Fleas

vnv

I posted a few months back about my dog getting fleas. We recently moved house so I can only assume there was a massive infestation of dormant eggs/pupae in the environment.

At first I treated both dog and cat with revolution. Useless. In desperation I went out to woolies and bought around $100 worth of excelpet flea control including capstar - as expected provided temporary relief. The stuff I used on the cat was a 3 month spot treatment.

I then bought panoramis to try. The first month it seemed effective. However after a month she was scratching again so I gave her the next dose and it's done nothing. I constantly vacuum anyway but have been doing extra-thorough vacuums and washed all bedding on hot cycles several times.

My cat doesn't scratch and I haven't seen a live flea on her, but my poor dog. The scratching is CONSTANT.

I have spent so much money already and I just want a product that WORKS.

Can anyone suggest anything??

If you have moved into a property with a flea infestation they it may take 6 months or more to effectively get it under control. Flea bomb monthly, flea treat dog fortnightly and cat monthly (check with your vet that this is safe for you to do with your animals). I use Advantix fortnightly for tick treatment and have no issues with fleas. My property was infested when I first move in and it too an incredibly long time to fix it.

Flea bomb for carpet.

Diatomaceous earth (food safe grade available at produce stores) in the yard.

And Advantage - because you can use it fortnightly during flea season.

I switched to it last year because monthly ones were running out at about the 2 week mark :doh: and were just a waste.

Just HW and worm separately. It doesn't work out all that more expensively.

You can also do a quick dose of capstar if you spot a few tough stragglers while you're getting on top of things.

:)

How come you havn't tried Comfortis yet...surely that would have been number one suggestion on your previous post :)

Because I used Panoramis instead... same flea control properties as comfortis but with heartworm and intestinal worms too.

I have been treating the inside of the house extensively... I will try to find some Diatomaceous for the yard as well.

I guess I will just have to keep trying... six months geez... they are such nasty little buggers!

Eggs can lay dormant for a couple of years to my knowledge so expect to be fighting the battle for up to 2 years. Buy plenty of flea bombs and use them regularly. Vacuum the dog bedding and your carpets and empty the bag every time in a plastic bag and tie it tight.

Eucalyptus is a natural repellent so wash the dogs beds first in a flea wash to kill eggs and fleas and then let them dry. If the bedding isnt washable, make the rinse up in a spray bottle and spray them every day. With the washable ones, once dry, give them a good rinse with eucalyptus in the water and let them dry again.

Use Capstar twice a week for the first two weeks and then reduce to weekly for a few weeks.

Wash your hard floors with eucalyptus in the water. It also smells lovely.

If you really go at it hammer and tongs for the first 6 months or more you will get on top of a bad flea infestation. You have to really keep at it though and understand that the current and future eggs can be dormant for a couple years and still hatch.

Are you close to neighbours yards, if so, chances are they are coming in from there if you have been treating your yard for six months. Do the neighbours have a cat that might be getting into your yard :confused:

When we had that issue years ago the only solution was a pest exterminator, previous owner had been feeding feral cats which lived under the house..............I ended up with couple of kids with infected bites all over them.

Are you close to neighbours yards, if so, chances are they are coming in from there if you have been treating your yard for six months. Do the neighbours have a cat that might be getting into your yard :confused:

If they are breeding in the grass & soil you can use chemicals on your animals to the point of harm & they will not work.

Advice as above.

Go to a fodder store & they will advise you on a suitable product for your yard. Coopex is one & is not expensive. You just spray it all over or use a watering can.

Mortein bombs for your house are available in the supermarket & are also inexpensive. My guess is that they are in your yard.

yes as others have hinted at, I am wondering if the dog is highly allergic to flea bites and that has led to a secondary skin issue, which can be harder to deal with. ONE flea bite will set of 3-4 weeks of intense itching and subsequent scratching & chewing in some dogs. The flea can be long gone but the dog can scratch as if it has a thousand fleas for up to a month from just ONE flea bite! Leading many owners to believe the flea treatments are not effective. Obviously you need to continue trying to find effective flea treatments but if the dog is scratching itself to pieces a trip to the vet for some itch relief in the interim might be advisable to prevent secondary skin infections and give some relief.

yes as others have hinted at, I am wondering if the dog is highly allergic to flea bites and that has led to a secondary skin issue, which can be harder to deal with. ONE flea bite will set of 3-4 weeks of intense itching and subsequent scratching & chewing in some dogs. The flea can be long gone but the dog can scratch as if it has a thousand fleas for up to a month from just ONE flea bite! Leading many owners to believe the flea treatments are not effective. Obviously you need to continue trying to find effective flea treatments but if the dog is scratching itself to pieces a trip to the vet for some itch relief in the interim might be advisable to prevent secondary skin infections and give some relief.

:thumbsup: