Titre Testing V Vaccination

Pjrt

Hi everyone

After having yet another frail old teenage dog handed to me with a proud owner stating they were just at the vet for their annual jabs etc, I am looking for some real life stats about people who have been Titre testing instead of vaccinating. It's been around for a few years now and I am asking for people to tell what results they are getting from titre testing. Has anyone found they still need to vaccinate? How many years have you gone vaccination free off the titre test result etc etc. You get the idea.

I myself am all for puppy vaccination schedule, and in years gone by I would say do the first annual booster and then no more vaccs for life, but now I'm even second guessing whether that first annual booster is even necessary, I guess a titre test instead.

I have so many clients still vaccination dogs annually into their late teens, and some of them having reactions to them, and when I hint that perhaps it's not necessary anymore they look at me like I have lost my marbles. It's very hard to try to explain to these people.

So, I was wondering, for example, is there anyone out there who has been doing titre for several years and found no need to vaccinate? Or tell me your experiences

Edited by skyefool

It's early days here as my dog is still young, but I'll share our experience so far. Bruno had the two puppy jabs, he was quite sick after the 12 week one. I skipped the 12 month booster (I talked to my vet, who had already taken up the 3 year vaccination protocols). When Bruno was titre tested at 2 1/2 years old he still had strong immunity to Parvovirus (1:80) but a much lower result for distemper (1:5).

My vet's opinion is that this is because distemper is no longer something that dogs are frequently exposed to in the environment. As opposed to Parvo, which is common in the environment. If we could have just boosted the distemper separately we would have, but it's not available on it's own, so Bruno had a C3.

I'm hoping we can get about 3 years between vaccinations now.

Guest Maeby Fünke

My vet told me the same thing about Distemper (and Hepatitis). I don't understand why dog vaccines aren't available separately. Humans have their shots done separately.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Skyefool, if you find a vet who titre tests in Adelaide please let us know.

Most clinics I spoke to didnt even know what it was and my vet quoted me some crazy amount.

Ta

This is such a big part of the battle to get pet owners to accept change. It seems many veterinarians, most perhaps, either don't accept the science, are too scared to change, or just find it too hard to deal with skeptical or fearful clients.

I also would like to hear of Adelaide veterinarians who offer titre testing, triennial vaccination protocols, and /or are proactive with making changes and helping clients understand these changes.

I am for ever grateful for having a forward thinking honest vet who more than twenty years ago had the gumption to answer my vaccination questions honestly and scientifically, not just rattle off manufactures recommendations .

I don't know why many vets don't follow the up to date protocols recommended by the AVA regarding yearly vaccinations - that is core vaccines should only be given every three years. Many don't even seem to be aware of them.

I also have had an elderly neighbour recently tell me she had just been to the vet with her dogs for their yearly vaccinations. The age of the dogs? 14 and 11 :( Why would a vet keep giving elderly dogs yearly vaccinations? You could never convince many people that the vet does not know best - especially elderly people who think that "professional" people should never be questioned.

After ringing around trying to find a vets receptionist that actually knows what titre testing is, then getting the crazy quotes I finally caved in to pressure and got my dog his yearly vaccination...again. On speaking to the vet during our consult he said that yearly boosters possibly weren't necessary but until we have 100% proof we still need to er on the side of caution. He said it was the drug companies who would loose out and this is all partly their fault. Titre testing is just too complicated having to send it overseas. It's a conspiracy!

I have a local vet who does in-clinic titre testing, although I'm unsure as to whether it differs to the tests they run O/S.

Whilst I can see the drug companies not wanting to lose money annually, there is also a huge concern regarding dogs' overall health too. By pushing an annual vaccination, it gives an owner the chance to have their dog looked over every year. I'm not talking about the standard DOL member either, I'm talking about the owners who won't go to the vet for any other reason than to get their dog vaccinated.

I don't want to think about a poor arthritic dog struggling to walk and in pain purely because it hasn't seen a vet for a few years. Until ALL owners are responsible in that they continue to take their pets for annual check-ups (or immediately when they notice something wrong/different), I won't be condemning the annual vaccine.

Thanks for posting those videos.... good to get the point of view from some of the originals. This subject is one of my pet peeves

Like many here I get very frustrated with how many vets insist on the annual vaccination - and now some talk about having brought in a tri-annual injection as an alternative (mind you also more expensive!). My understanding is that the normal vaccination is sufficient for at least 3 years and the tri-annual is just the drug company using a marketing ploy.

Many of the trainers/vets I've spoken with in USA and parts of Europe follow the same recommendations as Jean Dodds and it is annoying how the public is being given incorrect info by the 'vet practice' - unfortunately it would appear that most boarding kennels and many dog clubs still insist on the annual certificate.... frustrating that they can't adapt and update.... personally think they want the easy dollars on the annual vaccination - $76 for sticking a themometer in one end and an injection in the other..... plus selling loads of extras such as worming, flea and flood at inflated prices.

Even know a vet who is offering a health package for pups - pay an annual fee (over $500) and you get free desexing, vaccination, worming, flea treatment and puppy school - then 20% of clinic visit or surgery - then an annual fee for adults at over $300 for annual vaccination, flea treatment, worming and 20% discount of clinic or surgery.....

I run a boarding kennel and accept (and use on my own dogs) the AVA recommendation. Happy also to accept the titre testing.... however when I asked the practice about titre test I was quoted $240 per dog..... sheese nobody is going to pay that......

I've starting giving my kennel and training clients a vaccination sheet, quoting AVA recommendations and links to Jean Dodds and Dr Bruce Syme web sites for further support.... if they have the info they can make their own choice.... happy to do my bit to save clients a bit of money.

if your vet uses VetPath in WA to run the titres it is cheaper. Ive been doing three puppy shots, a yearly booster and then titres for a few years now. The dogs who have passed have been 13, 13, 11 and 12...not bad for large and giant breeds. The titres have always shwon adequate immunity and ive never needed to revaccinate.