Could It Be The Shampoo?

akristin

I am well aware that labradors LOVE water, however I think maybe mine loves water a bit too much that she continually rolls in muddy puddles whenever the rain comes thus I wash her (sometimes with her shampoo and sometimes just the rinse the mud off).

However, it's a bit of an issue when people come over having them smell this strange odour and commenting on it ..it's usually when my lab comes into the house.. This wet-dog kind of odour occurs even after giving her a bath!

Does anyone have natural ingredients that compensate as a shampoo? If so, I'd like to hear from you :)

Thanks!

I would be looking at diet. I'm a firm believer in attacking from the inside out not just topically! However, too much washing can overstimulate the sebaceous glands so another alternative would be a chamomile tea rinse made famous by DOLer Erny :laugh:

The only time my dogs have had a smell about them was when my boy became grain intolerant. He started having this really funny, unpleasant odour about him. Put him on a grain free diet & within 24 hours smell disappeared. So I would be looking at diet as well. I dry my dogs off with a dog dryer if the weather is overcast/cold & they are unable to dry naturally within a reasonable time frame. I usually have the dryer on cool setting though so as not to damage their coat.

I would be looking at diet. I'm a firm believer in attacking from the inside out not just topically! However, too much washing can overstimulate the sebaceous glands so another alternative would be a chamomile tea rinse made famous by DOLer Erny :laugh:

Thanks, Trifecta :D. Agree with the above - except it's "Calendula" Tea wash/rinse that I regard so highly and use with much success. Leaves my boy smelling fresh and skin and coat feeling clean, without the side-effects of skin being stripped of oils. It is the latter that can have a dog smelling, because with the oils stripped (i.e. pH levels imbalanced) the body goes into over-drive to correct the balance, and this can result in the over-production of oils ….. which can add to smell.

Not to suggest Calendula Tea be used every single time. I think a rinse of after a lark in dirty water using fresh tepid-cool water in between times should do. But some dog-hair does smell a bit like wool drying. I think that's fairly normal for some. But they shouldn't smell when they are dry.

PS - I can't see why a Chamomile Tea rinse would be a bad thing either, although haven't used it myself and would need to google it up for info. Would have a relaxing effect (or perhaps not noticeable for an energetic lab!! lol) and a soothing effect to the skin.

I'll be revising her diet and see if that does it ..Also I just googled a chamomile tea rinse will be trying that out and reporting back within a few days! Thank you :D

The only time my dogs have had a smell about them was when my boy became grain intolerant. He started having this really funny, unpleasant odour about him. Put him on a grain free diet & within 24 hours smell disappeared. So I would be looking at diet as well. I dry my dogs off with a dog dryer if the weather is overcast/cold & they are unable to dry naturally within a reasonable time frame. I usually have the dryer on cool setting though so as not to damage their coat.

I was looking at switching over to a raw diet they're currently on a brand called Beneful which does say on their packaging that there's grains and such within the ingredients! I'm still researching how to go about giving Marley a raw diet.. my two other dogs seem fine with Beneful but still deciding if I should just switch all of them to raw once I've figured how to give them proper proportions etc

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks, Trifecta :D. Agree with the above - except it's "Calendula" Tea wash/rinse that I regard so highly and use with much success. Leaves my boy smelling fresh and skin and coat feeling clean, without the side-effects of skin being stripped of oils. It is the latter that can have a dog smelling, because with the oils stripped (i.e. pH levels imbalanced) the body goes into over-drive to correct the balance, and this can result in the over-production of oils ….. which can add to smell.

Not to suggest Calendula Tea be used every single time. I think a rinse of after a lark in dirty water using fresh tepid-cool water in between times should do. But some dog-hair does smell a bit like wool drying. I think that's fairly normal for some. But they shouldn't smell when they are dry.

PS - I can't see why a Chamomile Tea rinse would be a bad thing either, although haven't used it myself and would need to google it up for info. Would have a relaxing effect (or perhaps not noticeable for an energetic lab!! lol) and a soothing effect to the skin.

