Automatic Dog Food Dispensers

~Anne~

I'm looking at purchasing an auto food dispenser for the dogs when we stay out overnight. A friend has one that has a timer, can record a voice message for the dog and you can set the amount of food it dispenses.

Before I rush out and buy one I thought I'd check to see if anyone has used them. What was your experience with it? What brands are good and bad?

:laugh: Yes. I picture that is exactly what they will do!

My friend's one sits on the ground and her little fluffies barely look at it. I had already thought that I will have to sit it up high on a bench and it will have to spit the food all over the floor because I know they will tear the machine apart to get more food from it if it is on the floor!

Edited by ~Anne~

I would recommend the two-legged type of food dispenser, if you have a neighbour that you trust.

Or perhaps put their food bowls down in advance in a locked room, then use one of these on a timer. (You will of course, need checkerplate steel or similar on the lower half of the door to prevent them breaking down the door before it opens! laugh.gif )

No need for auto food dispenser. Dogs can go overnight without food.

If you head off on a Saturday morning you can feed the dog - they will be fine till you get home on Sunday evening.... as long as they have plenty of water.... It doesnt matter if a meal is late..... most dogs don't need food twice a day or for that matter even 7 days a week.

If away longer than the overnight then they need human contact.

No need for auto food dispenser. Dogs can go overnight without food.

If you head off on a Saturday morning you can feed the dog - they will be fine till you get home on Sunday evening.... as long as they have plenty of water.... It doesnt matter if a meal is late..... most dogs don't need food twice a day or for that matter even 7 days a week.

If away longer than the overnight then they need human contact.

You are technically correct, but you will never convince a Pug that going without dinner once in a while won't hurt.laugh.gif

:laugh:

RuralPug's post sums it up.

They're very used to being fed twice a day and I'd rather give them a little of something if I can. I've left them 3 times now, all for varying lengths of time, and the longest was from 2pm sat until 11am Sunday and they've survived without a full meal. I'd like to know they were getting a nibble the next morning though.

I would never leave them any longer than overnight without someone calling in on them.

I've ordered this food dispenser (although mine was cheaper). As per Minimax's post, now the fun begins. :laugh:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LARGE-10-LITRE-AUTOMATIC-DIGITAL-PET-FEEDER-AUTO-CAT-DOG-FOOD-DISPENSER-NEW-/320968631008?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item4abb38a2e0

Edited by ~Anne~

Small dogs in particular may need feeds twice a day to regulate blood sugar. I tried one of those auto feed things with the voice recorder because I thought it might help with the separation anxiety. All it did was scare him :)