Reporting Dogs To The Authorities

Agility Dogs

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now, if anyone knows how to stop mongrel teenagers throwing rocks at horses, I'm all ears.

Take photos. Call the police.

This. Who does that?! Little serial killers in the making :mad

Yep. I've caught the buggers in the act. They stand there saying "Not doin nuffin" with a rock in hand. The problem is getting out there in time to take a photo. I'd so love to put security cameras up, sadly, it all costs $$$.

There is a difference in 'reporting' as in the form that says yes you would go to court etc and contacting the council and voicing your concern over dogs out and about. When we only had our older dog she knew to stay at heel if approached by dogs especially hostile ones. Well the two shih tzus that the owner thought was funny when they rushed at and circled behind other dogs. First time I yelled at the owner. Second time I contacted council, third time I contacted council and eventually council gave me the number to call for loose dogs. I simply said I was concerned that the owner found it funny and while I had been able to drive them off I feared if they attacked the wrong dog and owner and if the attacked dog fought back and if bigger damaged the smaller dogs the innocent owner would have all sorts of issues as it would be likely to get the blame. I said the owners need to be made aware and that they were off lead in an on lead area too where there was a playground (they later also fenced the playground) and I told others if they thought the same about those dogs to also contac the council with concerns.

Eventually strange blokes would just be 'hanging around' the park and when I last saw them the dogs were being walked at night on leads.

When a dog came flying out and tried to attack mine (backed off only when I kicked it in the shoulder inches from my dog- poor thing the way it reacted it was like it had been struck before). A second dog came out but kept its distance bouncing around but this one tried again but wasn't chancing my kick again. person finally came out. I reported this as I had to stop that dog at the last second - ranger went there and apparently it was her sons dog and was just staying there (these were ground floor units with no yards of fences) on a temp basis. Ranger advised them on the rules on keeping the dog inside its property (had come onto the footpath).

One I didn't report was a dog that came up and seemed friendly then jumped on the back of my dog and tried to mouth her neck closely followed by the owner who had accidentally left the gate open and the dog had ducked out. It was a genuine error and the dog I think was trying to dominate as there was no drool or damage at all (she was sore in the days following). The dog never got out before and never did after it (and they moved soon after anway) and the bloke was genuinely sorry that the dog had got out. This was before all the above incidents.

There is a difference in 'reporting' as in the form that says yes you would go to court etc and contacting the council and voicing your concern over dogs out and about. When we only had our older dog she knew to stay at heel if approached by dogs especially hostile ones. Well the two shih tzus that the owner thought was funny when they rushed at and circled behind other dogs. First time I yelled at the owner. Second time I contacted council, third time I contacted council and eventually council gave me the number to call for loose dogs. I simply said I was concerned that the owner found it funny and while I had been able to drive them off I feared if they attacked the wrong dog and owner and if the attacked dog fought back and if bigger damaged the smaller dogs the innocent owner would have all sorts of issues as it would be likely to get the blame. I said the owners need to be made aware and that they were off lead in an on lead area too where there was a playground (they later also fenced the playground) and I told others if they thought the same about those dogs to also contac the council with concerns.

Eventually strange blokes would just be 'hanging around' the park and when I last saw them the dogs were being walked at night on leads.

When a dog came flying out and tried to attack mine (backed off only when I kicked it in the shoulder inches from my dog- poor thing the way it reacted it was like it had been struck before). A second dog came out but kept its distance bouncing around but this one tried again but wasn't chancing my kick again. person finally came out. I reported this as I had to stop that dog at the last second - ranger went there and apparently it was her sons dog and was just staying there (these were ground floor units with no yards of fences) on a temp basis. Ranger advised them on the rules on keeping the dog inside its property (had come onto the footpath).

One I didn't report was a dog that came up and seemed friendly then jumped on the back of my dog and tried to mouth her neck closely followed by the owner who had accidentally left the gate open and the dog had ducked out. It was a genuine error and the dog I think was trying to dominate as there was no drool or damage at all (she was sore in the days following). The dog never got out before and never did after it (and they moved soon after anway) and the bloke was genuinely sorry that the dog had got out. This was before all the above incidents.

I have a little dog and I'd wonder if she had lost her mind if she tormented a larger dog, she's never been that way inclined fortunately. :)

I think it's excellent that the local council reacted so well, I'm guessing they were the strange guys hanging around in the park :laugh: sometimes the rangers having a word with someone is enough to make them see the light. Your experience shows it's worth reporting to the council.

I only report the scary aggressive dogs, the other ones who are all fanfare, who do a 180 when you shout, I don't bother about them, they always have an owner in hot pursuit anyway.

Depends on the circumstances. Dangerous dog in dangerous dog collar out and offlead attacking a pedestrian and her two dogs? You're going to get reported.

