Wow Have You Looked At The Rescue List Lately?

I"ll be the first to raise my hand and bow down to the great work rescuers do.

Randomly today not sure exactly why I checked out the rescue directory list (just in nsw) on pet rescue .Over the years Ive heard names and so knew of some of them but I never realised just how many there are now.

Do you think people see that as a good sign their dog/cat will be rescued so aren"t AS worried about surrending him/her or feel less guilt when taking them to the pound?

Baring in mind these people have limited idea how whats really involved being a rescue group but simply see it as ----THERES ENOUGH OF THEM (rescue groups) OUT THERE

I've noticed this before although I wonder how many of them are actually active.

There are many rescues that currently don't have any animals, this is understandable for a breed specific rescue or a vet surgery but there are still quite a few generically named rescues with no animals up for adoption. While I'm not suggesting they don't do any rescue you can't just take the number of rescues and assume that 'there are enough of them out there'

There may seem to be a lot of different rescues but there are still not enough spaces to permit rehoming of all rehomable unclaimed strays and surrendered pets.

Not enough pounds work with rescue. Even if they all did, there are simply not enough available spaces/funds in rescue + pounds + shelters.

Some spaces are reserved (breed rescue, type rescue, age rescue, clinic rescue etc.) for specific types of pet and those spaces won't be available for others. This is a good thing, because often those specific types need special care or rehoming knowledge.

Some rescues will ONLY take from pounds, others will take surrenders (i.e. before they reach the pounds), others will take a mixture. No rescue should take more than it has space and funds for at the moment (although a few do this and far too often).

As well as those working hard to rescue or to support rescue, my hat is off to those who are actively involved in making available to the public resources encouraging responsible pet ownership, as the best possible Utopia would be one in which rescue is not needed at all, and only occasional rehoming is required.

There may be a long list but people do drop in and out of rescue for various reasons, you also have to remember that there is quite a few one-man-band rescues that operate on a small scale because they really don't want to expand to having carers. Which is fine.

You also see cat rescuers slow down because last year's kittens are still waiting before they can take more.

Then you get the ones who close their doors because of one too many foster failures. :laugh:

Point being no matter how many groups, there is still a finite number of spaces considering people could just as well foster for someone else.

re surrenders: We've had a few rural surrenders because the owners either couldn't afford the surrender fee and/or the local commonly 'known' group have said they would PTS an older dog. (one adopted dog's original rescue wouldn't take back the dog anyway) Leaving owners with the only alternative being the pound drop-off pens and in that case, if we can help the dog without having to go through the stress of impoundment then it's worked out well for everyone. Fortunately these owners have kept trying and the referral has come from their vets or friends rather than the petrescue directory.

And really, I'm not sure that people look at how many there are because I often meet folks with adopted pets and when asked they say they rescued a dog from PetRescue. :shrug:

Edited by Powerlegs