Bilingual Commands ?

if training a dog - the word you use does not HAVE to the correct verb :D

Your dog can just as easily SIT if you have trained it using "grape" - so using another language - pick a word- any word!! LOL. perhaps use "Plie" (plee-ay) (fold/bend?)

trouble pig lies down when told by the boss "I'll kick you in the guts " ...... she then gets a toe belly rub ;)

Horrible Herbert decided he did not want to go to the 'crate'. Tried to make being crated on his terms.

I changed the command to zulu. He races into the crate everytime.

Win-win.

if training a dog - the word you use does not HAVE to the correct verb :D

Your dog can just as easily SIT if you have trained it using "grape" - so using another language - pick a word- any word!! LOL. perhaps use "Plie" (plee-ay) (fold/bend?)

trouble pig lies down when told by the boss "I'll kick you in the guts " ...... she then gets a toe belly rub ;)

Horrible Herbert decided he did not want to go to the 'crate'. Tried to make being crated on his terms.

I changed the command to zulu. He races into the crate everytime.

Win-win.

Zulu .. :) like it!

My Kieran - his "down and switch off ' phrase was "Resting Puppy" ( he was 42 kg )

Well that would be the point you should have mentioned. I have commanded a dog in french before so I know what the words sound like. If a word whatever the language is potentially confusing you either make a point of making a distinction or use a different word.

Two different languages even for the same command shouldn't be a problem for a dog. My dog has some unique commands in different languages, as well as two different words/languages for the same command e.g. finish,owari. (English/Japanese)

I didn't think two words for the same command was a good idea, but my dog doesn't have any problems.

Edited by Sparden

Dogs pick up on contextual and body cues so much better than verbal anyway. Tailwag and I have different commands for everyday things (wait vs stay, drop vs down, free vs OK) as well as different agility commands (not just names for obstacles, but also for direction changes and tight turns). The dogs work it out LOL I knew an agility handler who used the word "back" for everything- move laterally away and hold the line, turn away for a rear cross, take the far side of a jump, perform a serpentine, and in some situations it meant come closer LOL Her dogs always seemed to know what she wanted, even if spectators didn't :laugh: