So Annoyed!

mixeduppup

So I go to vote and I take horse puppy (Bull arabX). Last year I took Maybe the kelpie and there was no problem. In the line ahead of me is a kelpie and border collie, both owners are allowed to take their dogs to vote no problem, then a lady comes up to me in the line and orders me out of the building. I tell her that she just let two other dogs past and she says "yeah but they're smaller". I said "but mine is in perfect control" and she says "Please leave the building and get someone to hold the dog and get to the back of the line" Really loudly. The lady with the kelpie came out and held horse puppy whilst I went and voted and she was really angry and said how unfair it was. Not happy Jan! Breed prejudice!

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's ridiculous. She was so quiet and happy her tail was wagging the entire time (politely and non-invasively). It was really embarrassing and not fair.

Yep, especially the way that lady dealt with it, making a big spectacle of it all.

I'm glad the lady with the Kelpie gave you some support :)

Frankly I'm surprised they let any dogs in.

Seems to me that there wouldn't have been a big spectacle if you hadn't argued with her.

You don't have a right to take a dog anywhere. Here in the ACT you can't have a dog on primary school grounds without the permission of the principal. Where was the voting booth?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Me too! I came with my mum and was prepared to wait and have mum hold her and then I would go and vote but when I saw other dogs going in with no issue and people with dogs everywhere I figured it would be ok. It wasn't a proper building either but more like a half covered school recess area kind of thing. And I hardly argued. My mother was there and can attest to the fact that i politely mentioned the other dogs and that she was behaving, I was more confused than anything.

ETA: It was at a primary school, I always take my dog to vote and there's never been a problem and the same lady has been there every year. The fact that there were so many dogs in and out of the voting booths obviously proved that they weren't too concerned by that rule. (I wasn't aware of this rule until now though)

Edited by mixeduppup

Dogs are not allowed on our primary school grounds either. People do tether their dogs to the outside perimeter fence sometimes. The school currently tolerates this, (but I have seen one particular dog tied up, and looking very uncomfortable about the passing kids). It's no doubt a liability/ insurance issue. Election day would be no different in terms of risk to the school.

To be fair, it should be consistent. They shouldn't have let the other dogs in either.

Edited by trinabean

Its not entirely true that dogs aren't allowed on school grounds. They are allowed with permission.

Mine have gone up before when pre-arranged with the teacher.

Otherwise we wait outside the school.

In this incident they chose to give permission to other dogs, just not MUP's dog because of the way he looks.

Took Scout in to vote with me just 10 minutes ago. Popped into vote on the way back from the vet [he got his stitches out and took his cone off]. He was getting lots of pats from the adults in the line and the kids nearby were happily patting him. No one said anything about not having him there. He even sat quietly as we waited for a booth to become vacant.

Edited by Noishe

I had no idea about this rule about no dogs on school grounds and apparently neither did a lot of other people who were free to take their dogs where ever they liked.

Rates right up there with knowledge of leash and poo pick up laws I expect.

:)

Edited by mixeduppup

We used to take Sam when Mum would vote at my high school all the time.

Lots of people took their dogs, I was contemplating taking Nova up this morning but wasn't sure how busy it would be, there was only 6 people there so I probably could have smile.gif

If they are going to not let people do it it should be ALL dogs, not pick and choose on size.

There's a photo on Malcolm Turnbull's Facebook page (he's a dog tragic) of the 'official' Puppy Parking Zone outside the Bondi Beach Public School markets. Click to enlarge:

post-3304-0-20375700-1378528717_thumb.jpg

Bit like that at the school where we voted today. Quite a few people had dogs, but they all either left the dog outside with a 'minder', or they tied the dog up in a place away from the flow of the people.

Edited by mita