Cowra Pound

Got some good news. The ranger is a gem! He is caring for all 5 dogs personally, ie outside the pound system, for a short period of time and is very happy to work with us and rescue to sort out some temp care until my sister and her hubby get some accom. He had also contacted the RSPCA about the goats but didn't know they were in kid.

So I currently have the lovely Andrea offering assistance with the maremmas and I'm waiting to hear back from the RSPCA and AWDRI about some emergency respite options for the 3 working dogs. The ranger will release them without any charge. I could kiss him!

And even though he had contacted the RSPCA there was nothing on record about the goats so I made a full report to them this morning as there are water issues as well as the problem with foxes and they will need to be monitored. If my sister or her hubby go back to the farm unsupervised to check on them they could be charged with trespassing. You can just imagine the bureaucracy of getting supervised farm access can't you!

Yay for Andrea...she just quietly helps out when she can...a good person!

Had an interesting call from an RSPCA Inspector this afternoon. They are of the opinion my sister and her husband still own the goats and if they are not attended on the farm then they will be getting a smack on the wrist for it. She also said they had plenty of notice they were being evicted and should not have left things till the last minute! What a charming lady!

The gates are all chained and there are signs saying the place is the property of the trustee. They were also verbally advised if they returned it would be considered trespassing. Their names have been removed from the title deeds. Not sure how anything that remains on the property could be considered theirs, but she will ring the Sheriff and clarify and in a best case scenario she hopes the maremma's can go back to the farm to care for the goats (it's the only place they have ever known) and they can go there everyday to check on all the animals, feed the dogs, etc as they are living close by. The working dogs might have to be kennelled and I found a lovely guy who used to shear with my BIL who has offered me a good rate to look after them. He's also used to working dogs. Obviously if this happens I will let Andrea know.

There's lots of good eggs out there!

Thank you for that T! It's not like the RSPCA were helpful with options! Obviously if the goats are still theirs and they get another farm they will just keep them and continue operating as a farm with a smaller livestock base. Hopefully we will find that out today.

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are legal eagles and can assist on the legal side, most of the time for free. A lot of their work involves issues with councils, rangers & rspca overstepping their grounds and generally being unhelpful. Give them a call. Ana is a wonderful lady, she has a number of failed fosters herself. Hope it helps :thumbsup:

Anastasia Smietanka

National Co-ordinator

Barristers Animal Welfare Panel

M: 0438 8490 38

[email protected]

Thanks Loreley. My sister works in constitutional law so has legal assistance coming out of the wazoo. I was just surprised at the RSPCA's position on things. They were fighting the eviction right until they were forced off (wont go into the reasons) and the inspector made out they had been negligent in not organising somewhere earlier for the goats. But as the goats are in kid moving them by vehicle is problematic. They managed to move every other animal somewhere safe, right down to chickens but just couldn't find somewhere safe for the goats and dogs and were hoping they wouldn't even have to leave. They have a farm now and can start emptying the farm house out tomorrow, giving it a clean and then they can move themselves in. The goats will be able to be droved across to the new place. The ranger still has the dogs. It has gone better than expected.