogs? Imagine I'm walking my 12 year shih tzu and some bigger dog rushes at us and grabs him and shakes him. What is the non-crazy thing to do in your opinion?

Some people are obviously lucky enough to have never had their dogs attacked MULTIPLE TIMES. I have seven dogs at home at the moment so I walk mutiples. How do you suppose I 'just pick up' my THREE small dogs? Or just protect my TWO OR THREE medium-large dogs? I dont care if the dog is friendly, mine hate other dogs rushing at them. I now walk with a stick and will use it if another dog threatens us.

Perhaps for those people it's the area they live in, fewer off lead dogs and so fewer issues.

I now walk in open areas only where I can see approaching dogs and have the opportunity to change direction if needed. Most of the time I can avoid the friendly or curious off lead dogs by doing this, but I've still had a few bad experiences where a dog has charged from a distance. One time I had Annie and Maxie, I saw an off lead staffy at a distance start running towards us, and it was moving so fast it was only seconds before it hit us - I had just picked up Annie in one arm when it landed on top of Maxie at full force. I was yelling at the owner (who was doing nothing) to get his dog, and trying to get the dog off Maxie whilst holding Annie in my other arm, and every time I managed to get it off it went for Maxie again. I finally managed to get the staffy off and held it back by the collar long enough for the owner to grab it. There were other people around but nobody did anything to help.

Other times I have used fences as barriers when I have seen a dog charge from a distance. I did this once with Kayla when a staffy cross went for her - I went though a gate and quickly shut it behind me, and the dog hit the fence instead of her. Another time with Annie and Maxie, I saw two staffy crosses charging from a distance and just had time to get into a small fenced area and shut the gate. The two dogs were in prey drive and continued to circle until the owner finally got them away.

So I think walking in open areas does help (most of the time) because it can give you a few seconds leeway.

And for the doubters...a lot of people in this thread, who have said they have issues with off lead dogs, are pretty experienced dog people and would be fully aware of the difference between a friendly and not so friendly approaching dog.

I congratulate you on your crusade. Your problem is that you fail to understand that and off lead dog does not automatically result in an out of control dog.

Every second post from you is you regaling us with a terrifying story where you have been rushed/attacked/mauled by and out if control dog. These dogs and owners have not been in control, have not been acting responsibly or with consideration.

At no point have I said this behaviour is ok. It's getting to the point now where these things seem to be happening with such intensity and frequency to you, coupled with the fact that your experience is so extremely different to mine and many other dog owners I know, that I'm starting to think maybe you have some other contributing factors.

Well your problem is that you like to point out other peoples problems and ignore your own.

I suppose everyone else on this forum who has been attacked are making it up or are completely mad. The fact you strut around with a large off leash dog would put a lot of other dogs off going near you or perhaps you live in a gated community, I've no idea why you haven't been harassed or attacked, as I don't know you anymore than you know me, I can't even make an educated guess as to why you walk around in a protective bubble and I don't. The fact I am probably 20 or more years older than you may have something to do with my larger amount of experiences which stem back to when I was a child in the 60's.

I was attacked by two off leash dogs on the nature strip outside my house, which will be a matter of public record somewhere, I have been rushed many times by large dogs some who have made contact with me and some who haven't. I have never actually been bitten more from good luck than anything else. The area I live in is semi rural many people have several dogs on their large properties, some used for hunting, as were the ones who attacked us. I don't care whether you believe that or not.

If you really seriously think that an off leash dog is as under as much control as an on leash dog, then you are the one who is delusional.

The point I'm making is shit happens, leashes aren't infallible and things can happen.

FWIW I'm an on-leash person. I'm not disagreeing. I just think arming yourself and being on high alert and panic stations is a really dangerous standpoint.

Yes accidents happens. But we don't need to go and drive on the wrong side of the road just because we're confident drivers. If people want to live on the "wild side" they should do so in their own little space and shouldn't be putting the public at risk.

Now I know people who've witnessed off-lead dogs tear up an on-lead dogs in front of it's owners. Guts flying everywhere. I've had many close calls myself. Little dogs rushing at us. My quick thinking has saved many off-lead dogs lives. So yes I do scan a head and I am aware of my surroundings. So I'd rather be aware then ignorant.

I can not personally justify carrying a maglite or a stick or cattle prod no matter how many unfriendly dogs we've come across. It honestly stinks of all kinds of crazy to me and I really have to bow out of this ridiculous thread now. It's infuriating from both sides of the argument, you should not have your dogs ambling free off lead, there's not any real need, however if shit happens and my dog happened to say get out after a break in, or snap his collar or something else happen and some loony beat him or sprayed him I would be beyond furious and as much as you have a right to defend your own, so would I. And I would.

Friendly off lead dogs don't bother me in the slightest, but it's law as the majority are troublesome or less than controlled, but from the other side of the fence you really need to assess the situation at hand before losing your mind and whipping out a cattle prod. Perhaps if you really are considering arming yourself because walks in your neighborhood are so traumatic for you, it might be best to think about a dog treadmill or an acreage or something.

I really would be more concerned about some unauthorised person carrying a concealed weapon than a dog.

Dangerous Articles

Dangerous articles can include things that are otherwise lawful. For example, everyday tools, household items or sports equipment etc.

A person must not possess or carry dangerous articles in a public place without lawful excuse.

Lawful excuse includes:

So what do you suggest us crazies do if a loose dog is attacking our dogs? Imagine I'm walking my 12 year shih tzu and some bigger dog rushes at us and grabs him and shakes him. What is the non-crazy thing to do in your opinion?

Yes do tell Steph, we are all ears. What would you do in that circumstance?

There is at least one member of this forum who feels my experiences with off leash dogs are really a symptom of me having some kind of "contributing factor" , perhaps over the last 50 years I've hallucinated every one if them. Razor is right if he thinks I'm mad, I'm actually bloody furious that doing something as simple as walking a dog can be made so unpleasant by the careless and the inconsiderate. Sounds like you feel the same way.

Its probably been mentioned before but has anyone got any ifo on these? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321207774289&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:AU:1123 (hope this link works!)

Yes Bozzie, I've got one of these, it didn't fill me with confidence or have much of an affect on any dog. I may not have given it a fair trial however. The spray I use (I do not own the company) gives me more confidence, which makes my body language look a bit more formidable too.

Dangerous Articles

Lawful excuse includes:

Yes do tell Steph, we are all ears. What would you do in that circumstance?

A concealed telescopic baton (If I can get my hands on one)would be my choice of weapon. Ill happily pay the fine. And since I'm a'crazy' the fine should be a reduced one. ;) ;) Oh and BTW for 12 yrs I lived on a small acreage. I had to fence in a large house paddock for my dogs. Had packs of the neighbourhood's dogs wondering through it looking to attack stock,native animals and my Border collies. Unfortunately there's no escaping idiot dog owners. :( Yep! I'm a special kind of 'crazy' when my dogs and small child are under attack!!

Edited by bozzieUD