6 mo german shepherd earlier today, escaping out the side gate as someone was leaving and pottered down the driveway to say hello? Not going to get reported.

Depends on the circumstances. Dangerous dog in dangerous dog collar out and offlead attacking a pedestrian and her two dogs? You're going to get reported.

6 mo german shepherd earlier today, escaping out the side gate as someone was leaving and pottered down the driveway to say hello? Not going to get reported.

Perfectly said. Exactly my POV too.

Walking through the local park yesterday, an off leash medium sized dog, Westie cross I think, came up to us very friendly and respectful, my girl loved him. The owner said before I could speak "I know it's against the law to have him off leash but he walks better with no lead" (well don't they all). I said "Just be careful with him, if he approaches a nervous dog, you could have a problem". I left it at that. Should I report it, perhaps but I won't. What does everyone else think?

We have just had an incident where we had to report a neighbours dog....I hated doing it but the dog would wander out as they left their gates open and I went to let the people know their dogs were out and I got to my letterbox and the dog ran to the middle of the road and stood there with its tail high in the air and its hackles up barking at me.....it also did the same to my husband about a month later....we have lots of children running and riding their bikes past the house and it was an accident waiting to happen.....we also had one of our dogs at the vets for vaccinations and they turned up and was made to go out back and bring their dog out with a muzzle on (I think it was desexed....thank god)....the Inspectors wanted us to go and make a statement so that they could seize the dog but we did not want the dog to be destroyed we just wanted the people to take care and make sure their dog did not get out.....the Inspectors then issued the people with a notice that they must keep their gates shut at all times and they do drive bys to make sure this is happening.....I am glad these people have taken notice of this and I actually saw the owners take the dog for a walk on lead which was great to see :thumbsup:

We have just had an incident where we had to report a neighbours dog....I hated doing it but the dog would wander out as they left their gates open and I went to let the people know their dogs were out and I got to my letterbox and the dog ran to the middle of the road and stood there with its tail high in the air and its hackles up barking at me.....it also did the same to my husband about a month later....we have lots of children running and riding their bikes past the house and it was an accident waiting to happen.....we also had one of our dogs at the vets for vaccinations and they turned up and was made to go out back and bring their dog out with a muzzle on (I think it was desexed....thank god)....the Inspectors wanted us to go and make a statement so that they could seize the dog but we did not want the dog to be destroyed we just wanted the people to take care and make sure their dog did not get out.....the Inspectors then issued the people with a notice that they must keep their gates shut at all times and they do drive bys to make sure this is happening.....I am glad these people have taken notice of this and I actually saw the owners take the dog for a walk on lead which was great to see :thumbsup:

You did the right thing, the whole stance of the dog tells you it's going to bite sooner or later. I wouldn't want a dog destroyed either, but your neighbours did need a wake up call before something awful happened.

Funny you saw them walking the dog afterwards, the dogs that attacked me and my dog are now taken for walks on leashes, instead of being "let out for a run".

You did the right thing, the whole stance of the dog tells you it's going to bite sooner or later. I wouldn't want a dog destroyed either, but your neighbours did need a wake up call before something awful happened.

Funny you saw them walking the dog afterwards, the dogs that attacked me and my dog are now taken for walks on leashes, instead of being "let out for a run".

thanks for that Alison03 I feel awful but I couldn't stand by and let it bite a child or someone walking past....I am glad that your "attackers" are now also under control :)

Edited by dezzyno.1

Walking through the local park yesterday, an off leash medium sized dog, Westie cross I think, came up to us very friendly and respectful, my girl loved him. The owner said before I could speak "I know it's against the law to have him off leash but he walks better with no lead" (well don't they all). I said "Just be careful with him, if he approaches a nervous dog, you could have a problem". I left it at that. Should I report it, perhaps but I won't. What does everyone else think?

What would you be reporting? You weren't involved in, or witness to, an incident.

Do you make a report everytime you see a car that doesn't stop at a stop sign, or doesn't use an indicator?

What would you be reporting? You weren't involved in, or witness to, an incident.

Do you make a report everytime you see a car that doesn't stop at a stop sign, or doesn't use an indicator?

No of course not but I'm asking to see what other people think, because that's what this thread is about, reporting or not. I don't report interactions like that, only where there is aggression shown.

I actually saw the lady again today on our walk, she told me her dog had just run up to a large dog that had "freaked out", she said that must be a nervous dog like you said yesterday. That statement made me cringe. So the problem here is I don't report off leash non aggressive dogs but what about if they are running up to reactive on leash dogs and stirring them up, that's the question??? In the end I said to her that it would be safer to put her dog on a leash, as he's not a big dog and would come off worse in a scuffle. She said she'd think about it. : (

Alison03 - if you see her dog offlead a third time, and it's rushing up to other dogs again... report it. you've already explained to her what can happen, and if she's still ignoring the problem, maybe she needs reminding in a more formal manner.

