Clicker Too Loud

I have a cheapie clicker which is too loud for my ears indoors.

Also scared pup.

Any suggestions for a quieter brand of clicker, please?

Or, can I replace the clicker with an enthusiastic, "Yeesss!"

Pup is only day 2 with us.

Standard poodle.

I don't think he'll be difficult to train.

Thanks.

You can use a short, happy "yes". A "yeeeeessss" makes it hard for the dog to know the precise moment you are marking.

Karen Pryor clickers are pretty soft.

I use both the clicker and a marker word (at different times of course!). I like the clicker to mean "we're doing free shaping, go for your life"

You can use a short, happy "yes". A "yeeeeessss" makes it hard for the dog to know the precise moment you are marking.

Karen Pryor clickers are pretty soft.

I use both the clicker and a marker word (at different times of course!). I like the clicker to mean "we're doing free shaping, go for your life"

I second Karen Pryor's I-clicker!

Alternately you could muffle yours by wrapping it in a piece of cloth, or have it in your pocket (makes handling it a bit harder though)

I haven't heard the louder clickers, but agreeing the karen pryor iclickers aren't too loud and shouldn't hurt your ears, otherwise I use a "yes"(means you can move to get reward) or "good"(stay and I'll give you the reward) been following a michael ellis DVD.

We're learning to stand still atm so at the start I've been using the clicker to mark what I want then moving towards just a "good" and delivering the treats in place. I think the clickers are awesome but to be honest I sometimes find it a hassle juggling the clicker and treats lol

Edited by bellske

I started learning about clickers for the first time on the weekend, and the trainer was showing us a few different types. One of them you could adjust the sound volume on it. I cant quite remember but im sure she said something about putting some blue tack on the other types tp make them click softer , i might be wrong? And you know not to ever click them near your dogs ears? I just bought the basic one as it doesn't seem to loud for my young dog.

BTW PW your puppy is very cute :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Cute Puppy :) I have two types of clickers...one is adjustable & the other just clicks. Make sure you have put lots of value on the clicker so that the dog understands & if it is too loud, hold it behind your back or muffle it in your pocket, but obviously don't hold it too close to puppy's ear. I start off with a new dog, putting value on the clicker by throwing a treat & as soon as the pup reached it & is about to pick it up, click & allow the pup to get the treat. A few short sessions of this & when I am certain he knows what it is all about...I put a cardboard box out & then click & throw the treat for every single indication of interaction with the box...its called "The 100 & one things to do with a box" game. He will soon catch on & start offering behaviours to get the click, so you can start to wait for a bit more interaction before clicking. Have fun :thumbsup:

I started learning about clickers for the first time on the weekend, and the trainer was showing us a few different types. One of them you could adjust the sound volume on it. I cant quite remember but im sure she said something about putting some blue tack on the other types tp make them click softer , i might be wrong? And you know not to ever click them near your dogs ears? I just bought the basic one as it doesn't seem to loud for my young dog.

BTW PW your puppy is very cute :)

Yep my old trainer puts blu-tack on the metal part of her box clicker to muffle the noise :)

If you use your voice 1) you can never leave it behind and 2) you always have your hands free!

True!

I'll give voice a try, first.

Clickers are new to me, but very impressed how you can "shape" behaviour to teach a dog exactly what you want them to do.

I don't need puppy to dance, just good dog manners.