Paralysis Tick Warning In Sale

Kirislin

I saw this on my facebook page from a friend who lives in the Sale area, posted by the Gippsland veterinary hospital. Not sure if the tick's always been in that area and they're just spruiking for business about tick prevention, but the way it's worded I get the impression it's an infestation and the paralysis tick doesn't normally occur in the area. If that's the case please check your dogs and cats.

EDIT: Just checked the distribution map,it's depicted as being in just the Eastern tip of Vic, to around Lakes Entrance, so it does seem to be spreading South/West. :(

Edited by Kirislin

SE Qld of course is a big tick area & warnings are being given there's many cases at the moment. Tricky, evil little beggars.

Neighbour's racing greyhound developed one limpy back leg. The owner .... or anyone else.... didn't guess this was a tick. Everyone thought it was an injury & a greyhound vet went over the leg & spine thoroughly. Couldn't locate an injury. Then late at night, the grey started getting a bit wobbly on both back legs. Tick? Owner raced him to emergency vet. Search started with the original limpy leg. They found, deep underneath his paw, a dead tick. The tick had been squashed to death. But still enough 'stuff' got into the grey's system to cause the problems. And it first showed up affecting that leg.

Edited by mita

Sale would be a normal tick area. Anywhere up to 30-50 kms inland from the east coast, all the way down to Wilsons Promontory get them, depending on vegetation and bandicoots. Plus a few inland odd spots that they have probably been carried to and settled in. I am in the only corner of Sydney metro area that doesn't have ticks because it gets too cold, hot and dry for them here and we have never had bandicoots.

I live in Sale and have never heard of any dog getting a tick here. I haven't heard or seen anything about ticks recently.

Ticks are MOST DEFINATELY on the move to areas not previously known for or affected by Paralysis ticks. Sale is one of the new hot spots along with the ACT and further south and inland than ever before. In the ACT recently a human bushwalker was discovered with several ticks attached and a search of the area never previously affected, revealed a large tick population. Be viglant as the reported cases already this year are exceeding all of last years cases.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I live in West Gippsland and we have a temperate climate (so does Sale)...

I thought Paralysis Ticks preferred tropical/subtropical, humid conditions - is that a myth or have they adapted to a cooler climate?

I thought Paralysis Ticks preferred tropical/subtropical, humid conditions - is that a myth or have they adapted to a cooler climate?

this is why I've posted the warning, they've moved to an area they're not normally known to be in. I dont think they're adapting to a cooler climate, I think it's because the climate is warming up.

Guest Maeby Fünke

this is why I've posted the warning, they've moved to an area they're not normally known to be in. I don't think they're adapting to a cooler climate, I think it's because the climate is warming up.

Oh okay, thanks. I will have a chat to my vet and see what she recommends :)

Is it only bandicoots that have them? For some reason I thought it was all native animals including possums.

Yes, other animals can carry them but the bandicoots are the main host and usually a good indication that ticks are around.

Ticks like a humid temperate climate, not too hot or cold and not dry. The ACT is usually quite dry but has had a lot of rain over the last couple of years so is much more humid than normal. Ticks could easily have been carried from the coast and established there while the weather is favourable. When the next drought comes they will probably die off again.

We do not get ticks in the SW corner of Sydney because we are in a rain shadow and it is much dryer here than the rest of the metro area where ticks are prevalent. We often watch storms on the radar and see them split so they miss us, going north and south of us before heading out to sea.

Well i'll take back what I said about them not being here. Found out this morning that there has a been a tick case at one of the local vets. Don't know what kind of tick it was though.

It's the paralysis tick you really have to worry about, although I'm not sure if others carry lyme disease, I know that's in the USA but I dont know if it's in Australia.

• 1 month later...

I moved to the gold coast in June - a high tick area. I've never found a tick before and use advantix on my dogs. :cry::cry:

Just lost a bruno to paralysis tick last week.... He got one while I was out for the weekend.... by the time I got back it was too late :cry:. :cry::cry:

What a waste of a wonderfull dog, only 8 years old :cry::cry: .

Too upset to talk about this yet but have to send out tick warning only..

Lots of people have lost dogs to ticks here this season.

Am checking poor bella twice a day... Poor dog....