Advice Please (please Be Kind)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, feeling a little nervous. She's so little :(

Pretty sure my dogs love the vets more than they love me ... they are about 10x more hyperactive than usual when we go to the vet which makes it interesting holding on to 2 of them with a recently healed broken wrist lol. So much for the obedience work we did last night!

PS am I the only one that takes both my dogs to the vet whenever one of them has to go? Juno has being staying home alone a couple of hours the last couple of weeks while Hunter goes to obedience but other than that they haven't been seperated. I'm not sure how Hunter would go all day by himself.

Thanks guys, feeling a little nervous. She's so little :(

Pretty sure my dogs love the vets more than they love me ... they are about 10x more hyperactive than usual when we go to the vet which makes it interesting holding on to 2 of them with a recently healed broken wrist lol. So much for the obedience work we did last night!

PS am I the only one that takes both my dogs to the vet whenever one of them has to go? Juno has being staying home alone a couple of hours the last couple of weeks while Hunter goes to obedience but other than that they haven't been seperated. I'm not sure how Hunter would go all day by himself.

Good luck with the Operation today :)

The bolded bit: do you mean you are just worried he'd be a bit lonely, or do you think he would actually get quite stressed?

If you think, or know, he would get quite stressed, I would gently advise you to work on it. It's not really healthy for dogs to not be able to cope without their other doggie partner.

For times exactly like today, where one will be at the vet, you need the other to be able to cope :)

Dogs like this also suffer badly if the other one passes away.

I would recommend that you start with short periods of time where he is separate from Juno. Just a few minutes with a nice chew maybe. Then as he gains confidence build it up to longer amounts of time :)

My two regularly spend about half a day separate from each other. And I rarely take both of them out together, as I want them to learn and know that everything is still ok, even if they're on their own :)

I would definitely recommend taking them on outings separately. Separation anxiety in a dog that never learns to be on his own for reasonable periods can end up in fibro walls being completely destroyed, doors eaten in an attempt to get out and the damage a panicking dog can do to itself is not pretty either.

I think he would be quite anxious ... he really is a big softie. Juno seems to have been doing well when we take Hunter to obedience, but she is naturally much more independent than him to start with. I was most worried that he would decide to go looking for her, or spend all day barking and get reported :( . I don't think there is any way for him to get out of the yard, but then he has never been determined to try before either.

I do plan on separating them more often and leaving Hunter at home instead of Juno... I thought a whole day might have been a bit much for the first time.

It could also be that I am just mollycoddling him and he would be perfectly fine of course :laugh:

I think if he has never really been home alone before (without Juno) and you don't know whether he'd be cool with that, then it is a good idea not to jump in the deep end with a whole day by himself.

It is always better to take action to prevent a problem than to fix one!

Definitely start with little baby steps on a program where both dogs get used to being alone.

Just make it part of your routine and start with a period of time that you know they'll be ok with... Even if it's just one minute! You can build up from there :)

ETA: oh and you can make it a bit predictable for him.

So each time you do it, you might say "Ok Hunter, time for some alone time" and take him out the back. You may want to give him a chew. Then no fuss just go back inside. Don't make it dramatic or complicated or anything, just matter of fact.

Edited by raineth

goo d tips thank you .. I think if I gave him a bone to chew on he would never even notice she was gone haha

Typical boy! haha!

But in reality that is a really good sign! As some dogs are so stressed at being alone that they would not even be distracted by something like a bone.

goo d tips thank you .. I think if I gave him a bone to chew on he would never even notice she was gone haha

My previous dogs used to get a yummy bone whenever I went to work - they hated the holidays :rofl: .

But yes - totally agree about leaving him with something special that will take a while to get through - bone, or frozen Kong in summer.

Hope all goes well with Juno today. And just want to say well done to you and the BF for staying focussed on what is best for your gorgeous girl. :thumbsup:

should definitely try the frozen king idea... both pups think they are getting very special treats when you give them a plain old ice cube :laugh:

Just checked with the vet and apparently everything went well with Juno during the op. I took the option of IV fluids so hopefully this will increase the speed of her recovery!

Can't wait to pick her up this afternoon... I wonder if she will be in a clown collar? poor little girl haha

Oh that's good news. It's always hard to know what they'll be like - different dogs react differently to the anaesthetic and surgery - check if she's been given a painkilling injection like metacam - some vets routinely give that after desexing.

You probably don't want to know that years ago when my feral agility girl was desexed the same day as my boy I had then (7 and 9 months respectively) - not only did they bounce back really well, but the very next day, they both escaped through quite a small hole in the fence to go 100 metres down the internal road to the street (thankfully not a through street then) where they'd heard some kids playing cricket. :eek: I was really lucky in that the kids were dog savvy, went home and got leads for them, then their mum called the phone number of the vet - was on their collars tags. Not all vets routinely use the 'clown collars' - depends on whether the dog is leaving stitches alone.

Enjoy having her back home again :D

ETF typo

Edited by Tassie

Juno seems to be doing very well this morning... almost seemed like her normal self. She is confined in the laundry today so we doesn't run around like a loon all day. We had a collar on her originally, although the vet said she didn't think it was really necessary ... Juno kept dragging it along the ground as she was walking because she was still dopey and waling with her head held low :o Stitches looked good this morning.

I hope your pug did well Andisa?

yes when we are home she will be with us for sure... don't think I could convince my boss to let me bring her to work :( It seems likeHunter is the one we have to watch with the licking...Juno hasn't shown any interest in messing with the stitches at all yet. Give her time I suppose :laugh: