Dry Flaky Skin

Zereuloh

I noticed the other day when I brushed Tyrion out that he has terribly dry flaky skin. At first I thought it might be flea related as he had fleas last month and I gave him comfortis which cleared the fleas up but not his coat or skin issues. I gave him a bath in oatmeal shampoo. Its been two weeks since I washed him but his skin is still quite dry and flaky so im beginning to think it is his food. I bathe him once every 6-8 weeks so I don't think its from overwashing. From reading one of the other threads on here I've discovered that people very commonly have problems with BLACKHAWK dog food and dry flaky skin. He usually gets a cup of this and beef puppy mince as his daily food. I'm now tempted to change his dry food and was just hoping for suggestions on what to try next?

Edited by Zereuloh

I would be suggesting you try changing the beef mince to chicken mince before I would look at swapping the BH. Beef can often be the cause of dry skin.

Also look at everything else he is getting by way of treats etc. He may be having a reaction to preservatives, salt etc.

Yes, it could be the BH, but IMO more likely to be the mince beef. Eliminate one thing at a time or you will never know what caused it.

It may not even be diet related. Could be seasonal, environmental allergy, scurf owing to nerves/anxiety... so many things it could be.

good luck getting to the bottom of it.

Edited by dyzney

This exact thing happened to my boy on BH. I swapped him over to grain free Earthborn Holistic & within a very short time his skin & coat improved dramatically.

He hasn't looked better. I make my own Barf as well which includes a mixture of Roo, Beef, Chic, sardines, yogurt & egg's. I also add Omega 3,6&9 + vit. E to every meal :)

Maybe it was the flea treatment that triggered it off.

If he has been on the same diet for a long time its unlikely to be his diet thats causing it now if its occurred recently.

Look for other causes before messing about with diet unless you have recently changed his food.

In my opinion, shampooing every 6-8 weeks is often. Every time you shampoo, the skin's pH balance is affected and is sent into a bit of an over-drive trying to correct it. But that isn't necessarily the original cause of the problem - just something that is potentially exacerbating it. Try giving your dog a bath/rinse using Calendula Tea instead, to begin with. It won't cure the cause, but does clean and soothe the skin.

One way of checking things out, I have found, is by having a hair-DNA analysis done. Non-invasive; not overly expensive; very little effort on the owner's part; and don't have to travel. I use Ross Wilson down here in Victoria (Coburg) for this and treatments to correct what needs to be corrected are based in natural/herbal. A great way to potentially avoid getting on the see-saw of chemical based medications (topical or otherwise). The really up-side for me in having the hair-DNA analysis done was that I could target more clearly the imbalances/needs of my dog's body and supplement accordingly. Takes a fair amount of the guess-work away.

I know by my own boy that when scurf appears on his coat, there's a bit of a down-turn in his system going on. It used to be really, really bad. It is so much better these days it doesn't occur that often (*touch wood*).

Edited by Erny

In my opinion, shampooing every 6-8 weeks is often. Every time you shampoo, the skin's pH balance is affected and is sent into a bit of an over-drive trying to correct it. But that isn't necessarily the original cause of the problem - just something that is potentially exacerbating it. Try giving your dog a bath/rinse using Calendula Tea instead, to begin with. It won't cure the cause, but does clean and soothe the skin.

One way of checking things out, I have found, is by having a hair-DNA analysis done. Non-invasive; not overly expensive; very little effort on the owner's part; and don't have to travel. I use Ross Wilson down here in Victoria (Coburg) for this and treatments to correct what needs to be corrected are based in natural/herbal. A great way to potentially avoid getting on the see-saw of chemical based medications (topical or otherwise). The really up-side for me in having the hair-DNA analysis done was that I could target more clearly the imbalances/needs of my dog's body and supplement accordingly. Takes a fair amount of the guess-work away.

I know by my own boy that when scurf appears on his coat, there's a bit of a down-turn in his system going on. It used to be really, really bad. It is so much better these days it doesn't occur that often (*touch wood*).

I'd love to know more about this dna test! Please feel free to PM about this, one of my dogs had fleas and had a reaction and lost alot of black fur on his back and has always had sensitive skin, any way this test could help me out with what supplements to help him?

O/T Erny but I was searching online for dried Calendula for a friend's Pei the other day and came across this supplier, seemed a good price to me http://www.onlinehorsesupplies.com.au/calendula-petals-1kg-by-country-park-herbs.html

O/T Erny but I was searching online for dried Calendula for a friend's Pei the other day and came across this supplier, seemed a good price to me http://www.onlinehorsesupplies.com.au/calendula-petals-1kg-by-country-park-herbs.html

That's great, Boronia. It's not just about the price though. Check that the Calendula used is organically grown, where it is grown (I prefer Australia grown) and should be pure with no artificial colouring added. Don't know those specific details of the product in the link you've provided. I did check with World-Par-Tea (on-line sellers in NSW) and they ticked the boxes, which is why I generally refer to them for anyone who can't purchase more locally to where they live.

Edited by Erny

I'd love to know more about this dna test! Please feel free to PM about this, one of my dogs had fleas and had a reaction and lost alot of black fur on his back and has always had sensitive skin, any way this test could help me out with what supplements to help him?

I've PM'd you, JessicaM.

Thanks for asking about it.

I'm very much becoming more and more conscientious about the skin telling a story. What we need to do is not so much to try to stop it telling the story, but find out what's causing it to tell the story that it is …… and address that. When that's addressed, the story the skin is telling will change.

Edited by Erny