Ah I just replied in the post above about the chamomile tea , Thanks for the correction will be researching the Calendula tea wash as well! I'll perhaps try the Chamomile tea after an exhaustingly loong walk as a relaxing reward .. sort of like aroma therapy I suppose :rofl:

We have these products - they are colognes which can be used on the dog as required and living areas etc all based on natural ingredients and essential oils incuding chamomile, lavender etc

Last for ages too - http://www.shalarm.c...x.php/shop/dogs

If you're interested in giving them a go shoot me a pm and Ill sort something out for you

Edited by Steve

I am well aware that labradors LOVE water, however I think maybe mine loves water a bit too much that she continually rolls in muddy puddles whenever the rain comes thus I wash her (sometimes with her shampoo and sometimes just the rinse the mud off).

However, it's a bit of an issue when people come over having them smell this strange odour and commenting on it ..it's usually when my lab comes into the house.. This wet-dog kind of odour occurs even after giving her a bath!

Does anyone have natural ingredients that compensate as a shampoo? If so, I'd like to hear from you :)

Thanks!

Do you use a proper dog shampoo? Don't use human shampoos as they are a different PH and are harsher and strip the natural oils form the dogs coat. I think you definitely need a dog dryer as you can ensure the dog is thoroughly dry. Moisture is what causes bacteria to flourish. At the same time blow out all the dead coat and reduce shedding. it is important to make sure they are dry between their toes too. Try one of there they will post it out to you, I have had this one for years and it is excellent.

http://www.petnetwork.com.au/variable-speed-dryer-with-heat-blue-cs2400w/

Also you could try petway everyday pink shampoo. It is the best shampoo I have found for getting a dog really clean, it removes all the build-up, and makes them smell divine for ages.

https://www.petwaypetcare.com.au/shop-online.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=1

Edited by Florise

Thanks, Trifecta :D. Agree with the above - except it's "Calendula" Tea wash/rinse that I regard so highly and use with much success.

I think my fingers & brain were working independently of one another yesterday. :laugh:

I was thinking of calendula but typed chamomile for some reason. :confused:

However, I just googled it http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chamomile.html - what a wonderful herb, many more benefits than the ones commonly known :thumbsup:

Edited by trifecta

We have these products - they are colognes which can be used on the dog as required and living areas etc all based on natural ingredients and essential oils incuding chamomile, lavender etc

Last for ages too - http://www.shalarm.c...x.php/shop/dogs

If you're interested in giving them a go shoot me a pm and Ill sort something out for you

Hi Steve, Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know if we decide on going for the colognes for now though we're goingto have a go with the dryers!

Thanks!

Do you use a proper dog shampoo? Don't use human shampoos as they are a different PH and are harsher and strip the natural oils form the dogs coat. I think you definitely need a dog dryer as you can ensure the dog is thoroughly dry. Moisture is what causes bacteria to flourish. At the same time blow out all the dead coat and reduce shedding. it is important to make sure they are dry between their toes too. Try one of there they will post it out to you, I have had this one for years and it is excellent.

http://www.petnetwork.com.au/variable-speed-dryer-with-heat-blue-cs2400w/

Also you could try petway everyday pink shampoo. It is the best shampoo I have found for getting a dog really clean, it removes all the build-up, and makes them smell divine for ages.

https://www.petwaypetcare.com.au/shop-online.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=1

We do use proper dog shampoo the its a medicated shampoo which prevents fleas .. it's one of those dog shampoos in the pet isle in woolroths

Thanks for the shampoo suggestion! Definitely will try give the petaway shampoo a go :thumbsup:

Sorry, no idea other than the wet dog smell.

Anal glands ok?

Teeth ok?

Ears?

Eating own poo?

Licking anal gland area?

Dryers http://clipperworld.com.au/dryers-c6.html

Everything seems normal, will keep monitoring but so far I think it's just from diving into too much water :laugh:

Beneful is a fairly cheap dog food and you will get out what you put into the dog.

Try a premium/super premium food e.g. Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Black Hawk (if it suits) or switch to well researched raw diet and I bet the smell will abate.

Royal Canin make a food especially for Labs with the EPA and DHA increased to counter skin and particularly ear problems in Labs.

I don't work for them, I've just used it myself and know other people with Labs who find it to be good.

I haven't been able to prepare raw in the past but my dogs have always been on a good quality dry and people tell me my dogs don't smell.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

We recently trialled Earthbath http://www.earthbath.com/index.php in our Gisborne grooming salon, and our groomer (13 plus years experience with a real interest in natural products) will not use anything else now.

The Mango Tango leaves a gorgeous fresh smell, and there are spritz's and wipes for between baths.

It just leaves a lovely clean dog with no residue on the coat.

Sags

:)