How Concerned Should I Be?

silentchild

Much to my horror my dog somehow managed to gorge her way through an entire box of chips from the fish n chips shop. It was my fault really, we had chucked the chips in the bin last night and forgot to lock the bin away when we went out today...

She did a small vomit just now and has just been quiet and subdued. I suspect she is a bit nauseous too. I've let her have plenty of water.

How concerned should I be? Can pancreatitis be triggered by something like this? Or will it just be a case of her feeling a bit miserable for the next few days and then right as rain?

I'm kicking myself.

If you're really worried about something your dog ate, and it's soft (no spikey bits like fish hooks), you can take the dog to the vet for the "vomit treatment", the sooner the better.

There are about three different ways, maybe four, that I know of to induce doggy vomiting. One involves an expensive drug and its antidote... another involves a washing soda crystal - but best done with vet supervision. One I did at home - involves pouring around 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of very salty water down your dog's throat being careful the dog drinks it not inhales it...

And then you get the chippies back and if you're lucky the dog makes the connection between chippies going down, and chippies coming back up and avoids them in the future.

Though I know lots of dogs that happily eat their own vomit if it's mostly food. Yuck.

second thing to do - hot chips reheat beautifully in a sandwich press - ie freeze the extra chippies and reheat later when you're feeling like a naughty snack. Oven tray works too but not quite as well as the sandwich toaster. I put them in for about 5 to 7 minutes or the time it takes me to eat the sandwich I toasted first.

I don't know if a huge quantity of fatty food will cause long term problems. I would guess that a one off isn't a major problem and it wouldn't hurt to fast the dog for one meal or two or feed boiled rice if there is a tummy upset.

She will be fine, just offer her water and dont feed her for 24 hours. It's only potato, oil and salt, she's probably sick from the sheer quantity! My rottie ate 5kg of Royal Canin once, we just didnt feed him for 2 days despite the STILL pleading face he pulled.

Thanks for the advice... the amount she ate was probably like three times her stomach size lol. It was quite a large box of chips. She is only an itty bitty Aussie. I will fast her for 24 hours to be safe.

Mrs Rusty Bucket... for a second there I thought you were suggesting I should reheat the vomited chips and have them as a snack. :laugh: :eek:

She just had chippy diarrhea the size of mount everest holy sh*t it was like the dinosaur poop in Jurassic Park and literally the exact colour of chips. I was so awestruck. Should've taken a photo.

Anyway since taking her huge dump she did some zoomies and is now back to her normal self. I bet she hasn't learnt her lesson!

If she's anything like my BC, no she won't have. Tilba is a real garbage guts. I bought one of those kid's wheely bins as a garbage & so far she's stayed out of it. :crossfingers: My human lot are deadly when we have BBQ chicken, have to remind them every time to put the bones in the bin properly & not leave them on the kitchen bench. :mad

Edited by luvsdogs

Guest Maeby Fünke

My Pug is pretty food obsessed but he hasn't raided a bin yet. Twice, he tore open and ate half a loaf of organic rye bread, which I had left on the back seat of the car (I didn't learn my lesson the first time). He was bloated and gassy both times. The vet said to make sure he had heaps of water.

eta

Both times I was paying for petrol - that's how fast he is!

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Anyway since taking her huge dump she did some zoomies and is now back to her normal self. I bet she hasn't learnt her lesson!

Phew. I bet that's a relief all round.

She hasn't learnt her lesson - she's a dog.

Hopefully there will be no more chippies where she can reach them.

My dog, got savagely attacked by the swing top bin when she was a puppy and has treated it with utmost respect ever since.

My lesson was - anything the dog might find really interesting - put in the tall sulo bin with a lid that she hasn't figured out how to get into. Or keep it in the freezer until the bins go out.

My dog doesn't get any chippies. There are some foods I don't share, no matter what big eyes she has or how much yelling she does. The crisps are another story. The tricks she offers up for those are impressive.

Thanks all, she has been slowly expelling it all out of her system throughout the day with several sloppy chippy poos.... great fun trying to pick them up...NOT! :rofl: So she will be on bland boiled rice and chicken for a few meals to help her guts recover. :)

Edited by silentchild