When Does The Rescue Stop Being A Rescue And More A Community Effort

I do hope I can word this without stepping on toes and have it making sense.

I love rescue groups and I know you all work so hard .There is so much more than the public see"s .Working with animals is hard enough without throwing in everything else .

Lately Ive noticed a group that seems to always pull out more dogs than they have the means to cope with. Im sure some people are jumping up and down now saying a life saved is a life saved and bow down to them. However if you can"t afford to care for that animal or even house him then shouldn"t you wait and do whats within your means first?

The group Ive noticed although is a Rescue group seems to have everyone else bailing them out,paying the bills,being the cares,providing transport and the donations flowing in are enough to cater for several groups across the state yet they claim to be doing it all by one person .Im not an idoit I can see whats going on its advertised for everyone to see and they make every effort to flaunt their wears yet make equally the same effort to ask for more and more.

Half their luck some may say good on them for their efforts to aquire so much but this leaves a funny taste in mouth... Its not the green eyed monster but I just don"t get how they can have so much continue to ask for so much more .and get it yet still claim they have nothing .Pull dogs out with no backup plan no carers and no money Then like the hand of GOD all is handed down in the nick of time.

Wouldn"t it be better to help the ones already in their care rather than get more and more then have everything handed to them on a silver platter That to me isn"t rescue. RESCUE is the men and women who work their fingers to the bone who strive to do the best they can without the need for public glory .Its the rescues who put everything they are into something the truly believe in. Its not about showcasing the numbers you have saved but the ONES you have saved the happy endings and yes even the sadness Its about being human and doing amazing work for those who cannot speak for themselves .Im sure many of you have had to make the heartbreaking decisions I bet you have even missed out on the stuff you shouldn"t have .

For many of you its not about plugging your fundraising raffles but plugging your homeless .

To those Rescues I say THANKYOU :flower:

Why shouldn't rescue be a community effort? I don't know what group you're talking about so can't comment there, but if, as a community, we believe that saving the lives of companion animals is a good idea, then as a community we ought all step up to help.

I'm a bit over the concept of the lone rescuer as hero - if I could work out a way to save more animals, do it with less work and at least break even, I'd be all over that idea.

I guess from the other thread you're talking about a particular group and I'm staying clear of that issue. :p So many opinions so little time. lol.

Re: Community all doing what they can. Giving of their time, money and moral support should be given fair share of thanks. I know volunteers and donors and supporters don't do it for the credit but they all deserve it and probably don't realise how important they are.

:flower:

thats what I mean the community is stepping up and in and giving them everything they need and want and then some They fundraise almost every month in a big way I believe their prizes include $300 watches,$2500 worth of house painting and many many more Not sure how much the tickets are couldn"t see a price .

Without the backing they wouldn"t be able to do as much as they do .I just don"t like that their main focus is always asking for money and donations .They only ever thank the rescuer which is abit sad .

I like the silent get in there and type of rescues the ones who don"t harp on for the glory the ones who don"t save the truly sad cases just so they can get a story out of it .Even when they get the money they need they still ask for more .I think its rude .

There are a number of rescues out there IM SURE that would love this amount of help Which is why I like to help the ones who don"t get as much .Like most people its hard to give to everyone.I look around and try to help those who don"t seem to get as much I would like to think that at least helps them in a small way ....

Are there more rescues in certain states than others? I guess it would also depend on the animals needing saving too? Maybe certain places have more community involvement ? I know my town has very few rescues no pounds and no real vet help for them .so less community knowledge as well as help .

I guess from the other thread you're talking about a particular group and I'm staying clear of that issue. :p So many opinions so little time. lol.

Re: Community all doing what they can. Giving of their time, money and moral support should be given fair share of thanks. I know volunteers and donors and supporters don't do it for the credit but they all deserve it and probably don't realise how important they are.

:flower:

:D :D smart woman on both counts

Maybe Im feeling a little dumb after seeing what gets donated .I don"t have money to spare .So I donate what I can when I can in other things Once I donated washing powder and fabric softener because the rescue had a lot of puppies at the time so I thought washing puppy blankets and such.

I also donate gift cards so they can buy the specials on at coles or woollies .

Also things for the rescuer such as a box of choccies just as a way of letting them know someone cares about what THEY DO.

I often grab all the mark down stuff from the bargin bins such as cat toys food bowls etc. For me I just stock up then dish it out I know its not much and I know cash would help but I figure say $20 wouldn"t make a dint but if you didn"t have to buy washing powder you could buy something else (or give it to a carer) and as Ive always been brought up to believe every little bit helps

However after seeing the goods that get donated I WISH I COULD TOO but it makes me feel my little bit is rather poor does that make sense? Im not asking for a big round of applause or anything but would I be wrong in thinking whats the point when they get such and such ?

Then I think if that was me I would be grateful for anything someone gave me so thats how I like to think the rescues Ive randomly helped feel :o

However after seeing the goods that get donated I WISH I COULD TOO but it makes me feel my little bit is rather poor does that make sense? Im not asking for a big round of applause or anything but would I be wrong in thinking whats the point when they get such and such ?

You've got something in common with rescuers, sometimes it feels like what you do or give is not enough. But it all helps one dog at at time.

Plus you can't buy a kind word :) and you wouldn't believe how far it goes.

Believe it or not, in most cases, it's the smaller and heartfelt donations of goods or services that really do mean the most to many rescues... they know that the person has really thought about what the animals may need and tried to provide what they can... and in many cases those people who make the smaller donations probably had to do without something themselves to provide that little extra for the animals.

Never underestimate how helpful and appreciated even the smallest thing can be to a rescue...

As for those constantly harping for more and more donations and using every trick in the book to make people donate... sometimes I think some of them have really lost sight of what exactly rescue is about... too much time spent constantly fundraising means less time spent actually with the animals they are purportedly fundraising for.

T.

As for those constantly harping for more and more donations and using every trick in the book to make people donate... sometimes I think some of them have really lost sight of what exactly rescue is about... too much time spent constantly fundraising means less time spent actually with the animals they are purportedly fundraising for.

How? I mean, many well run rescues will have teams of fundraisers and coordinators. How does more fundraising equal less time spent with animals?

How? I mean, many well run rescues will have teams of fundraisers and coordinators. How does more fundraising equal less time spent with animals?

The majority of rescues aren't all that well run though, are they?

How many of your charges are kenneled until you can find a carer for them - however long that may take? Are you constantly using "this animal will DIE if you don't donate now" tactics? I don't think so... but there are MANY who are...

T.

I think the majority of rescues are well run. I think it's the minority that aren't.

But still, I don't necessarily see fundraising as taking away from time spent with dogs. It's not like you've got to be patting the foster dogs every second of every day. Really quick and easy to jump online and make a fundraising plea - you can even have the fosters beside (or on) you while you do it.

Donations are like gold, as are donors,and should be treated as such and money raised from donations used directly in the care of the animals rescued.

It depends on what tangents some rescue groups [and this would be a very small minority] go down,which needs cash injection, and expenses which are not directly animal / rescue related but are more rescuer related.

I think a good test is to ask yourself, when spending donated money, would that donor that gave their last $10 be happy that their donation was spent on that expense.Most donors would like to think their donation went to help an animal in need,saved a life,eased pain and suffering,provided food and a warm bed etc

That same donor would not like to think their donation went on fanciful ideas,personal expenses or into someones pocket.

That is why Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing is there [in NSW] to investigate cases where donations are perhaps not properly spent or accounted for.

Trouble is, few people ever report cases of misuse of donations or become aware of them.Taking all claims by rescues on face value, and their sob stories as fact or have access to financial reports of the organisation to see where moneys went.

The heartening aspect is that the greater majority of rescues are well run with only the best of intentions.