Three Ticks In Three Weeks

Sabbath

Hey guys, I'm having the worst tick season I've ever experienced on the Gold Coast. Three ticks in three weeks. All on my boys head. The second one caused so much swelling to one of his eyes we made a trip to the vet. Antibiotic injection and a steroid injection helped reduce the swelling in a couple of days.

We have a daily tick check and each of these ticks was found in the evening. The nastiest one was only on for a maximum of an hour.

Anyone else on the coast having such a terrible run?

We got a shock warning here. Neighbour's greyhound was limping on a back leg. Everyone assumed it was an injury. Vet tried to find what was hurt. No luck. Then one evening, the grey started to stagger. Owner wondered ,'Tick?'. Back to vet for search. Eventually they found a dead tick embedded deep in the back paw. Had died from being squashed, but still the toxin had got in.

The creepy things can get in the hardest of places to find.

I coming to Qld and staying near Ipswich. haven't lived in Qld for about 25 yrs what the Ticks Fleas and Mossies like around there. Only there for a week. Coming from Tassie freezing down here looks like it is hot up there

Hi Pirate Ipswitch will be hot... we are in Logan got to about 34 here today... Ipswitch is always at least a couple of degrees hotter. We haven't had any issues with fleas or ticks yet :crossfingers: but we are in subburbia with limited garden and the dogs have tick collars on since start of Spring.

I spent time in the Daintree while studying, after watching the removal of 5 leeches from peoples eyes I'll have to respectfully disagree on that point...

Ha! Well yeah, leeches in the eye sounds kinda nasty. Stil...ticks in the eye...

Pirate

Are you coming up for the SG thing? I was up in Feb and going again this November.

Major hazards - snakes, cane toads, fruit bats (Hendra virus). My dog did not get off lead except when doing drills, and a little bit at my cousin's place (Brookfield - enormous house blocks). But Cousin's place had a creek, cane toads, bats and snakes and probably ticks tho she also had chooks and a JRT and a cat which all survived with minimal attention.

Evil hound got twice daily tick checks. I put her on proban (tablets) but you can't get these any more. And she didn't seem all that interested in the cane toads despite nearly stepping on one. The bats were another story. She hates crows and other large flying birds, and as far as she was concerned, the bats were night crows.

We mostly stuck to concrete paths, and short frequently mowed grass and stayed on lead.

Mozzies and ants were a hazard at Chewar - I used talcum powder to deter the ants. And aeroguard for the flies. You can get battery operated fan with soft blades to put in the dog crate - I had two of these. And a garden sprayer for me. And a hat, and a cabana - if you're doing the second week you can share mine especially if you help set it up - I didn't like to leave it up over night - seen them smashed that way tho feb was good.

I'm thinking about getting an ice jacket or cool jacket for me because I really don't handle the heat well. Never mind the dog.

I'm up for the SG doing the first 3 days working and auditing on the Thursday and heading home south Friday so l can catch the boat Monday night. Really looking forward to it. Staying at Marburg in a tent. Was hoping to bring the van but the boat put paid to that. We don't have heart worm in Tassie l normally vaccinate if we are away for a long period of time will just use heart worm medication. I am building a big pile of stuff to go in the car. It is so much easier with the van.

Its been near 30 odd years since l lived in Brisbane. We normally bypass when we visit family.

I'm going to miss you - unless we pass on the highway - I'm going for the second week because there were more sessions and ones that are different to what she did last time she was here. I'd like to do all of them but can't justify driving my cousins nuts for 10 days or the extra time away.

I've got some frontline plus (supposed to work against paralysis tics) - vet said use it as well as the revolution... and maybe the proban that I had from the first trip ... so many chemicals - tho hopefully the years off her life will be not as bad as if she got a tick.

I've also invested in a cool coat for her, and one for me.

This is the soft bladed fan I was talking about.

http://www.snowys.com.au/Tents-Shelters/Tent-Accessories/CPX%E2%84%A2-6-Tent-Fan-w-LED-Light.aspx?c=1&sc=13&id=3188