Monarto & Adelaide Zoo

piper

Wow piper, your cheetah photos are stunning! I have to do one of the members' breakfasts sometime, it sounds great.

Yes it was. I wanted to do the Lion 1 they have in 2 weeks time but it was for my husbands birthday and he also has Clipsal tickets and the Lion 1 is the same weekend. I will definitely be looking to do others. They said the chimp 1 is great as well as you get to go around to the night quarters and everything. Breakfast gets served on the viewing platform after they are released.

eta: They feed you well too. We didn't even bother with lunch. Breakfast was champagne and orang juice, fresh fruit salad, muesli, 2 or 3 types of yoghurt to choose from and then after that a hot cooked breakfast with sausages, bacon, has browns, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and baked beans.

Edited by piper

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Adelaide Zoo has some new additions. We went in today to see the new white cheek gibbon baby and were surprised by these right near the main entrance:

13910684906_84c5d2bd86.jpg

Capybara are the largest rodents. These little guys were born this morning. Hard to believe by looking at them that they were less than 12 hours old in these photos. They are very mobile and have eyes open already.

The new gibbon baby is about 5 days old. Apparently they are critically endangered and there are also not many in captivity. This is the third gibbon bred at Adelaide Zoo in 130 years. The second 1 - Nhu is about 3 years old and still there and very interested in the new addition. We spent ages watching and hoping Mum would bring her new addition down from the out of the tree tops to give us a good view.

13934264134_6d8436629d.jpg

13910696171_235089a1ef.jpg

It is amazing the way they cling on:

13934252724_b9e9fe450b.jpg

This is older sister Nhu

13934255734_e806690b96.jpg

And the delightful Dad

13933827305_f243e3cc05.jpg

I think you did an amazing job without my 400mm lens... *grin*

Those photos are definitely of the "I wish I'd taken that" category!

Our gibbons had a baby not long ago, but not with the same adorable result. Apparently it can take the mothers a few goes before they "get it" with regards to raising young... I was told our girl has lost 3 now...

Maybe next time for us?

T.

Our girl (Nellie) has lost 3 now soon after birth... the keepers said that it can take up to 6 births before some gibbon mums "get it"...

Our girl and her man seem to have taken it in their stride, and were getting up to some lovin' the other day, so maybe we could get lucky with the next one...

Oh, and apparently the only time our girl gives her man the time of day is when she's ready for mating or pregnant... so seeing them so snuggly with each other was good.

T.