Vet Bed With No Rubber Or Green Back

memrabull

Hi,

When I first started using Vet bed a number of years ago, I was able to get it without any green or rubber backing.......Does anyone know if you can still buy it?

Our whelping boxes are quite large, so I need to buy the vet bed in pieces of 150x150cm and to get this into the washing machine is quite a chore (before I use it, I run it through the hottest wash twice then through the drier which helps to soften it up). Without the greenback, it was so much easier!

I haven't tried the rubber backed yet as I figured it would be just as bulky?

I love the vet bed and I wouldn't use anything else for my puppies, but I either need to get the unbacked bedding or a bigger washing machine :)

I think this is the one you are looking for: http://www.ozgroomin...&product_id=225

Thanks for the link....is this as good as vet bed?....as in, is it as thick a pile and as absorbent as the green backed bedding?

It is the one I am having the fluff shedding problem with, not as good as the old soft backed stuff but I don't like green or rubber backed either........................some people are hard to please LOL Just needs heaps of washing and whacking!!

I think this is the one you are looking for: http://www.ozgroomin...&product_id=225

Thanks for the link....is this as good as vet bed?....as in, is it as thick a pile and as absorbent as the green backed bedding?

It is the one I am having the fluff shedding problem with, not as good as the old soft backed stuff but I don't like green or rubber backed either........................some people are hard to please LOL Just needs heaps of washing and whacking!!

Does putting it in the dryer help with the fluff problem? Is the pile as thick and does it absorb as well as the backed vet bed, or is it worth the multiple hot washes/dryers and still use the green backed instead? I have heard the rubber backed is softer but the rubber disintegrates (mind you, I do get a bit of green stuff on the floor and in the dryer from the green back but it never really worries me) so I have never tried it.

Edited by memrabull

I have a huge whelping box, 1.4 x 1.4 metres and just use a couple of pieces in it. Much easier to wash then one big one :D

I have thought of doing that, but our mums are usually super restless/klutzy so I figured they would probably be forever messing up the join and I would be constantly trying to flatten it back out.....I have the bedding go under each side of their box with about 30cm spare all round and that is the only way to keep their bed 'intact' :)

The rubber backed one isn't as bulky or hard to was as the green backed

Does the rubber disintegrate? I always buy new bedding for each new litter, so if it only lasts out one litter before wearing down, that would suit me ok......

It does, when I take mine out of the wash the rubber is all through the plush pile reminds me of grated cheese :cry:

Does the rubber disintegrate? I always buy new bedding for each new litter, so if it only lasts out one litter before wearing down, that would suit me ok......

It does, when I take mine out of the wash the rubber is all through the plush pile reminds me of grated cheese :cry:

Thanks......that solves that question....no rubber backed for me :)

But that doesn't happen with mine :)

But that doesn't happen with mine :)

Might take a few washes but all my rubber backed bedding is stuffed now - won't buy it again.

The green back does soften with wear/washing so no biggie there.

I have some of the old blue vet bed (blue backed) from 6 yrs ago and it has only been used for 2 Rottie litters and 1 Pug - still in really good condition. Wish I could find that again - but the green backed is a close second for me.

I did research before buying mine. I did read on quite a few forums and stuff the rubber backed one did lose its rubber backing.

I have bought the green backed stuff. Not too bad. It does soften. My box is 90cm square. I ended up buying one large one and cutting it myself in half. easier to handle and change and the pups did not seem to mind. Easier also to fit into the washing machine.

I have a really old 7 kg machine I have out the back shed for washing of dog and horse blankets. Picked it up on a kerbside clean up. Don't care what hair goes through it. LOL.