Tick Prone Area

ChewieTAG

Hi, this might be a silly question embarrass.gif and I did try to search through the forum. Didn't quite get enough information, but here goes...

Can anyone enlighten me if living around Sydney CBD, maybe North Sydney, Neutral Bay, Crow Nest, Waverton.... is highly tick prone area? Is there a higher chance of tick paralysis? confused.gif

I know and understand ticks are everywhere, but want to know if the surrounding areas of the CBD or North Sydney are extremely prone to ticks throughout the year, especially Spring / Summer.

Best calling a vet in the area you're going to and asking them about the prevalence.

I cover for ticks year round though, and I live within a 10k radius of the CBD, because my guys swim a lot and are roaming through trees and parks and whatever and I just feel safer.

Best calling a vet in the area you're going to and asking them about the prevalence.

I cover for ticks year round though, and I live within a 10k radius of the CBD, because my guys swim a lot and are roaming through trees and parks and whatever and I just feel safer.

oh thanks for the info. Do you see any ticks on them? I mean one or two or a lot... ?

I would think that if there is a fair amount of bush/foliage around, and native animals such as bandicoots, roos, koalas etc then there is a high probability. My parent's dog picked two up recently on a headland, very minimal amount of scrub, no trees and obviously battered by the weather but there they are. Another bad spot in my particular region is the scrub behind the beach that you have to walk through to get to the beach. Hence, it's not always the obvious bushy places that ticks live in and I would cover for ticks if I lived on the east coast of NSW/QLD regardless of city living or not.

I've walked both my dogs in the bush everyday and never had a tick. Hank was covered with a collar and advantix, Jake only with frontline as he is allergic. I live on the upper north shore and I've known people who never walk their dogs get ticks so I think prevention and diligent searching are your best bet.

That being said areas around Avalon and the coast have a reputation for being tick problem areas. I've not heard anything either way about the areas you mention.

oh thanks for the info. Do you see any ticks on them? I mean one or two or a lot... ?

I've never seen a tick on them, I'm just paranoid :p

I've walked both my dogs in the bush everyday and never had a tick. Hank was covered with a collar and advantix, Jake only with frontline as he is allergic. I live on the upper north shore and I've known people who never walk their dogs get ticks so I think prevention and diligent searching are your best bet.

That being said areas around Avalon and the coast have a reputation for being tick problem areas. I've not heard anything either way about the areas you mention.

Thanks so much. I might look at upper north shore are

Yes lower north shore is a very high tick area. In summer you will usually see around 1-2 tick cases per week on average. I used to live around there and also work in a vet practice.

Here on the Central Coast we are a very high tick area. I was at my vet last week and they have a chart on the front desk that tells how many tick cases they have had in the clinic. Since tick season started they have not been under double figures peaking in the month of October with 29 cases treated. We are only one hour north of Sydney.

The northern beaches is a very tick prone area but we seem to live in a tiny little 'safe' pocket and don't get them at our place (touchwood). My dad lives in a scrubby part of the beaches and the record is 19 ticks pulled off one of our dogs in a day, thankfully that dog was immune to ticks.

Inner West has been seeing tick paralysis cases too.

Really have we?? Scarey I have not heard of one in twenty years. Just an extra thing to add to my list :( :(

Believe it was Leichhardt. Council wood chip/ mulch seems to be where they are.

Inner West has been seeing tick paralysis cases too.

Really have we?? Scarey I have not heard of one in twenty years. Just an extra thing to add to my list :( :(

Believe it was Leichhardt. Council wood chip/ mulch seems to be where they are.

Yup, this is where we are and our local park woodchiped this season, all the dogs love rolling in the giant piles. I've also heard ticks tend to be in woodchiped / mulch areas.

Edited by minimax

I'm on the upper north shore - there are some places around that have terrible tick problems - Wahroonga, Turramurra, St Ives.

I used to walk my dogs in Wahroonga and they'd get ticks every time in tick season.

My vet at Hornsby and the St Ives vets are always both full of tick cases constantly during the season. My vet said they've had quite a few deaths already this season.

I'm ok in my garden and I generally walk around the neighbourhood but my neighbour's dog has picked up a tick just walking in the local area so they are around.

the ticks do seem to be spreading across Sydney, heard about a sick dog in Rose Bay last week.

Edited by dogmad

The only part of Sydney that is safe from paralysis ticks is the south west. West of a line roughly from Campbelltown to Parramatta and south of the Great Western Highway is tick free but everywhere else requires year round tick protection. Even the Blue Mountains and Southern Highlands have become tick areas in the past few years. Anywhere within 10kms of the coast is very high risk but other areas with rainforest type growth and bandicoots in residence are also risky.

There are ticks where there were none in previous seasons. Reptiles and native animals are the culprits, as is the unseasonably hot weather we had in winter. I'm a vet nurse in the Upper North Shore and we were having tick paralysis cases all through winter. Just this past month, a puppy was on a ventilator for days and ended up dying at SASH - she picked up a tick from her own backyard in Epping. Tick cases are now an almost daily occurrence. My best advice is to know where the nearest 24 hr vet is (and how to get there), shave your animals if you can, do a daily tick search and use tick preventative. Ticks can be in odd places too; we had a cat with 2 ticks attached inside its eyelid! Most will be from the front legs forward too.

I used to live in North Sydney and Cammeray, and my husky picked up a tick in summer. Thankfully we caught it before she was symptomatic, and she didn't seem to be effected by it at all. I pulled a tick off a little mini foxy there too. I think, as someone else suggested, that being so close to the coast might make the lower north shore a high risk area.