T.

Alison03 - if you see her dog offlead a third time, and it's rushing up to other dogs again... report it. you've already explained to her what can happen, and if she's still ignoring the problem, maybe she needs reminding in a more formal manner.

T.

She's going to know it was me of course but I may have to do it, her dog doesn't bother mine but it does rev up other dogs. Dogs that me and Bonny just walk passed without an incident, they are those folks who make it clear by their body language they don't want interaction. It's not actually her dog it's her mothers, I did mention it would be awful to take an injured dog back to her Mum. Hopefully when I go on Tuesday she'll have the dog on a leash, she carries one of those extender leashes, but that's better than nothing.

I have a little dog and I'd wonder if she had lost her mind if she tormented a larger dog, she's never been that way inclined fortunately. :)

I think it's excellent that the local council reacted so well, I'm guessing they were the strange guys hanging around in the park :laugh: sometimes the rangers having a word with someone is enough to make them see the light. Your experience shows it's worth reporting to the council.

I only report the scary aggressive dogs, the other ones who are all fanfare, who do a 180 when you shout, I don't bother about them, they always have an owner in hot pursuit anyway.

With the two shih tzus one would be in front and th eother would try and circle around behind and duck in. By the 4th time I came across them from behind bushes I just charged them with all intentions to land a kick and they went from charging at me to run flat out the other way. Owner still did nothing - even changing around the edge once you saw them made no difference as this owner took them off lead to the park and they acted as if the park was their own backyard territory (I watched as a young submissive dog came across them - our younger dog we have now would not have tolerated them in the pack attack which was the exact defensive bigger dog behaviour I wrote to the council about. Yes they were young blokes that were similar types to the rangers that had been seen around the area and just hanging out in the park but not regulars so always suspected they were rangers blending in. Of course the little dogs were never around when I saw the blokes there.

With the two shih tzus one would be in front and th eother would try and circle around behind and duck in. By the 4th time I came across them from behind bushes I just charged them with all intentions to land a kick and they went from charging at me to run flat out the other way. Owner still did nothing - even changing around the edge once you saw them made no difference as this owner took them off lead to the park and they acted as if the park was their own backyard territory (I watched as a young submissive dog came across them - our younger dog we have now would not have tolerated them in the pack attack which was the exact defensive bigger dog behaviour I wrote to the council about. Yes they were young blokes that were similar types to the rangers that had been seen around the area and just hanging out in the park but not regulars so always suspected they were rangers blending in. Of course the little dogs were never around when I saw the blokes there.

The owner of those two shihtzu's must be nuts to let them harass other dogs. Of course they shouldn't be off leash in the park either. It's the small dog syndrome, they are harmless so they can be off leash, thing is if there's more than one they do what you described, work as a pack. Shihtzu's are very fast, my girl out runs many of her playmates, dodges and weaves, stops on a dime and changes direction, not easy to catch. If she was I undisciplined she'd be a problem off leash anywhere. I do hope the rangers catch that Shihtzu owner in the act.

The owner of those two shihtzu's must be nuts to let them harass other dogs. Of course they shouldn't be off leash in the park either. It's the small dog syndrome, they are harmless so they can be off leash, thing is if there's more than one they do what you described, work as a pack. Shihtzu's are very fast, my girl out runs many of her playmates, dodges and weaves, stops on a dime and changes direction, not easy to catch. If she was I undisciplined she'd be a problem off leash anywhere. I do hope the rangers catch that Shihtzu owner in the act.

I've had similar things happen to my dogs on many occasions. One lovely day in the dog park we even had one of the local rangers hanging around as my large poodle was hassled by 2 small white things. They rushed him barking and snarling. He walked away. They chased, snapping at his heels. He trotted to me. As I was putting his lead on and leaving the area, the mutts were still yapping and chasing. Do you think he'd be blamed if he retaliated? It's lucky he's well trained, well socialised, careful of little dogs, and I keep a very close eye on what's going on.

I've had similar things happen to my dogs on many occasions. One lovely day in the dog park we even had one of the local rangers hanging around as my large poodle was hassled by 2 small white things. They rushed him barking and snarling. He walked away. They chased, snapping at his heels. He trotted to me. As I was putting his lead on and leaving the area, the mutts were still yapping and chasing. Do you think he'd be blamed if he retaliated? It's lucky he's well trained, well socialised, careful of little dogs, and I keep a very close eye on what's going on.

Unfortunately If the bigger dog retaliates, they usually get the blame, which isn't fair, its always good to have witnesses to something like that. Your dog is very well behaved not to at least have a snap. :) I have a little dog and I just wouldn't allow that kind of behaviour.