Searching For A Foster Carer In Sydney! :(

dogsforjane

What area are you looking for an apartment? There are bucketloads that are pet friendly these days, you just have to know where to look and not always go by the "pet friendly" status on domain/website ads, but actually approach real estate agents directly.

I agree.

Maybe also look in the local papers to see if there are any private rentals that will allow pets and/or put an ad in the 'Wanted to rent' section?

I am sorry to hear you are going through this and wish you (and your beautiful girl) all the best.

I recently had a friend move from Mandurah in WA to Sydney. She sold her WA house but this was not enough to allow her to buy in Sydney so she was looking to rent. She has two small elderly little terriers which she left with her sister in Maitland while she stayed with me and searched for a pet friendly rental - she was looking lower north shore, eastern suburbs, inner west, gladesville, lane cove, hills area. It took her over six months to find a place despite looking every weekend. It is a tough market out there : ( Good luck with whatever you decide, it sounds like you have your dogs best interests at heart.

It's very difficult, as someone who works in rescue (volunteers really, it's not paid) I hear from people with your dilemma all the time.

I'm sorry to say that it's very difficult to resolve this situation, rentals that allow pets are almost impossible to find and units are even harder.

Noone's blaming you for the change in circumstances but I think you need to do what is right for the dog, be unselfish. Either let her go back to the breeder as the first and best option or let a rescue group assist you.

Edited by dogmad

Stanmore has a lot of pet friendly rentals but they're shared houses if that matters?

The inner west is very pet friendly in general, but apartments are harder as you have to find a building where the strata allows pets, then hope the owner agrees too.

Heaps of places in the inner west that aren't apartments but are similarly priced to apartments.

Stanmore has a lot of pet friendly rentals but they're shared houses if that matters?

The inner west is very pet friendly in general, but apartments are harder as you have to find a building where the strata allows pets, then hope the owner agrees too.

Heaps of places in the inner west that aren't apartments but are similarly priced to apartments.

Yep, lots of little semis around here, not all that snazzy like the newer apartments - some have been rentals for decades. My sister just found one recently at Enmore, no issues with pets at all. You just have to be super fast, they aren't listed for long. :)

1379482203[/url]' post='6302173']

I agree with others that you should consider returning pup to the breeder for rehoming. It is best for her and perhaps best for you in the long run though difficult at first. Sounds like you have a difficult time ahead - good luck.

I agree. If you're unable to find suitable accomodation with your dog then the dog should be rehomed. As heartbreaking as it would be for you, it's the best outcome for the dog frown.gif

The other question you need to ask yourself is - even if you can find a unit to rent with a dog - how will you entertain a young dog in an apartment?

I'm imagining that you need to work and/or study or go out with your friends.

A young dog can easily become bored and perhaps noisy or destructive.

You could pay for someone to come and walk her in the middle of the day but this is going to add significantly to your costs.