Why Does My Pug Always Bark At Dusk?

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

He's the only dog I've owned who does this. There's nothing/no one outside, except for the birds settling in the trees. Once the birds settle, he stops. Maybe he just doesn't like birds??

My dog hardly ever barks. But he barks at the neighbourhood cats who invariably roam at dusk (no cat containment laws here). There are a few cats who make a point of climbing on my car in the carport. Bruno can see them through the gate. Not. Happy. Jan!

Dogs are 'crepuscular' which means that they are more active at dawn and dusk. This is the best time to hunt or be active in other ways. So many dogs are still naturally more active at this time. Barking at dusk is pretty common for dogs.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Dogs are 'crepuscular' which means that they are more active at dawn and dusk. This is the best time to hunt or be active in other ways. So many dogs are still naturally more active at this time. Barking at dusk is pretty common for dogs.

Yes, I wondered if it was a leftover thing from being a wolf. I thought it might be a way of signalling to the pack that it's time to hunt.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm thinking he's guarding in a way.. During day time it's normal to have all sorts of sounds going on outside but at least my dog will be a lot more alert during night time and will bark at sounds that he wouldn't really care about during the day.

Haha, so funny to think that in his mind he's guarding us :laugh:

Guest Maeby Fünke

Actually, yes, I think he is guarding because at night, when I have a shower, he sits with his back to the shower door until I've finished. He doesn't do that during the day.

We call it "bark O'clock" around here, and our Jack Russell Tippy was a master of that timeslot. He always got special time locked inside with us at that time of day, it would drive us batty otherwise, we had to manage the situation, there was no way we could train him out of it.... With him it was definitely the birds fluffing around preparing to roost.

Di

Mine gets the night barks in the twilight - usually though the house roos [wild ones that hang around the house] are moving around to different eating patches, the birds are roosting and I'm pretty sure the dog thinks the kookaburras are actually laughing specifically at him, so voices his consternation.

My two greyhounds missed that memo :laugh:

Haven't you guys ever read 101 Dalmatians? It is called the "Twilight Barking" and is probably our equivalent of the 6 o'clock news! :rofl: According to Walt Disney anyway.

OK, so that is utter bunkum, but you never, ever know!!! :laugh: :thumbsup:

We are on five acres, but we are adjacent an area with more high density housing. In the evenings you hear all the dogs go nuts.

It is quite remenicent of the "Twilight Bark" from *Disneys 101 Dalmations

Our German Shepherd barks if someone walks past our place, but mostly he barks 5 minutes after all the lights in the house go out :scold: